Question for the anti-healthcare crowd

When you depend on profit-making corporations to provide you with care, they are under pressure to make more money every quarter. Which means they either have to raise their prices, cut the quality of their services for the same price, or both.

How is this better than a government-administered service?

Does that question also apply to those who want healthcare but dont like HR 3200?
It applies to anyone who's willing to trust their health to profit-making corporations.

When you depend on profit-making corporations to provide you with care, they are under pressure to make more money every quarter. Which means they either have to raise their prices, cut the quality of their services for the same price, or both.

Competition leads to lower prices, the government's current involvement in medical care stifles competition thus leading to higher prices. The natural progression of the market is towards lower prices and higher quality of goods or services.

no he is right. They should stay out of the care part, but maybe try just tackling the coverage part on its own.
I think that's the current state of the healthcare bill right now.
What we still need to watch out for is to avoid ending up with having a system like Medicare that wasn't allowed to negotiate drug prices. :cuckoo:
Protections against this kind of thing have to be in place in the final bill.

Competition leads to lower prices, the government's current involvement in medical care stifles competition thus leading to higher prices. The natural progression of the market is towards lower prices and higher quality of goods or services.
That applies only when the consumer is at liberty to shop around. Which is obviously not the case in an emergency room.

You do realize that the majority of hospitals are non profit correct?

Does that question also apply to those who want healthcare but dont like HR 3200?
It applies to anyone who's willing to trust their health to profit-making corporations.

However, if my choice is between greedy corporations and an inept government controlled
program...............I don't currently have any complaints about my greedy corporate plan.

That applies only when the consumer is at liberty to shop around. Which is obviously not the case in an emergency room.

Not every doctor's visit is an emergency, however. Most are routine visits and non-life threatening procedures. More competition in this market would mean lower prices and higher quality of care, and would mean people might not rely on insurance for these things and pay with their savings. This would drive down the cost of insurance for actual emergencies.

bullshit, its part of the overall compensation package for hard work. I guess your not smart enough to figure that out. you think healthcare benes are something tacked on at the end? they are something figured into the total compensation offered for the job being done. There is such a thing as a budget and pay scale and those things are predetermined before an employee is even hired.

Not every doctor's visit is an emergency, however. Most are routine visits and non-life threatening procedures. More competition in this market would mean lower prices and higher quality of care...
I don't follow: are you implying the nation has a shortage of doctors?

However, if my choice is between greedy corporations and an inept government controlled
program...............I don't currently have any complaints about my greedy corporate plan.
I hope that remains true the next time you have a claim.

I alwasy agree with anyone who says less government is good government.

Which sounds good, BUT, if you have children and/or drive a car or take a bus or a train or fly anywhere, or get screwed in a contract, want to get married, get divorced, watch TV, listen to the radio, have the pound come get the stray dog off your porch, have a fire department, a police department, a health department.......you get the idea.......you like the government, even if you think you don't.

Not every doctor's visit is an emergency, however. Most are routine visits and non-life threatening procedures. More competition in this market would mean lower prices and higher quality of care...
I don't follow: are you implying the nation has a shortage of doctors?

No. The government has come in and made it illegal in many cases to offer competing prices by implementing a minimum price for certain procedures and medicines.

I alwasy agree with anyone who says less government is good government.

Which sounds good, BUT, if you have children and/or drive a car or take a bus or a train or fly anywhere, or get screwed in a contract, want to get married, get divorced, watch TV, listen to the radio, have the pound come get the stray dog off your porch, have a fire department, a police department, a health department.......you get the idea.......you like the government, even if you think you don't.

All of which could be handled better by the private sector. Though, one of the legitimate functions of government is to defend contracts, I'll give you that. The problem is that most of the time they don't.

I hope that remains true the next time you have a claim.

Only had one issue where Aetna (my old insurance) denied a surgery. I had my sinuses rooter rootered so I could breath normally again. They claimed it was "pre-existing". I went round with them for six months before I contacted the Virginia Insurance Commission (the state regulatory agency - notice they don't provide insurance and I believe every state has one). Within one week Aetna reversed their ruling and everyone was paid. Try that approach next time you have a claim rejected. Wow! A state government advocacy/oversight agency that does it's job without having to provide the actual coverage.
Now try that with a government run social program. If you are familliar with dealing with government run social programs, you know that you are lucky to even have them review your claim within the next fiscal year and make a ruling within the next 5 years. No thanks

Forum List

Back