Question

Clearly our right wing friends don't understand that they're already paying for other people's health care. They pay for it every time they make their personal premium payments, every time they pay for care, every time they pay for a prescription. The "free" health care given to those who can't afford or can't qualify for plans is coming from this money and tax money. This really shouldn't be so difficult to understand.

And I haven't yet received any thoughtful, reasonable, civil, mature responses to my questions about my "freedom", so I guess I'll try again, from an earlier post:

What about my "freedom" to not to have to wait in the ER with my daughter behind people who flood the place because they have/can afford/can qualify for no other coverage? What about my "freedom" to not have to pay extra to businesses for products & services that cost more because that company is stuck with paying for their employees' health care? What about my "freedom" to start a business with some kind of health insurance if I have a pre-existing condition? What about my "freedom" to not pay MUCH higher medical costs in general to COVER the services provided those who can't get coverage?

I wonder how many people who shout about their "freedoms" like trained seals have actually spent a few precious moments to actually think this through. I'm not a fan of Obamacare for the most part either, but this two-dimensional thinking and sloganeering is getting old.

I know y'all won't agree with this, but your freedoms do not trump mine. Shocker, huh?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Clearly you do not understand the the federal government has no authority to mandate a private citizen buys a product from a private company by virtue of being an American citizen.

I notice you chose not to answer my direct questions - I'm not exactly bowled over with surprise - and I'm not really a fan of Obamacare. So what would your answers be to my questions? Or are you okay with your "freedoms" being damaged by having to pay all the costs I mention in my question?

Clearly our right wing friends don't understand that they're already paying for other people's health care. They pay for it every time they make their personal premium payments, every time they pay for care, every time they pay for a prescription. The "free" health care given to those who can't afford or can't qualify for plans is coming from this money and tax money. This really shouldn't be so difficult to understand.

And I haven't yet received any thoughtful, reasonable, civil, mature responses to my questions about my "freedom", so I guess I'll try again, from an earlier post:

What about my "freedom" to not to have to wait in the ER with my daughter behind people who flood the place because they have/can afford/can qualify for no other coverage? What about my "freedom" to not have to pay extra to businesses for products & services that cost more because that company is stuck with paying for their employees' health care? What about my "freedom" to start a business with some kind of health insurance if I have a pre-existing condition? What about my "freedom" to not pay MUCH higher medical costs in general to COVER the services provided those who can't get coverage?

I wonder how many people who shout about their "freedoms" like trained seals have actually spent a few precious moments to actually think this through. I'm not a fan of Obamacare for the most part either, but this two-dimensional thinking and sloganeering is getting old.

I know y'all won't agree with this, but your freedoms do not trump mine. Shocker, huh?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Clearly you do not understand the the federal government has no authority to mandate a private citizen buys a product from a private company by virtue of being an American citizen.

I notice you chose not to answer my direct questions - I'm not exactly bowled over with surprise - and I'm not really a fan of Obamacare. So what would your answers be to my questions? Or are you okay with your "freedoms" being damaged by having to pay all the costs I mention in my question?

Your rights don't trump those without health insurance either.

How about the American people step up and insist our elected officials quit allowing health care costs to skyrocket by putting measures in place that prevent the trial lawyers and insurance companies from raping us with huge price increases.

Loser pays all would go a long way in bringing those costs down. Then we can talk about how to help those that are uninsured.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

The premise your questions are founded on is flawed due to the fact that the federal government has no constitutional authority to mandate private citizens buy products from private companies be it cars or health insurance.

This is why I didn't address your questions. They were based on something that is fundamentally flawed and therefore are irrellivant.

However since you want answers I will answer each one.

What about my "freedom" to not to have to wait in the ER with my daughter behind people who flood the place because they have/can afford/can qualify for no other coverage?

Emergency room practices and wait times are not rights protected in the constitution. The argument is on the constitutionality of the bill and its mandate.

What about my "freedom" to not have to pay extra to businesses for products & services that cost more because that company is stuck with paying for their employees' health care?

You have the freedom to not do business with those companys and not purchase their products right now. However under Obmacare AKA the Affordable Care Act you would lose that liberty as it would give the govt the power to force you to buy products from private companies for the greater good.

What about my "freedom" to start a business with some kind of health insurance if I have a pre-existing condition? What about my "freedom" to not pay MUCH higher medical costs in general to COVER the services provided those who can't get coverage?

You have the freedom to not buy health insurance right now, unless you live in MA.
The pre-existing condition issues could be addressed by a small, targeted bill that is aimed at only that issue specifically which does not contain aspects, such as an individual mandate, which violate the limits on power the constitution puts on the federal government.

Hope you are happier.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

De facto, it's a federal tax that one can be exempted from by having health insurance.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

De facto, it's a federal tax that one can be exempted from by having health insurance.

What??? It's a tax?? You'd better tell your guys in Washington that. They keep insisting it's not. Better hurry, it looks like they're in trouble.

we will end up with single payer healthcare or no healhtcare but for the wealthy.

Sick people are not productive people.

Try and run a productive economy with no one getting healthcare

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

its not a federal tax. If it was it would be on my taxes. Its a transaction between me, a private citizen, and an insurance company, a private business which the government is trying to force me into. The govt has no authority to regulate that I buy any products from private companies just by virtue of being a citizen of this country.

What is next? Are they going to say we all must buy a chevy volt because they are sold across state lines and are therefore interstate commerce? Are they going to say I can not buy red meat because its unhealthy? Are they going to make it illegal to buy beer?

Sorry but I'm not for losing my liberty to decide what I do and do not purchase from private companies.

Last edited:
Hope you are happier.

I am! And thanks for responding.

A model in which those who can afford health insurance are having to pay those who do not is incredibly wasteful and impinges directly on my financial freedom. It would be in my best financial interest if the risks were spread across a broader spectrum. And, of course, these costs are exacerbated by all of the people who can't access preventive and/or maintenance care, when they end up hospitalized, needing longer-term care and/or more expensive drugs due to their lack of access.

"You're on your own" is expensive, too, but far more so in the long run. My freedom is being damaged by those who mistakenly think that "you're on your own" is ultimately in their best interest.

Forum List

Back