Question on Gaming Laptops

Justin Richardson

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2019
I know this may sound like a lame question, but here it goes anyways...

I want to get a gaming laptop - preferably an Alienware 51m 17.25" Gaming laptop. (Intel Core i9- 16GB Memory- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition- 1 TB HDD + 512GB Solid State Drive)

6239400_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

I watch a lot of Twitch/Youtube Game streaming. I don't play any of the online game streaming multiplayer games.
My question is:
Does anyone have one, and how good is it for you? Or would you recommend something else?

Desktop will be more powerful for the price, cheaper individual parts and more customizeable

I want to get a gaming laptop - preferably an Alienware 51m 17.25" Gaming laptop. (Intel Core i9- 16GB Memory- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition- 1 TB HDD + 512GB Solid State Drive)

I watch a lot of Twitch/Youtube Game streaming. I don't play any of the online game streaming multiplayer games.
My question is:
Does anyone have one, and how good is it for you? Or would you recommend something else?
My gaming machine is a home built desktop with a 24" monitor. I've tried gaming on my 17" laptop but hated it. Heck I'm looking to upgrade to a 27" or 32" monitor.
As for the Alienware gaming laptops, I've read they tend to get rather hot cooking the motherboard so you'll have to buy a separate laptop cooling pad. Not sure how effective those pads are, I checked a while back and even the best ones didn't last long.

Desktop will be more powerful for the price, cheaper individual parts and more customizeable

True, I got rid of my desktop when I got a laptop a couple of years ago. I am always on the road. So, it was one of the reason to get the laptop.

My gaming machine is a home built desktop with a 24" monitor. I've tried gaming on my 17" laptop but hated it. Heck I'm looking to upgrade to a 27" or 32" monitor.
As for the Alienware gaming laptops, I've read they tend to get rather hot cooking the motherboard so you'll have to buy a separate laptop cooling pad.

So I would need a cooling pad for a HP Pavilion too?
I am not familiar with gaming laptops....but I want one.

As for the Alienware gaming laptops, I've read they tend to get rather hot cooking the motherboard so you'll have to buy a separate laptop cooling pad.

Look up 'heating problems' with the laptops you're interested in, that will most likely answer your question.

I have two pretty serious gamer nephews, and both use Alienware laptops...as well as Bonzi's son has one..so i asked...
An apparent well known trick among gamers is to take 4 rubber doorstops and place under it...they swear it does better than a cooling pad that is both noisy and apparently not very effective.
These guys game a lot and say it works.

I have two pretty serious gamer nephews, and both use Alienware laptops...as well as Bonzi's son has one..so i asked...
An apparent well known trick among gamers is to take 4 rubber doorstops and place under it...they swear it does better than a cooling pad that is both noisy and apparently not very effective.

Thank you! I will try that.

My question is:
Cyberpower is better...

I had to take the side off and have a larger desk fan to kewl mine off.

My question is:
As for the Alienware gaming laptops, I've read they tend to get rather hot cooking the motherboard so you'll have to buy a separate laptop cooling pad. Not sure how effective those pads are, I checked a while back and even the best ones didn't last long.
I simply opened the side compartment and have an external fan blowing in the unit.

My question is:

I just said screw it and got a regular old 40 inch 4k ...works like a charm

Leave it to kids to come up with an effective, cheap solution. :thup:

Leave it to kids to come up with an effective, cheap solution. :thup:
mother of invention and all...

Forum List

Back