Question many ask: Why Does God Allow Evil?

This is my personal opinion

I don't believe God allows, or not allows anything.

We as human beings are given free choice ... we are free to chose what we want . Otherwise we would all be angels! Right?

It's like a process of learning right from wrong and paying the consequences.

My two cents.

Nice question, oh wait, that was a crappy question. Better yet, why does God allow unnecessary pain?
God is all powerful, isn't he? Why did he not cause the gun of Adam Lanza to jam, thus sparing the lives of innocent young children, yet still allowing the evil of Adam Lanza to exist? Instead, your god allowed all those parents, family and us to feel the pain of murdered children. He doesn't seem like much of a good god if he allows innocent children to be slaughtered.
Alan, if this is the post you wanted to bring my attention to, then may I ask what is the main point you were trying to make?

I don't want to make any assumptions, so therefore I ask.

You accused me of bashing god, so therefore you already made assumptions.

Marc,
I don't bash people's god(s) and I don't ridicule people for believing in their god(s). It's their choice.
I don't believe in a deity.
I don't understand how anyone could believe in a deity that allows the slaughter of children--- a deity that is supposedly all powerful and could prevent said murder (of innocent children) is not one I can understand. Perhaps others can, but I cannot.
If belief in god brings comfort to those that lost their family members, or to bystanders like you and BecauseIKnow, then carry on with your beliefs.
I think the OP phrased the question one way, but his/her OP didn't actually address the title of the OP.

I see...you're answering the OP sort of what the OP expected I guess....I don't believe in these kind of questions....there are answers...but these questions, I don't know what they prompt....:cool:

Nice question, oh wait, that was a crappy question. Better yet, why does God allow unnecessary pain?
God is all powerful, isn't he? Why did he not cause the gun of Adam Lanza to jam, thus sparing the lives of innocent young children, yet still allowing the evil of Adam Lanza to exist? Instead, your god allowed all those parents, family and us to feel the pain of murdered children. He doesn't seem like much of a good god if he allows innocent children to be slaughtered.
Alan, if this is the post you wanted to bring my attention to, then may I ask what is the main point you were trying to make?

Marc,
I don't bash people's god(s) and I don't ridicule people for believing in their god(s). It's their choice.
I don't understand how anyone could believe in a deity that allows the slaughter of children--- a deity that is supposedly all powerful and could prevent said murder (of innocent children) is not one I can understand. Perhaps others can, but I cannot.
If belief in god brings comfort to those that lost their family members, or to bystanders like you and BecauseIKnow, then carry on with your beliefs.
I think the OP phrased the question one way, but his/her OP didn't actually address the title of the OP.
I sincerely apologize for any bash percieved or real that my words may have assumed.

Your questions are sincere, and common.

God allows this because of sin. The instant sin entered the world through Adam and Eve's transgression the degredation of mankind and separation from God began.

Christ won the battle when he came down and died for us.

It's not God that is the problem, it's sin is the problem, Sin which came in from Satan the Great Deceiver. He is the enemy, not God.

Now that sin is in the world, mankind has a choice. Which is to do God's will, or to do Satan's will. Satan wants us to do anything but God's will, because he wants us to burn in hell like him when Christ returns, so he creates all sorts of distractions and devices to get us, mankind, from following or even want to follow God's will.

Think about it, sin was so bad, that God sent his only begotten Son, Jesus, to die for us, an innocent. An innocent man, the ONLY perfect human that walked the face of this earth had to die in order for you and I to live.

However, we have to choose it. We just don't get it just because we're born. We have to choose Christ. How do we choose Christ? By obeying Him. That's his only requirement...obedience. See the story of Cain and Abel for an understanding of that concept. Then turn to Exodus 20, where The Ten Commandments are to see the laws which He left for us to obey.

Sounds like you want a god who just makes our life easy, a god that caters to us, our every whim. Is that how we are to respond to a God who created us from nothing? Is that what we are to expect of the Creator of the universe? For Him to cater to our every whim? Or...are we to reverence Him, and know that He is God and God alone?

In light of the above...what say you?

Last edited:

Marc,
I sincerely apologize for any bash percieved or real that my words may have assumed.

God allows this because of sin. The instant sin entered the world through Adam and Eve's transgression the degredation of mankind and separation from God began.

It's not God that is the problem, it's sin is the problem, Sin which came in from Satan the Great Deceiver. He is the enemy, not God.

Now that sin is in the world, mankind has a choice. Which is to do God's will, or to do Satan's will. Satan wants us to do anything but God's will, because he wants us to burn in hell like him when Christ returns, so he creates all sorts of distractions and devices to get us, mankind, from following or even want to follow God's will.

Think about it, sin was so bad, that God sent his only begotten Son, Jesus, to die for us, an innocent. An innocent man, the ONLY perfect human that walked the face of this earth had to die in order for you and I to live.

However, we have to choose it. We just don't get it just because we're born. We have to choose Christ. How do we choose Christ? By obeying Him. That's his only requirement...obedience. See the story of Cain and Abel for an understanding of that concept. Then turn to Exodus 20, where The Ten Commandments are to see the laws which He left for us to obey.

Sounds like you want a god who just makes our life easy, a god that caters to us, our every whim. Is that how we are to respond to a God who created us from nothing? Is that what we are to expect of the Creator of the universe? For Him to cater to our every whim? Or...are we to reverence Him, and know that He is God and God alone?

