Question for those who believe in evolution and people are born gay.

So does that mean that homosexuality would qualify as a diagnosis for FMLA, which protects employees from being terminated for debilitating medical conditions?

Serious question, could you provide some examples of what is exactly "debilitating" about being a homosexual?

>>>>

Probably nothing.

My statement was more of a response to the statement by xsited1:

"And, if true, discriminating against them would be as silly as discriminating against someone because they have a headache."

People with severe headaches cannot be descriminated against.

My bad, should have taken it in context.

>>>>

If you believe in Darwin's evolution theory, and you believe that homosexual people are born that way then...

...what is the evolutionary benefit of homosexuality? Just curious.

look at some of the replies here:

http://en.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/fmj58/honest_question_if_being_gay_is_something_youre/

two of the most linked to ideas about it can be found here:

Kin selection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Biology and sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So does that mean that homosexuality would qualify as a diagnosis for FMLA, which protects employees from being terminated for debilitating medical conditions?

Serious question, could you provide some examples of what is exactly "debilitating" about being a homosexual?

>>>>

Probably nothing.

"And, if true, discriminating against them would be as silly as discriminating against someone because they have a headache."

Yes, they can. My wife suffers from severe migraines. You try to keep a job with severe migraines and see what happens.

Evolution moves so slowly we are unable to perceive it. Medical science tells us, for example, that the appendix is a remnant of a long unneeded organ. Is it? Or is it an evolving one that will be part of a next evolutionary step? They really don't know. They believe they know, however.

I have always believed and said homosexuals might represent our future, the next step in our evolution, to a more efficient propagator. Nature is full of examples of more efficient reproduction than humans, who's to say we're ahead of the evolutionary curve in that respect, and not way behind instead? Vanity tells us so and vanity is usually wrong.

If we believe in evolution, then we must also believe homo sapiens aren't immune to it, and are continually evolving as well. It's just happening on the cosmic clock scale, not our Timex's and calendars.

A philosophical thought that pops into my head sometimes in threads about evolution is that since we have intelligence and with it created medical science are we (have we) changed evolution for homo sapians. Because of medical science we've cured or made manageable many deceases and defects, artificially extending the lives of, and therefore the probability of continuation of certain negative traits.

This is by no means any endorsement of any type of eugenics, it's simply pointing out that I wonder sometimes if this artificial manipulation is going to change the equation of evolution as it applies to humans. Luckily both my kids are strong and healthy, but say my son or daughter had a genetic kidney disease, I know I would give everything I own including my own kidney(s) to save their life.

>>>>

JB, thanks for being a flaming douchebag without any provocation what-so-ever on my part. I guess that is just the kind of person you are. I am sure you have a lot of friends.

If you believe in Darwin's evolution theory, and you believe that homosexual people are born that way then...

Who says there need be any 'benefit' to blonde hair or green eyes for them to exist?

the benefit is physical attraction to the opposite sex, by evolutionary means of procreation, like those giant peacock tail things; just to educate you.

I don't demand squat, I simply asked a question. GOD FORBID people ask questions in this world! Stop trying to straw man people who ask questions which may have answers that you are afraid of, it is seriously pathetic. Funny link, maybe you should google "margaret sanger" and "eugenics" to go along with your red herring, asshole.

I see you saw fit top cry and then ignore the post that answered your original question by explaining how homosexuality could have emerged as the result of evolution.

You are dismissed.

I don't demand squat, I simply asked a question. GOD FORBID people ask questions in this world! Stop trying to straw man people who ask questions which may have answers that you are afraid of, it is seriously pathetic. Funny link, maybe you should google "margaret sanger" and "eugenics" to go along with your red herring, asshole.

It was a dumb question. It's not "liberty" that demands "evolutionary value", it is nature.

That said, man strives for liberty in spite of nature's indifference.

>>>>

Probably nothing.

Yes, they can. My wife suffers from severe migraines. You try to keep a job with severe migraines and see what happens.

Has she filled out her FMLA paperwork?

And she is not being descriminated against if she cannot perform her required work. But if she was not hired because she had migraines, that would be descrimnation.

Last edited:

>>>>

Probably nothing.

My bad, should have taken it in context.

>>>>

No qualms.

I remember you from over at Hannidad. You were always very insightful unlike most of those partisan hacks. Welcome.

Probably nothing.

Has she filled out her FMLA paperwork?

And she is not being descriminated against if she cannot perform her required work. But if she was not hired because she had migraines, that would be descrimnation.

Good luck with that. Companies will find a way to let you go if you miss enough work. And my wife used to work for smaller companies that are not covered by the FMLA.

Although I do not believe in either, I have a answer.

More women for those of the heterosexual persuasion? ;)

Just kidding, sort of.

can_opener_1913.jpg

I still got one of those sommabitches on my key chain

The military calls 'em a P-38... [ame=http://www.amazon.com/GI-P-38-Can-Opener/dp/B000EGHWXS]Amazon.com: GI - P- 38 - Can Opener: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Although I do not believe in either, I have a answer.

More women for those of the heterosexual persuasion? ;)

Just kidding, sort of.

And that's exactly what you'll find in Key West, Florida. If you're a straight male, you're in demand by the female population.

Who says there need be any 'benefit' to blonde hair or green eyes for them to exist?

the benefit is physical attraction to the opposite sex, by evolutionary means of procreation, like those giant peacock tail things; just to educate you.

did you see my reply?

So I read most of this thread. I made an account on this website, despite my better judgement, in an attempt to explain this. Evolution is random. Traits are constantly mutating between generations. Some aren't noticed, others change traits or create new ones. These traits may be selected for or against. If a trait has no benefit, but also no detriment it will remain unchanged.
Another possible basis for homosexuality is something called epigenetics. Epigenetics is the change of a person's genome (the sequence of all of their DNA) caused by the environment. Once again it is random and unless selected against the trait will persist.

Forum List

Back