Question for conservatives about government spending

Government does not pay for the roads. I do, and he does, and they do, and so on and so on....

However, the roads are paid for through what is known as consumption. Every time I fill up at the gas station, I pay for those roads. Every time I pay a toll fee, I pay for them.

People who sit at home and consume hard narcotics all day don't use the roads, and don't pay the gas tax.

Government is a facilitator for the roads, and it benefits everyone.

It does not benefit anyone to pay for a person who stands at the corner all day, and hangs with his 'bros' so that he can score drugs and waste away his life instead of sitting at a kitchen table with a text book learning how to assemble a printed circuit board, or measure the proper angle for constructing a gable for a roof.

The entire premise is flawed. Government can also come and lock you the fuck up if it wants to. Do you support that as well?

Simply because government can do a thing, does not mean it SHOULD do a thing.

Last edited:
Why should government pay for a road that starts at the end of your driveway and leads to any address in the continental United States - but not for food stamps for needy families with children?

The federal government has no authority to build roads nor feed families. That is a state issue. Next.

Ahh.. the roads argument

You know.. those roads that every last person can use, without question.. to drive a car on, ride a bike on, push a wagon on, walk down, etc...

You can push a wagon down I-10? I wasn't aware the law changed. Link?

Does this mean its OK for the government to fund free movie theatres - so long as they are open to all?

You can drive a car down i-10, as long as you have a license.. or ride with someone else.. or take a bus on there.. or eat an orange that was transported on there.. or buy a tv that was also transported on there.. or hire a lawn guy who travels to you on there

Where does the government have the authority in the constitution to provide entertainment??

You are not only an idiot, but nothing more than a goddamn troll

Do you have any actual arguments as to why the road system is best left to big government or are you just going to call me stupid?

If you actually have to have this explained to you, then yes, I'm going to call you stupid.

All I want is you to explain to me why you think the road and highways system is best handled by big government instead of a free market. Do you deny that the free market can maintain roads and highways for less than government? Do you deny that the free market can better determine where roads and highways are needed?

We DO have some free market roads that are handled pretty well... and we do have private roads as well...

But keep going with your little crack induced bullshit.... I like watching someone else show how much of an idiot they are

And the free market is incapable of providing the roads that private enterprise needs for trade? why do you have such little confidence in capitalism?

Gawd, you are one stupid gubmint dependent.

Is the free market is incapable of providing the roads that private enterprise needs for trade?

As stated, there are roads like the Dulles (greenway) Toll road that are maintained and operated by a private business.. and you pay the toll for it, each person who wishes to use it...

But keep making yourself look like an idiot... it's pretty damn funny

Why should government pay for a road that starts at the end of your driveway and leads to any address in the continental United States - but not for food stamps for needy families with children?

Is it simply because you derive a direct benefit from one and not the other?

First off, government doesn't pay for anything, taxpayers pay for things... government produces nothing.
Government IS the People.

It's a policy matter. Most people have no problem with tax money going to help the needy, just with government policies that continually create more and more needy that then must be "taken care of".
Right, they have no trouble with tax money that help the needy, they are just opposed to every single law that does that. Can you name ONE law that gives tax monies to the needy that YOU don't oppose? I doubt it.

Not to mention, "taken care of" runs the gamut from free cell phones to food.

Oh, I see, you're just opposed to government helping the needy out with frivolous things, like food.

We pay for their food, shelter, healthcare, etc. so they can use their own money to buy drugs, booze, and cigarettes.

Government does not pay for the roads. I do, and he does, and they do, and so on and so on....

However, the roads are paid for through what is known as consumption. Every time I fill up at the gas station, I pay for those roads. Every time I pay a toll fee, I pay for them.

Only partially.

People who sit at home and consume hard narcotics all day don't use the roads, and don't pay the gas tax.
Wow thanks Mr. Obvious.[

Government is a facilitator for the roads, and it benefits everyone.
So if it benefits everyone government should pay for it? So if government bought free tickets to the local football games for people, so long as everyone could get them, that would be A-OK, right? So long as it benefits all.

It does not benefit anyone to pay for a person who stands at the corner all day, and hangs with his 'bros' so that he can score drugs and waste away his life instead of sitting at a kitchen table with a text book learning how to assemble a printed circuit board, or measure the proper angle for constructing a gable for a roof.

Great. What government program pays for that?

So why SHOULD they pave the roads? You say its because all benefit from it - I can name a zillion things that we'd all benefit from if government paid for it.

