Questions about Death Sentence

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Cain, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    1. Why does it cost so much?

2. Why do people complain about the pain of a death sentence? I do not understand this, it's death. The person being subjugated to this obviously has committed pain to others in a form. I do not understand how people can say it is wrong for them toe experience pain at all.

3. Is lethal injection the only way allowed for the death penalty?

4. Why does the death penalty take so long to take affect for prisoners?

Thanks for any answers, I'd like some links if possible. I am hoping to be able to form a informed opinion on this topic to help get ready a political platform I am hoping to assemble.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,500
    methods of execution in the USIt's so expensive because there are so many mandatory appeals before sentence is carried out.
    My solution would be to issue a .357 to judges in death penalty cases so that sentence can be carried out post haste costing roughly fifty cents each. Environmentalists should be made aware that judges could be required to recycle their brass for reloading, substantially reducing costs.

3. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Because it takes so long before it is imposed. I don't think the actual imposition of the sentence costs that much, compared to the cost of maintaining the condemned prisoner throughout the lengthy appeal process.

Why does it take so long for the appeal process? Because of the extreme seriousness of the death penalty. The criminal justice system does not want to ever execute an innocent person.

We like to think we are a civilized society. The execution of a person is done at the hands of society. A murder is done at the hands of an individual. That individual is far from civilized when he commits the murder. That does not mean that our society should act in an uncivilized manner when it executes him.

Executing someone is bad enough. Civilized societies make the process as humane as possible, as well they should. Sure, murderers could be hung. They could be flogged to death, drawn and quartered, there is no end to the terrible things that could be done to a murderer in order to execute him.

History has shown that the more horrible the form of execution, the quicker the involved society opposes it. It is no accident that all executions done in the United States are not done in public. If they were, it would quickly turn our society against the death penalty.

No, but it is the method used in the majority of states. Most states allow the condemned person a choice. Other options include the gas chamber and firing squad. I don't know if hanging and/or electric chair are still offered as options in any states. I kind of think they are.

See my answer to your first question.

You are more than welcome. While I am a criminal defense lawyer, I have never handled a death penalty case. As such, my knowledge on this subject may not be quite as sharp as someone who has handled capital cases or otherwise worked with that particular process.

The answers I give here a quite brief. Hopefully, others will provide more information. I wish you luck with your upcoming forum.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,500

5. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    You might want to pick up the United States Constitution.

I'll help you out a bit.

Keep this handy.
    U.S. Constitution | LII / Legal Information Institute

I also find it interesting that very same people who don't trust the government to do just about anything..has full faith it will make the right decision each and every time it takes a life.

:eusa_eh:

6. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60

7. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Sarcasm? I do not understand, none of that answers my questions. It gives me the constitution's look on the death penalty, but it does not answer them that I can see. Or am I missing something?

It does not tell me why the death penalty costs so much.
    It does not tell me why people complain about the pain.
    It does not tell me about lethal injection.
    It does not tell me why it takes so long for it to take affect, although it does say what their allowed to do during the trial and such.

I also find that interesting, Sallow.

8. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Excellent! Good work, Ernie. That should help him out a lot.

9. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,482
    I have often wondered if I could sit on a jury for a trial involving the death penalty. I think I could arrive at a guilty verdict if the evidence pointed to that, but could I then vote for the death penalty? That I don't know. I've never had to find out.

I do think there are some crimes that are so vile, so cruel, so indefensible on any grounds, that the guilty person should forfeit all rights including the right to life. But could I pull the switch on the 'chair' or inject the lethal substance? No I could not.

So on the issue of the death penalty, philosophically I support it; emotionally I'm a train wreck, and have a very difficult time arguing for or against.

I do think Cain's questions are reasonable and should be looked at by society though. When the death sentenced are outliving the lifers, we probably aren't being honest about what we're doing.

10. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    It looks like you got your questions answered. Here are my 2 cents:

If there is even a smidgen of a morsel of a hint of a doubt about the possibility of innocence, the death penalty must not be administered. Period. The Government cannot be trusted for most things and that includes the death penalty.