Nothing in my post above has a question mark (?) at the end of the sentence. I asked no questions. Your second sentence is again an assumption about me.
The paragraph highlighted in blue begins with another assumption that is just as incorrect as your first sentence.
I am a non-theist Marc, quoting the bible or implying I want a god that makes things easy is far from my reality. How am I supposed to reply to your questions that already believe a deity is in existence? That I want a deity that you define as my supposed choice?
I can't answer your questions any more than you could answer mine if I framed my questions to you with the assumption that god did not exist.

Why Does God Allow Evil?

God does not allow evil. We do. We embrace it. He gives us free will. God is not a dictator

We kick Him out of everything we possibly can, and yet those who want nothing to do with God are the same people that ask that dumbass question

Human beings were created with free choice as has been pointed out, also with characters defects such as hate, sloth, envy, gluttony, greed, pride and wrath. Character defects have been the motivation for many evil acts/crimes of man against man and/or society.

I really find the concept of evil as something of a construct, rather than a tangible thing. Evils seems to be a term thrown around when we cannot understand the motives behind an particularly shocking act. Usually in incidents like what happened in CT it tends to be an act of someone who is mentally unstable not someone who is overtaken by "evil".

In incidents like this people commonly look to god and look for his role in the event. Is he/she/it not supposed to stop this? Where was god?

Well where the fuck were we? We look for answers in the clouds instead of working down here to prevent them.

Now Im not going to go into a rant about what we should do right now; emotions are too raw and the events to close. Rational discussions about preventing tragedies like these will quickly get drowned out by reactionary yelling.

Marc,

Nothing in my post above has a question mark (?) at the end of the sentence. I asked no questions. Your second sentence is again an assumption about me.
The paragraph highlighted in blue begins with another assumption that is just as incorrect as your first sentence.
I am a non-theist Marc, quoting the bible or implying I want a god that makes things easy is far from my reality. How am I supposed to reply to your questions that already believe a deity is in existence? That I want a deity that you define as my supposed choice?
I can't answer your questions any more than you could answer mine if I framed my questions to you with the assumption that god did not exist.
You're right.

So how do you define non-theist?

I could look it up, but I prefer to hear it from the horses mouth as the case may be.

God is not our nanny!

People are strange... you think that A Supreme power is going to get involved in our every move?

We are here to learn.... that's why we are not angels.... we have free will.....

It's called the University of Life!

And when we die.... we face our own Consciousness ... Soul.... Inner Spirit.... called it what you wish ...it is beyond and above names... and if we have made mistakes ...we have to make it all over again.... making it good this time... that's hows it is...

my two cents again

Last edited:
God is not our nanny!

People are strange... you think that A Supreme power is going to get involved in our every move?

We are here to learn.... that's why we are not angels.... we have free will.....

And when we die.... we face our own Consciousness ... Soul.... Inner Spirit.... called it what you wish ...it is beyond and above names... and if we have made mistakes ...we have to make it all over again.... making it good this time... that's hows it is...

my two cents again
BTW, Angels also have free will. They aren't robots.

Remember there was war in heaven, when Satan convinced a chunk of the angels to go on his side and hence was kicked out of heaven and has since roamed the earth. That's why he's so pissed, he's seen what he's missing and will miss for eternity until he's finally consumed in hellfire. He want's the same fate for us earthlings. He doesn't want us to go there, he wants company with him. And he's doing a heckuva job. See Rev. 12:7-12, Revelation 12:7-12 KJV - And there was war in heaven: Michael - Bible Gateway

God is not our nanny!

my two cents again

Remember there was war in heaven, when Satan convinced a chunk of the angels to go on his side and hence was kicked out of heaven and has since roamed the earth. That's why he's so pissed, he's seen what he's missing and will miss for eternity until he's finally consumed in hellfire. He want's the same fate for us earthlings. He doesn't want us to go there, he wants company with him. And he's doing a heckuva job. See Rev. 12:7-12, Revelation 12:7-12 KJV - And there was war in heaven: Michael - Bible Gateway

Not talking about man made books here.

Talking only about what my soul tells me is right!

Not parroting any books here.

and once more... my two cents,

God is not our nanny!

my two cents again

Not talking about man made books here.

Talking only about what my soul tells me is right!

Not parroting any books here.

and once more... my two cents,
So basically whatever you feel is right/truth.

Is that it?

In a corrupt world, why does God allow love, flowers, rainbows, an umprompted smile or anything good?

If it is a good thing to happen, it is God acting. If it is bad, it was not his fault (or whatever excuse the person can come up with). LOL

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. 

Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
- Epicurus (341–270 B.C.)

I've heard two theories about this:

Theory the First: It's all a test. A test of faith, to see if, after all the tragedies in the world, the Faithful can stay that way.

Theory the Second: This one's weird. This one says that God is somehow unable to interact directly with Earth anymore, with Jesus being the last and closest time he's been able to come to direct action. Many site a line in the Old Testament which I can't seem to find right now:

The day the sun stood still, supposedly, was to be God's last direct action to Earth. He even says as much if I recall correctly.

From that moment and from the birth of Jesus, for whatever reason, God can't or won't take directly anymore. Lucifer, on the other hand, is under no such restrictions.

Of course, if you ask me, I'll tell you that there is no God, so feel free to disregard all of this.

:eusa_think:

It's an impotent God that's served, if the Monkey worshiping it must consider that a valid question.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krSNPhsnJEw]R.E.M. - Losing My Religion (Studio Version, On-Screen Lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]
"Oh, life is bigger..."

Forum List

Back