Question-How is your State, City and Local gov's reducing to cope with recession??

Maple

Mar 15, 2009
I thought this would be an interesting topic. My state operates under a balanced budget amendment, which is good, as we don't borrow and raise taxes to continue to finance government. They are forced by law to cut and tighten their belts, something the federal government needs to learn.

In my city, we stopped running the street lights at night which were costing 200 to 250 million a year to run. We have also stopped watering the city parks. What has your state and communities done to save money during this recession???

we shot every fifth person over the age of 9.

Do you have a balanced budget amendment in your state or are you from Bankrupt California, which doesn't?

massachusetts is required to have a balanced budget.

So what has your state done to reduce expenditures and comply with the balanced budget amendment?? What cuts have you seen?? Or have they raised taxes to compensate for budget shortfalls?

Do you have a balanced budget amendment in your state or are you from Bankrupt California, which doesn't?

So what has your state done to reduce expenditures and comply with the balanced budget amendment?? What cuts have you seen?? Or have they raised taxes to compensate for budget shortfalls?

none. they'll start threatening to shut down police and fire stations and there will be the usual appeal for "the children" and how we're "eating the seed corn"

then they'll jack up taxes. a one party state is a real joy.

none. they'll start threatening to shut down police and fire stations and there will be the usual appeal for "the children" and how we're "eating the seed corn"

then they'll jack up taxes. a one party state is a real joy.

They tried that in Colorado and it didn't fly, they threatened that police and firemen would be laid off so they put it to a vote and we voted down a tax increase 2-1. Not one single police officer or fireman has been laid off. Somewhere they found the money as they always do. :lol::lol:

We also have a tax-payer's bill of rights which prevents the state and local governments from raising taxes without a vote.

And- I agree with your statement about 1 party rule, when there is a balance we get much better legislation than when there is none. Both sides of an issue are represented and then they have to work together in the best interest of the people who put them there in the first place.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back