Question many ask: Why Does God Allow Evil?

Marie888

† † †
Sep 28, 2010
Temporarily on earth †
Recent video from Fox news:

"Why does God allow evil?"
Why does God allow evil? | Fox News Video

Link regarding this very serious question:
http://www.gotquestions.org/God-allow-evil.html

..partial quote from link..

Perhaps a practical way to look at this question would be to consider some alternative ways people might have God run the world:

1) God could change everyone’s personality so that they cannot sin. This would also mean that we would not have a free will. We would not be able to choose right or wrong because we would be “programmed” to only do right. Had God chosen to do this, there would be no meaningful relationships between Him and His creation.

My personal encouragement: Ask this of the Lord Jesus Christ yourself. Ask Him sincerely for the answers about evil and why the world is the way it is, and why people do what they do. Be prepared for His answers which He WILL answer if you are calling out to Him with all your heart. Because yes, this will mean looking at your own accountability first and foremost..and frankly that is what most unbelievers (including myself before I went to Him) are afraid of.

Last edited:
Recent video from Fox news:

"Why does God allow evil?"
Why does God allow evil? | Fox News Video

Link regarding this very serious question:
Why does God allow evil?

..partial quote from link..

Perhaps a practical way to look at this question would be to consider some alternative ways people might have God run the world:

1) God could change everyone’s personality so that they cannot sin. This would also mean that we would not have a free will. We would not be able to choose right or wrong because we would be “programmed” to only do right. Had God chosen to do this, there would be no meaningful relationships between Him and His creation.

My personal encouragement: Ask this of the Lord Jesus Christ yourself. Ask Him sincerely for the answers about evil and why the world is the way it is, and why people do what they do. Be prepared for His answers which He WILL answer if you are calling out to Him with all your heart. Because yes, this will mean looking at your own accountability first and foremost..and frankly that is what most unbelievers (including myself before I went to Him) are afraid of.

My personal view:

We are obvious sojourners on this planet.
Our purpose here is to learn.

About....
Good and Evil
Love and Hate

One is pleasant to learn and the other hurts like hell.

Then....

We are to choose who we are and become what we are worthy of.

What a stupid question, first time I've seen media push this question around this much....:cool:

Basic but informative Islamic answer if people just want to think of this.....

1. First of all, Allah did not make this world a permanent world. This is a temporary world and everything here has a time limit. When its times comes it will die, come to an end and finish. Neither the good things of this world are forever, nor the bad things eternal. We are here for a short time and we are being tested. Those who will pass this test will find an eternal world that is perfect and permanent. Those who will fail this test shall see the evil consequences of their sins and corruption.

2. Allah has placed a physical law and a moral law in this universe. Allah allows suffering to occur when one or more of these laws are broken. The physical law is based on cause and effect. Sickness comes if one does not take care of one’s health or is exposed to infections. A car accident occurs when one is not alert, or drives in a careless manner, or if the cars are not checked, roads and freeways are not made and kept in right shape, or the traffic laws are not right or not properly enforced. Study of causes and effects is very important to facilitate safeguards. Even here we should keep in mind that Allah often saves us and He does not let us suffer from every negligence. How many times it happens that we are not careful and still we reach safely to our destinations. The way people drive in some cities, it is a miracle that more accidents do not happen and more people do not suffer. Allah says:

“(Allah) Most Gracious! It is He Who has taught the Qur’an. He has created man: He has taught him speech (and Intelligence). The sun and the moon follow courses (exactly) computed; and the herbs and the trees both (alike) bow in adoration. And the Firmament has He raised high, and He has set up the Balance (of Justice), in order that you may not transgress (due) balance. So establish weight with justice and fall not short in the balance. It is He Who has spread out the earth for (His) creatures." (Ar-Rahman:1-10)

The way we exceed the measures set by Allah and violate His laws of cause and effect is incredible. It is really the mercy of Allah that we are saved. Strictly speaking, the question should not be why does Allah allow suffering, but how much Allah protects us and saves us all the time in spite of our violations and negligence. The Qur’an says:

