Question for Liberals

Discussion in 'Politics' started by P@triot, Jun 28, 2012.

?

Does it bother you that everyone invovled lied about Obamacare

Poll closed Jul 5, 2012.
  1. Yes - getting a law passed through deceit is unacceptable

66.7%
  2. No - who cares, as long as the government gives us free stuff

33.3%
  1. P@triot

P@triot Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,776
    Considering the Obama Administration and every supporter of his bill insisted, on record, for over a year that this was not a tax - are liberals upset with this blatant lie or do the ends justify the means regardless?

2. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    I plan on continuing to buy health insurance, so I don't quite see what tax you are talking about. Now for you freeloaders who don't want to pay for insurance and want those who do to subsidize you, well, tough fucking shit.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. P@triot

P@triot Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,776
    It was only upheld because the SCOTUS said the federal government does have the right to impose taxes after the Obama Administration testified before them as much. However, that was after almost two years of claiming their bill was NOT a tax (so they could get it approved through Congress).

It's a pretty agregious lie - tell Congress it's not to push it through, tells SCOTUS it is to keep it from being ruled unconstitutional. The question becomes, which is it? Is the bill a tax or is it not a tax?

And this is a poll to see if the liberals have a problem with the lie or if they feel the ends justifies the means.

4. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,024
    How could it have been a lie when SCOTUS had not yet ruled on it?

5. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,767
    People who can afford insurance yet still don't get it deserve a stupidity tax. We tax other forms of stupid, self-destructive, anti-social behavior such as drinking, gambling, and smoking, our conservative friends should be used to it.

6. P@triot

P@triot Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,776
    I must sheepishly admit I feel really stupid right now. When I posted this, it seemed like such a straight forward, simple yes or no question. But everyone is just dancing around it. Then I realized, you can't have a simple conversation with a liberal. They contradict themselves, so you can't expect them not to get confused when someone else is talking. :lol:

7. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    It was never the Government’s position that the provision was not a tax:

The CJ didn't just pull 'tax' out of thin air.

8. Black_Label

Black_Label Registered Democrat

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +514
    You're just getting pissy because your failed troll thread is blowing up in your face.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,767
    You should feel stupid offering a crappy push poll like this and expecting anything else, besides, no one even mentioned this angle before today, new-found respect for Roberts just for coming up with it.

10. Bloodline

Bloodline I sink SHIPS!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Do you have a link or any proof that the Obama administration "testified before them as much?"

As far as I know the tax idea came strictly from Roberts.

On the one hand, he said, the law’s requirement that most Americans obtain health insurance or pay a penalty could be justified under Congress’s power to levy taxes. The four liberals agreed, though they would have preferred to sustain the law as a regulation of commerce.

But the law could not be justified in that way, the chief justice went on, and here he was joined by the court’s four more conservative members.

Chief Justice Roberts suggested that even he did not find the tax argument especially plausible. But he quoted Justice Holmes to explain why it was good enough. “As between two possible interpretations of a statute, by one of which it would be unconstitutional and by the other valid,” Justice Holmes wrote, “our plain duty is to adopt that which will save the act.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/us/politics/a-defining-move-for-chief-justice-roberts.html