Question for dog owners of old or passed pets.

restlessness and whimpering might mean internal pain/cancer/tumor.

What breed and how old?
Shitzou, I know I butchered the spelling.
About 16 yrs

He has done better the last few nights. I've mostly kept him close to me but the other night he was sleeping in his cage when I got up to go out for a smoke so I just closed his door. 4 am he let me know that, that was a dumb decision. As long as I keep him close he seems ok.
Unfortunately I've been working near 7 days a week so I haven't been around as much as I'd like.
Dogs this size and age can have kidney problems for a long while before being noticed by an owner. You mentioned your dog having trouble eliminating. Could be intestinal problems. I would get my dog/best friend to a vet..posthaste. If lab tests prove all things fine, I would get myself to a doc as Grandma suggested, in an above post.

All the best to you, sweetheart. It is a worry when we feel helpless to care for those who love us the most. :smiliehug:

As some of you may remember a couple years back I had to revive my little buddy. Well he did really well for a couple years but now he is starting some really weird behavior.

Let me start off by saying I have kennel trained every dog ive ever had. Once the initial training is over they become very accustomed to being in their kennel either on their own accord or when they are confined on purpose. Over the years more often than not he can be found in his kennel just chillin. He has always used it as his "space" even when not told to go there.

He is almost always put there when I leave for work or at night if he isn't on my bed.

But lately he has started a really bizarre behavior. He still randomly goes in it during the day but if I try to confine him at night he now bangs on the door with his head or huffs n puffs as if he is out of breath. It's like he has suddenly become claustrophobic after 15 years of being in it at night.
After 4 restless nights with me getting no sleep I tried confining him to just the dining room on the stone floor. That didn't work either because he just noisily paced the floor letting out occasional whimpers.
Finally I got a smaller kennel and placed it next to my bed where he could see me. The first night was a struggle but now he seems to have adapted to it for the most part.

All of this behavior is brand new and completely out of character for him. He still has a spunky daytime personality and eats pretty well and the issues only seem to come up at night. He does sleep A LOT more & has trouble taking a dump.

I've had some suggest that I have him put down but I'm not sure it's time for that. Having said that I can't take too many more nights of only getting 2 to 4 hours of sleep.

Help.......

It sounds like he's at least 15? So he is a pretty old fellow. Dogs can get dementia - does any of this sound like what's going on?

Sundowning Symptoms in Dogs eHow
Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome in Dogs

Has he had bloodwork done recently? Sometimes liver or kidney disease can cause behavioral/mental changes. There might be some medication that can help.

(((Hugs to you))) - those old guys are pretty special :)
No more vet visits. After the last episode a year & a half back or so the vet told me that at his age I should not revive him again & not bring him in anymore. She thought the stress would do more harm than she could do good.

Pretty much just biding our time and trying to enjoy what's left.
His behavior just kinda went wacko very abruptly and it took me by surprise.
It isn't the kennel cause he still goes in it all the time.
I figure he just wants to be close to me for some weird reason or he is suddenly claustrophobic for some strange reason.

We are trying new routines each night now to try to figure it out. So far the only thing that works is him being close to me.

Good luck. I remember my Angel's last night. She had a difficult time climbing stairs, so I just slept on the couch downstairs.

If he just wants to be close, why not let him be close as much as possible?

As some of you may remember a couple years back I had to revive my little buddy. Well he did really well for a couple years but now he is starting some really weird behavior.

Let me start off by saying I have kennel trained every dog ive ever had. Once the initial training is over they become very accustomed to being in their kennel either on their own accord or when they are confined on purpose. Over the years more often than not he can be found in his kennel just chillin. He has always used it as his "space" even when not told to go there.

He is almost always put there when I leave for work or at night if he isn't on my bed.

But lately he has started a really bizarre behavior. He still randomly goes in it during the day but if I try to confine him at night he now bangs on the door with his head or huffs n puffs as if he is out of breath. It's like he has suddenly become claustrophobic after 15 years of being in it at night.
After 4 restless nights with me getting no sleep I tried confining him to just the dining room on the stone floor. That didn't work either because he just noisily paced the floor letting out occasional whimpers.
Finally I got a smaller kennel and placed it next to my bed where he could see me. The first night was a struggle but now he seems to have adapted to it for the most part.

All of this behavior is brand new and completely out of character for him. He still has a spunky daytime personality and eats pretty well and the issues only seem to come up at night. He does sleep A LOT more & has trouble taking a dump.

I've had some suggest that I have him put down but I'm not sure it's time for that. Having said that I can't take too many more nights of only getting 2 to 4 hours of sleep.

Help.......
Do something I couldn't. Put the old guy to sleep. I have been there done that. I let my old guy suffer and stroked out and I had to put the old man to sleep as he was piddling in my arms. It broke my heart. Don't let your dog suffer. It it is the best thing for all concerned.

Forum List

Back