Question for Eric

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
I have/had another problem loading the small picture files on here similar to last time. The difference is that this time they always loaded, it just took forever. I noticed when I used my wireless laptop I didn't really see the problem. Then I noticed that when I browsed the board here without logging in it seemed fine. I then deleted all my cookies and restarted my browser. So far it's back to normal, but I'll wait a while longer before declaring that the fix since the problem was somewhat sporadic.

Could a corrupt cookie cause page loading issues?

FWIW - I didn't experience this issue on any other sites that I use that require cookies.

I also put in another "fix" that I read about on another board. Look at the pic below, I unchecked the option for "Use http 1.1" as recommended by another user.

Not sure if either of these fixed my issue, and I'm not really sure if the issue is even fixed yet! Just wanted a second opinion on those 2 areas. Thanks!

I guess it was neither one of those, as the problem still exists. I went back to Mozilla again and have no problems. Mozilla is just lacking a few options/plugins I would like, otherwise I would switch over completely.

I've also found many other users reporting the same problems, and it all goes back to a bug in IE version 6.0.28

Is there any way to upgrade/downgrade to specific releases?

The HTTP protocol should have nothing to do with it. By the way I too have noticed a slow down, but not with images just in general. I will run a couple of server tests on the web server and let you know the results. If the problems continue, I might have a good idea. My company has joined forces with a class A data center in texas. They have outstanding server equipment and a top notch network infrastructure. Check this out:

All servers are based on Dual or Quad Intel Xeon hyperthreading processors.

They are connected via multiple Gig-E, OC3 and DS-3 lines thru network carriers such as AT&T, Level3, Williams, YIPES (Level3 and Genuity), and Global Crossing.

We now have access to their resources at very, very reasonable costs and I was thinking about grabbing some space for personal use. If the problems turn out to be at the provider and you get no satisfaction we could always transfer the board there.

Eric, you use Mozilla at all?

I'm running it now, and the size of the text box displayed where you would type your post seems half as wide as in IE. I can type about 5 words and then it wraps to the next page. Once the message is posted it is fine, but it's a pain in the ass to follow as you're typing.

Here's a screenshot:

No, I have not use mozilla, too busy tweaking IE all the time.

Originally posted by eric
No, I have not use mozilla, too busy tweaking IE all the time.

I'm not convinced the problem is related to my provider. I have 2 sessions open here, one in IE and the other Mozilla. When the IE starts bogging down loading the images I do the same thing in Mozilla and they load fine.

It's odd about the text box, I thought that was designed by the code in the page. I guess Mozilla interprets it differently.

I solved the text box size issue!

It turns out it is a vBulletin 'problem'.

The default setting for IE is 70, Netscape 4.x is 50 and Netscape 6.x is 40. I guess Mozilla is detected as NS6. Changed all 3 to 70 and now it's perfect!

Now if I could get rid of a few more "bugs", I'll never go back to IE again!

Jim, I ran some preliminary tests, it does seem the bottleneck is in the browser because raw "HTTP GETS" return the web pages very quicky. I'm going to try and narrow down the cause.

If you are going to use Mozilla, then use Firefox 0.9.3

Of course since it lacks ActiveX and Vbscript, there will still be a need for IE. Not to mention there are still some pages that do not display correctly.

Forum List

Back