Question

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
You buy two items at the store. When you reach your car, you realize that clerk only rang you up for one of the items. What do you do?

Report it and get the clerk fired.
Hurry up and pay for the other item to keep the clerk from being fired.

Of course I was being feces ous. I'm so damned honest it's pathetic.
I walked out of Sam's Club forgetting to pay for some prints I picked up.
Drove all the way the hell back across town just to pay them thier 59 cents.

Once a clerk accidently gave me a $50 bill that was in her $5 drawer. When I handed it back she just about shit for the trouble she would have gotten into.

Found a wallet with $300. Tracked down the owner and handed it back intact.

Etc. etc....

And if you had been rung up for more than you received, would you go back? Good luck. I know it happens all the time and the cash register comes up with a plus and the store keeps it. when a cashier comes up with a negative they get the blame.

For me it all comes down to karma. If I do not rectify the error somewhere down the line I will pay for it.

karma1.jpg

You buy two items at the store. When you reach your car, you realize that clerk only rang you up for one of the items. What do you do?

You are lying. You knew how much the items cost and how much you paid the cashier. You have committed a crime. Nobody "gave" you an extra item. You walked out of the store knowing full well what happened. It just took you till you made it to your car before your conscience kicked in.

Well this scenario just happened to me a few weeks ago. The clerk and I were having such a good time chatting and laughing about things, that I didn't notice the error until I got to the car. Then went back in and corrected everything. I know right from wrong, and I also know I could never place a value on something that I bascially stole, and would not enjoy using it for any purpose. I also knew turning it in would make me feel good about myself and possibly restore some faith in humankind to the employee or manager.

I was also pleased a few months ago when I put my wallet on top of my car while I loaded groceries into it, then drove away for a few blocks and couldn't recall if I put my wallet into the car. ( Normally I carry a cross-over purse and don't have to think about the wallet deal, which I have never repeated.) I jammed back to the store where I had parked and my wallet wasn't there. I went into Customer Service frantically asking them if it had been turned it and it HAD.....minus the two 20 dollar bills, but everything else intact. Whew! I was so grateful to the person who turned that in.

As it happened, the original person who found it, had taken the money and tossed the wallet somewhere, and another customer had found the wallet and turned it in. I tried without success to get a name or number but no one had left them. That very ethical person who turned it in, loaded with cards and I.D. had done something that increased their own sense of self-esteem and the gesture was it's own reward. Everybody won. I was happy and felt so fine about my fellow human beings. I hoped the person who took the cash, needed it and that it helped them in some way. If not, I felt trouble was waiting for them somewhere in the future...:lol: Karma!

"The choices we make in thought, word, and deed, inevitably return to us in kind."

I never check the receipt unless the amount is way off. Obviously by the time you leave the store both you and they agreed to change ownership for the amount paid. So my vote is for there was no dishonesty unless you did some deliberate deception.

Yes, I have pointed out errors in the receipt where something wasn't listed or for an item listed for a higher price. I do this before leaving the store.

It has happened to me several times in the last 50 years. I always have corrected the clerk at the time of purchase. Maybe it's just me. I like to know the specifics of a transaction because as likely as it is you may benefit ..the clerk can err with the change. I don't like giving money away any more than getting a free item.

i am too careful at check out...i watch the cashier's ring up the items...and i would return money when given too much or given the wrong change.....

You are lying. You knew how much the items cost and how much you paid the cashier. You have committed a crime. Nobody "gave" you an extra item. You walked out of the store knowing full well what happened. It just took you till you made it to your car before your conscience kicked in.

You're honestly saying human error doesn't happen?

What if you think it's one price and it turns out to be another? How do you know until you check?

Stealing requires intent. You don't know something and you rectify it when you find out, how is that a crime?

Why are you asking other people what they would do? Do you not have your own conscience to guide you ... ?

Lol.

You're honestly saying human error doesn't happen?

What if you think it's one price and it turns out to be another? How do you know until you check?

Stealing requires intent. You don't know something and you rectify it when you find out, how is that a crime?

I can only go by my own experience. If the item wasn't marked how did you know you were undercharged? If it was a two for one.. you still wouldn't know by looking at the receipt. Like I said ..I don't make "errors" at the cash register..human or otherwise. I suppose it could happen to someone else. It would help to know what the item/s were and how much money was involved. Under a buck?..who cares..not worth anybody's time to correct it when you are already out in the parking lot. Over 5 bucks...you should have been paying better attention at the register. You don't pay attention to the bills you give a clerk or count your change? Math isn't your strong suit? I don't know. Don't sweat it. Nobody got killed.... Nobody got fired or would have either way.

Forum List

Back