If you actually have to have this explained to you, then yes, I'm going to call you stupid.

All I want is you to explain to me why you think the road and highways system is best handled by big government instead of a free market. Do you deny that the free market can maintain roads and highways for less than government? Do you deny that the free market can better determine where roads and highways are needed?

We DO have some free market roads that are handled pretty well... and we do have private roads as well...

You didn't answer my question. I want to know why you think government should be involved in building roads and highways when the free market can handle it. Or do you not think the free market can handle it?

Can you answer that or not? Its not that complicated of a question, the only reason you wouldn't be able to answer it is if you didn't have an answer.

Only partially.

Wow thanks Mr. Obvious.[

So if it benefits everyone government should pay for it? So if government bought free tickets to the local football games for people, so long as everyone could get them, that would be A-OK, right? So long as it benefits all.

So why SHOULD they pave the roads? You say its because all benefit from it - I can name a zillion things that we'd all benefit from if government paid for it.

Is there anything the taxpayer should not be providing you for free, homey?

First off, government doesn't pay for anything, taxpayers pay for things... government produces nothing.
Government IS the People.

Right, they have no trouble with tax money that help the needy, they are just opposed to every single law that does that. Can you name ONE law that gives tax monies to the needy that YOU don't oppose? I doubt it.

Not to mention, "taken care of" runs the gamut from free cell phones to food.

Oh, I see, you're just opposed to government helping the needy out with frivolous things, like food.

We pay for their food, shelter, healthcare, etc. so they can use their own money to buy drugs, booze, and cigarettes.

I had no idea that drug dealers had the equipment to run an EBT card.

Only partially.

Wow thanks Mr. Obvious.[

Why should government be responsible for paving roads and highways instead of the free market?

You didn't answer my question. I want to know why you think government should be involved in building roads and highways when the free market can handle it. Or do you not think the free market can handle it?

Can you answer that or not? Its not that complicated of a question, the only reason you wouldn't be able to answer it is if you didn't have an answer.

It is a direct power vested in the constitution.... unlike paying for your communication, food, house, etc

I do think the free market COULD handle it, as it does in many cases... hell, it's not like the government ACTUALLY does all the work now, it is contracted out

Only partially.

Wow thanks Mr. Obvious.[

Wow, really? Government does not pay for it. How much more do I have to dumb it down?

People agree that the states should build and maintain roads. Therefore, it is an acceptable social contract. There are private roads (usually better maintained) and roads built by business that the public is allowed to use if they pay for the upkeep through the toll system.

The key here is that there is no big push back to building roads. The Federal government is only responsible for the Interstate highway (and that has been pushed off to the states too).

So, your premise now flows that if we all think that roads are a good thing and that we have no problem for paying a consumption tax for roads, we should not have problem at all with paying for people who have checked out of their own life and want us to maintain their breathing apparatus, or as I like to refer to them as, air wasters.

Now, here comes the really tricky part, so pay attention.

Not all the people think that paying for people who do not want to take responsibility for themselves is such a good idea. It promotes sloth, is a drain on the livelihoods of those who enjoy participation in their own lives, and is generally a bad thing of any soceity, as witnessed by anyone who has read any history other than the history of pot and the bud wars.

So, there is a huge push back and it is not a universal agreement that we should support this kind of behavior. We instead, support what is called a safety net. That is Safe T net. You understand?

This Safe T net is there so that people who, through no fault of their own, have ran across a bit of bad luck and really, could just use a little support until they get back on their feet.

Now, pay attention. That is a key concept here.

When they get back on their feet. It implies that they are willing to brush themselves off, take a hand up and get back into this little game called life. Just about everyone (not sure about that pack of communists in the Cascades) supports the idea that occasionally, shit happens. So, we say, hey bud, or buddet, we get it.. Here is a little help to get you back on your way.

What you are advocating for is that people who have bad circumstances should have the right to just give up and take a free ride at the expense of everyone else. Since very few people actually support that, your entire 'road theory' thing falls apart.

If government is us, as you say, then government should do what 'us' say, don't you agree?

One question to see if you have been paying attention. How do you think that these programs have gotten so out of control?

Last edited:
Only partially.

Wow thanks Mr. Obvious.[

Why should government be responsible for paving roads and highways instead of the free market?

Because unlike feeding crack babies, roads are a shared resource for shared use.

Forum List

Back