Question: Is there anything better than a homemade pizza and a salad?

I don't actually know all the details about it. I have a buddy who does it but I never really asked him about all the logistics. I know it's a long process though. A lot longer than my 5 minute trip to the liquor store :lol:

I don't actually know all the details about it. I have a buddy who does it but I never really asked him about all the logistics. I know it's a long process though. A lot longer than my 5 minute trip to the liquor store :lol:

I would so love to brew my own beer. First off, I could make it to my tastes. Secondly, I'm a cheap-ass, and it's way cheaper to brew your own.

I have a buddy that does it, and he makes around 4 gallons at a time. Costs him about $50 a pop. He's got a rotation system set up, so that he always has beer. While he's drinking what he made, he's got another batch going.

I would so love to brew my own beer. First off, I could make it to my tastes. Secondly, I'm a cheap-ass, and it's way cheaper to brew your own.

I have a buddy that does it, and he makes around 4 gallons at a time. Costs him about $50 a pop. He's got a rotation system set up, so that he always has beer. While he's drinking what he made, he's got another batch going.

que the jingle....
cannes-bud-radio.jpg

My buddy is working on a coffee brew right now. I'm not sure I like the sound of that, but I'd try it.

que the jingle....
cannes-bud-radio.jpg

Damn skippy. Just ran the math. For $50, he gets around 45 beers. High quality stuff too. He could go cheap American Beer version he said, and it would cost him around $25 or $30 for 45 beers.

My buddy is working on a coffee brew right now. I'm not sure I like the sound of that, but I'd try it.

I have had those. As a matter of fact, my buddy gave me one. It's actually pretty good, but heavy-ish. If you like Guinness, you should like it. It has a slight coffee aftertaste. Not overpowering.

Yes, homemade bread.

Speaking of which, back in 15...

I've been making all my own bread for the past few months. While all have turned out great, this one is a winner:

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread Recipe | Taste of Home

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread
In Grand Valley, Ontario, Wendy Masters often slices into a tender loaf of this hearty bread featuring two popular grains. "It has a pretty golden crust and great flavor," she writes.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
Ingredients

* 1-1/4 cups water (70° to 80°)
* 2 tablespoons honey
* 2 tablespoons butter, softened
* 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
* 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
* 1-3/4 cups bread flour
* 1 cup whole wheat flour
* 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
* 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Directions

* In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
* manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and
* loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions
* (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of
* water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds).

© Taste of Home 2010 Tasteofhome Logo

As is, this is very light and great toasting bread. So light though, it tends to fall apart in sandwiches, though taste is wonderful.

This morning I inverted the measurements for white and wheat flours, much better texture for sandwiches, but I can tell it will have to be toast tomorrow.

Homemade breads have a very short shelf-life. ;) However, I've found that grinding in the blender after leaving open for a day, no more purchasing of breadcrumbs.

White, sweet, and rye breads make great croutons for salads and soups, but you need to catch the loaves before totally dried out. Cut into cubes, let the cubes dry.

Then: season how and if you want, I don't season because if I'm using in some soups, the seasonings I might want on salad would clash, so I figure leave them plain.

Heat a skillet, add butter or olive oil, depending on your mood towards health. LOL! When hot, add the croutons and brown to toasty. Cool and put in ziplock bag. If you know it's going to be days, I'd freeze. Since I've lots of homemade soups in freezer, I'll use them.

Yes, homemade bread.

I've been making all my own bread for the past few months. While all have turned out great, this one is a winner:

In Grand Valley, Ontario, Wendy Masters often slices into a tender loaf of this hearty bread featuring two popular grains. "It has a pretty golden crust and great flavor," she writes.
Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons honey
* 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
* 1-3/4 cups bread flour

Directions

As is, this is very light and great toasting bread. So light though, it tends to fall apart in sandwiches, though taste is wonderful.

This morning I inverted the measurements for white and wheat flours, much better texture for sandwiches, but I can tell it will have to be toast tomorrow.

Homemade breads have a very short shelf-life. ;) However, I've found that grinding in the blender after leaving open for a day, no more purchasing of breadcrumbs.

White, sweet, and rye breads make great croutons for salads and soups, but you need to catch the loaves before totally dried out. Cut into cubes, let the cubes dry.

Then: season how and if you want, I don't season because if I'm using in some soups, the seasonings I might want on salad would clash, so I figure leave them plain.

Heat a skillet, add butter or olive oil, depending on your mood towards health. LOL! When hot, add the croutons and brown to toasty. Cool and put in ziplock bag. If you know it's going to be days, I'd freeze. Since I've lots of homemade soups in freezer, I'll use them.

I'm a racist.

My favorite is just plain old white bread. Fresh out, steaming, slathered in butter.

I have had those. As a matter of fact, my buddy gave me one. It's actually pretty good, but heavy-ish. If you like Guinness, you should like it. It has a slight coffee aftertaste. Not overpowering.

I actually hate Guiness, but only in the sense that I would never actually buy it.

If someone was giving me a bunch of beer they brewed and it happened to taste like Guiness, I'm not going to turn it down :lol:

Home made irish creme? :D

I have never had a good home made pizza, they always get the sauce wrong. I have made a pizza though, when I worked at Pizza Hut. It was pretty good. LOL

I actually hate Guiness, but only in the sense that I would never actually buy it.

If someone was giving me a bunch of beer they brewed and it happened to taste like Guiness, I'm not going to turn it down :lol:

Get your buddy to give you one. I liked it, but not as a "I'm going to go through some of these". It's more of a one-and-done kind of beer to me.

I worked at Starbucks for 4 months 11 years ago after moving to Georgia. We made some incredible made-up type of shit.

Flaming goat was the best. We just stole the name from the alcoholic drink.

Take caramel drizzle, pour some in the bottom of a demitasse cup. Spray some fresh whipped cream on top of it. Pour 4 shots of espresso through the whipped cream. Yummy, and have you bouncing all over the place.

I worked at Starbucks for 4 months 11 years ago after moving to Georgia. We made some incredible made-up type of shit.

Take caramel drizzle, pour some in the bottom of a demitasse cup. Spray some fresh whipped cream on top of it. Pour 4 shots of espresso through the whipped cream. Yummy, and have you bouncing all over the place.

That sounds good.
We have a Flaming Goat pizza place here. :lol:

Yes, homemade bread.

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons honey
* 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
* 1-3/4 cups bread flour

Directions

I'm a racist.

My favorite is just plain old white bread. Fresh out, steaming, slathered in butter.

Oh I love white bread, but when hot I do the butter and some honey or preserves. I tend more towards the whole grains though for health reasons. Same with pasta, while I really love the basic pasta recipes, I do the whole grains and concentrate my culinary tactics on the sauces. Funny too same with rice. Nothing beats white rice with soy sauce. But eh, old age makes me do the whole wild rice blends with low sodium soy sauce at minimum and other spices to carry me through. I'm adjusting. :lol:

That sounds good.
We have a Flaming Goat pizza place here. :lol:

It was surprisingly good. The hot, just shot espresso melted and consumed the caramel, and left a foam of whipped cream around the edge of the cup. So when you first swigged it back, you got the cream, then the caramel sweetened espresso, then the last part of the whipped cream.

And with 4 shots, with the added sugar...talk about a quick pick me up.

Forum List

Back