Question - I seem to be running too warm

Windparadox

Gold Member
May 3, 2017
Northern WI.
`
My daughter built me this homemade computer for Christmas. It has;

• Cooler Master HAF 912 - Mid Tower Computer Case
  • GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XM-D3H FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
  • ASUS Radeon R7 360 R7360-OC-2GD5 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
  • AMD Athlon X4 860K Kaveri Quad-Core 3.7 GHz Socket FM2+ 95W AD860KXBJABOX Desktop Processor
  • HyperX FURY 2 ea - 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory
  • EVGA 100-W1-500-KR 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Continuous Power Supply
  • WIN 7 O/S.

Anyways, I recently downloaded and ran this program called "Speccy" and it shows my CPU is running sometimes up to 90 degrees Celsius which displays a warning. Should I be concerned about this? What might be causing this?

Thanks.

Check the cooler fins, see if they're clogged with dust,make sure the fan is running. I would also try a different temp-monitoring program.

Open Hardware Monitor is good.

Open Hardware Monitor - Core temp, fan speed and voltages in a free software gadget

If the fan is working and fins are clean, the cooler probably has a bad mount.

Meaning you have to take it off, clean the chip and cooler, apply new thermal paste and re-mount cooler, making sure it has proper contact with chip.

:udaman: No but my daughter who built it, will be by this weekend (from college) and look at it. Thanks.

You could shut it down and pull the side off and check the cooler mount real quick.

Be sure and unplug it if you do.

I use an electric blower to blow computer cases out.

The umm AMD cooler has a lever that turns 180 degrees. All you have to do is make sure it's making proper contact with the chip. Make sure the 2 notches are on the plastic things good, and work the lever.

Definitely needs more airflow. A desktop needs at least 2 fans in addition to the CPU fan.

Forum List

Back