questions for anti-hunters?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Bern80, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    You really don't want to start a 'poor defensless animal' debate. You'll lose.

I didn't want to sidetrack the other thread and because it's an interesting debate I created this thread. People have certain key issues that they will defend to the nth. Hunting would be one for me.

I have thought about it for sometime as a hunter and have come to the conlcusion there is no logical reason to be against hunting. We can start with MM's assertion "the defensless animals".

Obviously a statement by someone who doesn't know much about them or hunting them. As if it's as simple as walking out shooting a deer whenever you feel like. Doesn't really work that way. Deer (for example) have some major advantages over humans. 1)they can smell better than you. 2) they can hear better than you 3)they can move faster than you. 4)their hides are well suited to blending into their environments 5)they move almost silently. Five pretty decent defenses for animals that MM claims don't have any defenses at all. If you're hunting in the woods a deer will smell you long before you will ever see it, he will hear you before you ever see him.

Here are my questions the some of them assume you aren't a vegetarian

Why do you prefer not knowing where your meat comes from?

Why are you not oppossed to killing poor defensless cows or other store bought/fast food bought meat?

Why are you not also oppossed to wolves killling deer for food? Their killing methods are far crueler than a humans.

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,029
    There was recently an article on the effect that less hunters are having on animal protection and conservation efforts in all States. Without hunting licenses those programs would have little to no cash.

Further if citizens did not hunt then the Government would have to hire "buffalo" hunters to thin all the herds of animals that are thinned by hunters. In some States that already happens because there just are not enough citizen hunters.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The Texas Trophy Hunters Assn works in conjunction with conservationists in this state and hunting strictly regulated. Without deer hunters, the animals would starve to death via overpopulation.

4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I'm not a hunter. I eat meat. I used to investigate livestock theft (among other agricultural offences) for a living. I had to go into slaughterhouses. I hated it. I don't have a problem with someone who goes out, gets a clean kill and takes their quarry back to dress it and use it for human consumption. Anyone who eats meat (doesn't matter what type) and who chastises hunters needs a reality check. How the hell do you think that meat gets into the supermarket display cabinet? You don't want to know, trust me.

5. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,260
    I have no problem hunting to eat. Don't like hunting for sport so much.

6. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    That's why stag hunting with dogs was banned in the UK during the 1950s/1960s. It's why fox hunting with dogs is banned in the UK now. Those Hooray Henry bastards who want to get half pissed on port and ride their horses and set the hounds on foxes are exactly that type, the ones who want to kill without eating their quarry. As Wilde put it, "the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable.". A hunter going out in the bush, usually on foot, usually armed with only a rifle and some bushcraft tools, who may take hours and maybe days to find his or her quarry and then take it with a clean shot is in no way anything like those ponces with red coats and Home Counties accents.

7. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,260
    I hear ya brother....to kill something for the thrill of it seems weird to me. Not my kinda thing. Those poncy hunters don't even kill the fox, usually the hounds tear the poor thing to death....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    I don't have a problem with hunting (though I wouldn't do it) if the animal were used for food, clothing, etc. I have real issues with the people who hunt over their tag and leave the carcass. I also really hate the places where the animals are enclosed and there isn't any challenge to either finding or catching them. I figure in those types of circumstances, they should give the animal a shotgun, too, to even the playing field. ;)

9. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    If it was fox hunting (the poncey UK style) I'd give the animal flying lessons, an A-10 and a heap of AGM-65s but then I'm an extremist :lol:

10. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Well there's one thing we agree on. If you're gonna kill it, you better eat it. Though I do support farmer's rights to nuisance kill wolves, coyotes etc. But that's about it.

While I don't support just leaving whatever you kill to lay there and not harvesting it, it is also another reason I said there is no logical reason to be oppossed to hunting. That kill (or whatevers' left when dressed out) isn't gonna go to waste. Plenty of other animals now essentially get a free meal. Whether it's what you take or what you leave, there's pretty much nothing that doesn't get eaten.