question for those that have been in the navy

Isn't that what being decommissioned means? going into the mothball fleet?
I'm a land lover I really don't know.

Yes - but it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. The Iowa, for example, I forgot how many times that thing was commissioned/decommissioned. Three maybe? Don't remember -

There have been many ships decom'd that are recom'd.

There are also ships that are decom'd, sold to foreign countries, or sunk as targets.

How many have been nuclear powered ships? I am familiar with some ships that have been commissioned and decommissioned. Big MO comes to mind.

No nukes sold or sunk as targets that I can think of.

Yes - but it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. The Iowa, for example, I forgot how many times that thing was commissioned/decommissioned. Three maybe? Don't remember -

There have been many ships decom'd that are recom'd.

There are also ships that are decom'd, sold to foreign countries, or sunk as targets.

How many have been nuclear powered ships? I am familiar with some ships that have been commissioned and decommissioned. Big MO comes to mind.

No nukes sold or sunk as targets that I can think of.

Nuke ships scrapped at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. This is where Enterprise will be scrapped.

One of my ships, after the decommissioning, was sold to the Turks. They tore out the scullery and used the space for hanging fresh meat.

Wasn't in the Navy but ...

Release Date: 3/10/2004 8:58:00 AM

By Stacey Byington, Naval Station Pascagoula Public Affairs

PASCAGOULA, Miss. (NNS) -- USS Ticonderoga (CG 47) will depart its homeport at Naval Station Pascagoula for its final deployment March 10. The ship is scheduled to be decommissioned Sept. 30
USS Ticonderoga to Make Final Deployment Before Decommissioning

Thanks. I was just wondering why the government would send a nuclear carrier to the gulf when it was scheduled to be decommissioned within a year. I kind of felt that the government would send one of the convectional warfare class ships but not a nuclear carrier. But I wasn't in the navy so I didn't know.

All aircraft carriers are nuclear powered.

Thanks. I was just wondering why the government would send a nuclear carrier to the gulf when it was scheduled to be decommissioned within a year. I kind of felt that the government would send one of the convectional warfare class ships but not a nuclear carrier. But I wasn't in the navy so I didn't know.

true you are correct, but why would they send one that was going to be decommissioned within a year? Maybe there's nothing to it, But I have an uncomfortable feeling about this one.

With only 11 carriers, she has to deploy if on the deployment schedule. The majority of decom tasks are performed after the decommissioning.

What we see is a decommissioning ceremony and hauling down of the commissioning pennent and national ensign. After that is when the removal of equipment that can be cannibolized or needs to be destroyed due to security reasons. JP-5 and other fuels and fluids need to be removed along with miriade other tasks. That is all done by someone other than ship's company who will transfer throughout the Navy, only left with a tearful goodbye to an old friend.

true you are correct, but why would they send one that was going to be decommissioned within a year? Maybe there's nothing to it, But I have an uncomfortable feeling about this one.

The Navy has no plans to sink a carrier with all hands in order to justify a war. It was sent because it was rotated into the Persian Gulf as part of normal Navy deployment. If it is the ships last deployment the Navy likes to do a little goodwill stops, that could prove especially advantageous in a volatile area.

The Navy has no plans to sink a carrier with all hands in order to justify a war. It was sent because it was rotated into the Persian Gulf as part of normal Navy deployment. If it is the ships last deployment the Navy likes to do a little goodwill stops, that could prove especially advantageous in a volatile area.

Great to hear.

How would a Navy Sailor know the details of a Ship being deployed or decommissioned? I think the question might be forwarded to the FBI or Homeland Security.

Last edited:
How would a Navy Sailor know the details of a Ship being deployed or decommissioned? I think the question might be forwarded to the FBI or Homeland Security.

Shit. The women in some of the ports know the port of call schedule better than some Admirals in the Pentagon.

It's been in the paper for both. but if you feel you need to report please by all means do so.

CVN65 - Enterprise Class Aircraft Carrier

US Navy to Deploy Third Carrier Group to Persian Gulf >> Naval Today

If it's in all those documents you seem to subscribe to and you still want up-to-date Navy info I think I just might report your ass.

It's been in the paper for both. but if you feel you need to report please by all means do so.

If it's in all those documents you seem to subscribe to and you still want up-to-date Navy info I think I just might report your ass.

By all fucking means do it don't be a fucking pussy.

By all fucking means do it don't be a fucking pussy.

Consider it done.

Would a ship be sent on deployment when it's scheduled to be decommissioned within a year?

I decommissioned USS Iowa - we did! Had a North Atlantic Cruise in 89, decom'd 90.
Isn't it Great, warrior has become the invisable man(debatable).

I know he's on that bike(see avie)SOMEWHERE...or maybe he's gone for a Top Up in the Shit House.theliq:evil:.....see Arsehole keep on bad mouthing me and sending filthy mouthed PM.....this is what you get......the same in KIND but I'm smarter so my prose won't say what yours does constantly....FUCK OFF BAAAAAAATCCCHH(for bitch,presumably)folk think you are a complete Miffanny.theliq keeping the Miffs honest:lol::lol:and shaven and very much sorted.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back