“If Allah were to punish people according to what they deserve, He would not leave on the back of the (earth) a single living creature: but He gives them respite for a stated Term: when their Term expires, verily Allah has in His sight all His servants." (Fatir:45)

But sometimes Allah does punish people because of their violations of His laws whether they are physical or moral. The Qur’an tells us that many nations and communities were destroyed because of their sinful lifestyles:

“If they treat thy (mission) as false, so did the Peoples before them (with their Prophets), the People of Noah, and Ad and Thamud. Those of Abraham and Lut; and the Companions of the Madyan people; and Moses was rejected (in the same way). But I granted respite to the Unbelievers, and (only) after that did I punish them: but how (terrible) was My rejection (of them)! How many populations have We destroyed, which were given to wrong-doing! They tumbled down on their roofs. And how many wells are lying idle and neglected, and castles lofty and well-built?" (Al-Hajj: 42-45)

3. Suffering can also be a test and trial for some people. Allah allows some people to suffer in order to test their patience and steadfastness. Even Allah’s Prophets and Messengers were made to suffer. Prophet Ayyub is mentioned in the Qur’an as a Prophet who was very patient. Good people sometimes suffer but their sufferings heal others and bring goodness to their communities. People learn lessons from their good examples. Martyrs die for their faith, soldiers give their lives for their nations and this brings liberation and freedom for their people.

4. Allah sometimes allows some people to suffer to test others, how they react to them. When you see a person who is sick, poor and needy, then you are tested by Allah. Allah is there with that suffering person to test your charity and your faith. In a very moving Hadith Qudsi (Divine Hadith) the Prophet, peace be upon him, said:

“Allah will say on the Day of Judgment, ‘O son of Adam, I was sick and you did not visit Me.’ He will say, ‘O my Lord, how could I visit You, when you are the Lord of the Worlds.’ Allah will say, ‘Did you not know that My servant so-and-so was sick and you did not visit him? Did you not know that if you had visited him, you would have found Me there?’ Allah will say, ‘O son of Adam, I asked you for food and you fed Me not.’ He shall say, ‘O my Lord, how could I feed you and you are the Lord of the Worlds?’ And Allah will say, ‘Did you not know that My servant so-and-so was in need of food and you did not feed him? Did you not know that if you had fed him, you would have found that to have been for Me?’ ‘O son of Adam, I asked you for water and you did not give Me to drink.’ The man shall say, ‘O my Lord, how could I give You water, when You are the Lord of the Worlds?’ Allah will say, ‘My servant so-and-so asked you for water and you did not give him to drink water. Did you not know that if you had given him to drink, you would have found that to have been for Me.’ (Muslim, Hadith no. 4661)

Nice question, oh wait, that was a crappy question. Better yet, why does God allow unnecessary pain?
God is all powerful, isn't he? Why did he not cause the gun of Adam Lanza to jam, thus sparing the lives of innocent young children, yet still allowing the evil of Adam Lanza to exist? Instead, your god allowed all those parents, family and us to feel the pain of murdered children. He doesn't seem like much of a good god if he allows innocent children to be slaughtered.

^^^^^

LOL...agnostics/Athiests.....try to make themselves feel better about their Godless souls by making stupid observations.

Sorry Alan, but that statement went pretty far.

Last edited:
*{And when thy Lord said unto the angels: Lo! I am about to place a viceroy in the earth, they said: wilt Thou place therein one who will do harm therein and will shed blood, while we, we hymn Thy praise and sanctify Thee? He said: Surely I know that which ye know not. And He taught Adam all the names, then showed them to the angels, saying: Inform me of the names of these, if ye are truthful. They said: Be glorified! We have no knowledge saving that which Thou hast taught us. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Knower, the Wise.}* (Al-Baqarah 2:30–32)

Even the angels were shocked that Allah was going to create a being with free will who would do harm and shed blood. Allah’s answer to them was simply that He knows what they do not know.

