Question for teabaggers

Essentially, DC is represented by ALL of our Congress.

They don't get to pick their representation. That's tyranny.

No. It's the U.S. Constitution, which is government's contract with the People. No citizen is forced to live in DC. It takes a Constitutional Amendment to change the way things are done there, so if you want to pick a representative, either move or amend the Constitution.

Oh... and on your use of "teabagger" as a pejorative... stuff it up your ass, dipstick. Nobody's intimidated or impressed.

What's so pejorative about the word "teabag" ?

I find it difficult to believe that anyone who follows politics closely would not have understood the epitaph by now. Look it up on your internet browser, and if your next post isn't an embarrassed apology... we'll know you meant to offend.

So taxation without representation is OK as long as its in the Constituion - but NOT Ok if its part of British law - is that how it goes?

No. It's the U.S. Constitution, which is government's contract with the People. No citizen is forced to live in DC. It takes a Constitutional Amendment to change the way things are done there, so if you want to pick a representative, either move or amend the Constitution.

I find it difficult to believe that anyone who follows politics closely would not have understood the epitaph by now. Look it up on your internet browser, and if your next post isn't an embarrassed apology... we'll know you meant to offend.

So taxation without representation is OK as long as its in the Constituion - but NOT Ok if its part of British law - is that how it goes?

Again... no one is forced to live in DC and there's no reason why the Constitution cannot be amended if support for the amendment is strong enough.

The U.S. Constitution was not imposed upon American citizens. It is agreed-upon law, ratified by the States. The purpose of bothering to mention a capital at all was to provide a neutral space.

(Oh... and I note that your very next post was NOT an "embarrassed apology". One must assume that your intention was indeed to offend people... which makes you pretty much a troll and unworthy of further attention.)

Last edited:
Again... no one is forced to live in DC and there's no reason why the Constitution cannot be amended if support for the amendment is strong enough.

Can you please show me the Constitutional amendment that allowed residents of the District to count themselves as residents of Virignia or Maryland for voting purposes from the year 1791 until the Organic Act of 1801? Because if the citizens of D.C. didn't need a constitutional amendment in 1791 to vote for Congressmen I don't see why they need one now.

The U.S. Constitution was not imposed upon American citizens. It is agreed-upon law, ratified by the States.

How can you say it was not imposed on American citizens and acknowledge that it was ratified by the states a sentence later? You are aware that residents of D.C. are citizens, no? Well they didn't get a say as to whether or not to propose OR ratify the 16th amendment.

Last edited:
Do you support the plight of the oppressed citizens of Washington, D.C. - who are being taxed without representation in Congress?

What do you suggest be done spider? Also, How would you go about doing whatever you want done?

The answer is simple. Allow citizens of DC to vote as if they were residents of Maryland for the purposes of the U.S. Congress - exactly the same as it was before the Organic Act of 1801. Then repeal the 23rd and allow them to vote for President as residents of maryland as well.

Is District of Columbia a state?

How about Puerto Rico, Guam, USVI, American Samoa?

Or does your heart only bleed for the biggest money pit city in America?

So then I take it YOU ARE IN FAVOR OF TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION ? A couple hundred years ago they would have strung you up for that.
Let the population of Washington DC be absorbed in to Maryland or Virginia where they can have 2 Senators and a congressman to represent them.

So then I take it YOU ARE IN FAVOR OF TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION ? A couple hundred years ago they would have strung you up for that.
Let the population of Washington DC be absorbed in to Maryland or Virginia where they can have 2 Senators and a congressman to represent them.

:clap2: I agree.

Except that it should be only Maryland, as the Virginia part of DC was retroceded in 1847.

Which is I am offended even today everytime I see a noose. It brings back all those horrible things that my ancestors had to endure that I should be getting special treatment for.

Essentially, DC is represented by ALL of our Congress.

Oh... and on your use of "teabagger" as a pejorative... stuff it up your ass, dipstick. Nobody's intimidated or impressed.

well of course he means to offend. You don't really expect an apology from a mental giant such as spidertuba do you? Of course, hes just repeating what he heard from some other liberal who was faster on the draw. He also enjoys using the word because it's part of his comfort zone. He LOVES teabagging apparently because he can't seem to differentiate between a Tea Party member and a person who enjoy dropping his nutsack in someone's mouth

Do you even know why it is set up that way?? Not having a favored state house the nation's capital... It took an amendment to have them voting for President and would take the same to change it for them to gain the rights of a state as far as congressional representation.... If it passes, fine.. If it don't, fine... I can see both sides of the argument

And please remember that TECHNICALLY they are represented... by a non-voting representative who does participate in committee, etc

Which is I am offended even today everytime I see a noose. It brings back all those horrible things that my ancestors had to endure that I should be getting special treatment for.

Huh?

Article I, Section 8, Clause 17 of the U.S. Constitution. Essentially, DC is represented by ALL of our Congress. They are hardly unrepresented. They've got more representation than any of the rest of us have. :rolleyes:

Some posters never got out of the grade school mentality where name calling rules the playground. Perhaps some posters are still in school as that would explain the immaturity of many posts.

Do you even know why it is set up that way?? Not having a favored state house the nation's capital... It took an amendment to have them voting for President and would take the same to change it for them to gain the rights of a state as far as congressional representation

Right. And people who are against taxation without representation would support such an amendment. Are you against taxation without representation?

No, but they'd have tarred and feathered you for sure.

Does anyone else find it amazing how quickly the Tea Bagger "movement" has become old news? They held their extravagant convention with Palin and her telepalmter as the keynote speaker and then they got in bed with Michael Steale and since have pretty much disappeared from our political landscape.....as they should.

Do you even know why it is set up that way?? Not having a favored state house the nation's capital... It took an amendment to have them voting for President and would take the same to change it for them to gain the rights of a state as far as congressional representation

Right. And people who are against taxation without representation would support such an amendment. Are you against taxation without representation?

Again.. I see both sides of the argument... it is not a state, nor should it be a state, as to prevent a favored state housing the nation's capital.... but the people would like a representative that can vote....

But as pointed out, they are NOT without representation... they DO have a representative... so your argument is a moot point

Does anyone else find it amazing how quickly the Tea Bagger "movement" has become old news? They held their extravagant convention with Palin and her telepalmter as the keynote speaker and then they got in bed with Michael Steale and since have pretty much disappeared from our political landscape.....as they should.

Really? Just because they aren't protesting in the streets, they have disappeared?
Would you bet the farm on that? I sure wouldn't

They have no unified message, all they do is bitch and whine and yell at people

Again.. I see both sides of the argument... it is not a state, nor should it be a state, as to prevent a favored state housing the nation's capital.... but the people would like a representative that can vote....

But as pointed out, they are NOT without representation... they DO have a representative... so your argument is a moot point

'
Uhhh, no they don't. Washington, D.C. has a single non-voting delegate to the House, that's not a representative nor would the Founders have considered a non-voting delegate to be sufficient representation for taxation.

The solution is quite simple. Just count residents of D.C. as residents of Maryland for Congressional voting purposes - but retain the same federal control over the district. Indian reservations are federal areas - the states have no sovereignty over them - but their residents still vote for Congress as state residents. No reason the same couldn't be done for Maryland.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back