Question for ya:

as an educator, are you not required to do so?

Doesn't matter if I'm the gas station attendant or the chimney sweeper, I'm going to do what's right.

As for your question, I am required to report child abuse, I'm assuming underage drinking too......

I agree it's the right thing to do. As for mandated, I don't think so, especially when not school related. Even if school related I believe the first call of many schools would be to the parents and suspend the kid. Second step would be to the police. Some schools might go directly to police.The mandated rules pertain to 'protect' the child from adults who do not care for them or abuse them. If the parents are aware of the drinking and are allowing it, a call to the police will get them the attention they need. But first, I'd let the parents know. I agree that there's really not a good reason for the parents to be unaware of facebook accounts for minor children, but we all know it happens.
the drinking is not the only problem here
there is also the potential that the parents are not monitoring the childrens activities online
that means there is the potential they could become victims of online predators

I'm the only one that's gonna stick up for the little delinquents, huh. Oh well.

Yeah 8th grade, eg 13 or 14 is a cause for alarm I suppose... And they're dumber than shit for letting it wind up on facebook. But I doubt I'd rat'em out. Scare the daylights out of them? Maybe.

Dude, I was 12 in the eighth grade. Not even a teenager yet.

Hell ya if I saw a twelve year old swigging beer on Facebook I'd rat him out.

Unless you were in an accelerated program, most kids are 13 when they start 8th and turn 14 during.

I'm the only one that's gonna stick up for the little delinquents, huh. Oh well.

Yeah 8th grade, eg 13 or 14 is a cause for alarm I suppose... And they're dumber than shit for letting it wind up on facebook. But I doubt I'd rat'em out. Scare the daylights out of them? Maybe.

Dude, I was 12 in the eighth grade. Not even a teenager yet.

Hell ya if I saw a twelve year old swigging beer on Facebook I'd rat him out.

Unless you were in an accelerated program, most kids are 13 when they start 8th and turn 14 during.
or unless he skipped a grade.

Aww c'mon guys, are those kids any younger than when any of you drank?

Myself? No.
Me neither, but I became an alcoholic and really fucked up my life from age 13 through 38. If someone had let my parents know what I was up to, who knows?
Been sober almost 23 years.

Do what you must, but stop going to the facebook and get a life.

When my kids were in high school, 'my space' was the facebook of their time. Because of filter controls I had, they had to ask to sign up. 'No problem, as long as I have the password and if changed, access will be blocked.' Even with that there were things they wrote or their friends wrote that I made them take down and we spoke about. It's like they knew I could 'see', but failed to keep that in mind when conversing with friends.

It was also the best way to know when they had tests and whom they liked. LOL! Facebook is even more popular and far-reaching. While there were predators on My Space, the size of Facebook makes it seem even more imperative to me that parents educate themselves. The truth of the matter is that while not so many years ago, there would be only one computer in the house, maybe one in parents room. Now everyone has their own laptops. I don't think it's such a great idea to allow that with young kids or middle grade students for sure.

Now that they are all on their own, the best way I have to keep up with their doings, cousins, nieces/nephew is by Facebook. I know when they are planning trips, got promotions, etc., even before they remember to let me know. :lol:

Just for the nosey moseys, my 15 yo daughter is the one that pointed this out to me. The one gal (10th grader) goes to her school, and her sister (8th grader) is in middle school and on her Facebook.

Last night she came up to me and said:

"Mom, look at these stupid girls pics they posted on Facebook"

She doesn't suffer fools gladly, just like her mom.

They have been reported to their parents and Facebook for those who are following along.............

You see someone you know (not that well) kids (2 daughters, eighth grade and 10th grade) pics on Facebook they have posted, with beers in their hands in many photos.

What would you do?

Tell my kids to keep thier distance from those kids and that family. Then mind my own business.

Then wonder; "What the hell am I doing on facebook?" :eusa_drool::cuckoo:

Just for the nosey moseys, my 15 yo daughter is the one that pointed this out to me. The one gal (10th grader) goes to her school, and her sister (8th grader) is in middle school and on her Facebook.

Last night she came up to me and said:

"Mom, look at these stupid girls pics they posted on Facebook"

She doesn't suffer fools gladly, just like her mom.

They have been reported to their parents and Facebook for those who are following along.............

What's with children these days?

My own twin sons were the only boys invited to a halloween party. The girls there were drinking and wearing naughty versions of costumes. They didn't drink anything, didn't kiss any girls and actually called to have us pick them up early.

Kids these days. I shoulda beat them more when they were younger. :lol:

Aww c'mon guys, are those kids any younger than when any of you drank?

Myself? No.

I drank with the family. I was occasionally allowed 1/2 a glass of beer or wine. but when I was old enough to be running around with my freinds my Dad made it clear that doom would fall upon me should I drink elsewhere.

When I drank in high school I was never stupid enough to take pictures and put them on the internet for my parents to see, if I knew the kids parents I would inform them about the pics and make copies just in case the kids take them down.

When I drank in high school I was never stupid enough to take pictures and put them on the internet for my parents to see, if I knew the kids parents I would inform them about the pics and make copies just in case the kids take them down.

I probably was stupid enough seeing I was drunk most of the time. What saved me was I graduated high school in '67, well before facebook.

You see someone you know (not that well) kids (2 daughters, eighth grade and 10th grade) pics on Facebook they have posted, with beers in their hands in many photos.

What would you do?
Either a quick call to the parents or mind your own fucking business.
What the hell are you doing on Facebook anyway ???? Idiot.

What would you do?

Since you don't know the parents well, I'd stay out of it.
"Kill the messenger" sorta thang.
If their parents aren't paying attention to what they are doing, that's their problem.
JMHO

If the parents aren't already informed about what their young daughter especially is posting on her facebook, then the chances of them even doing much about any of this are slim to none.

79913-StopSnitchingTop.jpg

Forum List

Back