^^^^^

LOL...agnostics/Athiests.....try to make themselves feel better about their Godless souls by making stupid observations.

Actually, i don't feel better about the factual observation.
My heart and mind hurt for the murdered children and their family and their friends and us.

^^^^^

My heart and mind hurt for the murdered children and their family and their friends and us.

All our hearts go out to the families and friends of victims. But your statement made no sense, it's not hard to understand free will, this world is different, I've offered answers above specifically related to GOD. And why that happens. :cool:

Factual? Huh....

^^^^^

All our hearts go out to the families and friends of victims. But your statement made no sense, it's not hard to understand free will, this world is different, I've offered answers above specifically related to GOD. And why that happens. :cool:

Factual? Huh....
More factual than what you have posted.

Factual? Huh....

You're telling us you don't believe in a God yet you claim your post that God allows evil is factual....:confused:

^^^^^

No, it didn't go far at all.

It's 1st grade school ignorance.

Very common in the atheists circle.

Most don't really want to know, nor do they care to know about God, they are simply looking for excuses to bash Him...so let them.

Factual? Huh....

You're telling us you don't believe in a God yet you claim your post that God allows evil is factual....:confused:

Nope, that's not what I said.
So yes, you are :confused:

^^^^^

Most don't really want to know, nor do they care to know about God, they are simply looking for excuses to bash Him...so let them.

I destroyed the points of the OP.
I'm pretty sure god didn't post the OP.
Why attack me, not my points?

^^^^^

I bashed the OP.
That's fine, and by-the-way...I'm not using the word "ignorant" in an insulting way.

I'm using it in the true sense of the word, truly ignorant, both innocently and willfuly, but ignorant nonetheless.

I bashed the OP.
That's fine, and by-the-way...I'm not using the word "ignorant" in an insulting way.

I'm using it in the true sense of the word, truly ignorant, both innocently and willfuly, but ignorant nonetheless.

Please read my edited post.

Nice question, oh wait, that was a crappy question. Better yet, why does God allow unnecessary pain?
God is all powerful, isn't he? Why did he not cause the gun of Adam Lanza to jam, thus sparing the lives of innocent young children, yet still allowing the evil of Adam Lanza to exist? Instead, your god allowed all those parents, family and us to feel the pain of murdered children. He doesn't seem like much of a good god if he allows innocent children to be slaughtered.
Alan, if this is the post you wanted to bring my attention to, then may I ask what is the main point you were trying to make?

I don't want to make any assumptions, so therefore I ask.

Alan, if this is the post you wanted to bring my attention to, then may I ask what is the main point you were trying to make?

I don't want to make any assumptions, so therefore I ask.

You accused me of bashing god, so therefore you already made assumptions.

Marc,
I don't bash people's god(s) and I don't ridicule people for believing in their god(s). It's their choice.
I don't believe in a deity.
I don't understand how anyone could believe in a deity that allows the slaughter of children--- a deity that is supposedly all powerful and could prevent said murder (of innocent children) is not one I can understand. Perhaps others can, but I cannot.
If belief in god brings comfort to those that lost their family members, or to bystanders like you and BecauseIKnow, then carry on with your beliefs.
I think the OP phrased the question one way, but his/her OP didn't actually address the title of the OP.

Why does God allow Evil?

Good question, nut here's anorher: what's God supposed to do about it? Everybody lives forever? I don't think so, it would get pretty crowded around here, and what would that mean to the quality and meaning of life if nobody died? One could make the argument that death should make us appreciate the time we have with our loved ones.

Same question for suffering - so nobody suffers either? Really? No accidents, no sicknesses, no bad luck? How do we value the best things in life then? Why work, why do anything if there's nothing to lose? You sure you want a life like that?

I have an opinion about all of this; if there is a God, maybe he's leaving us to solve our own problems. We seem to have the wit and the ability, maybe we're supposed to so it ourselves.

Forum List

Back