Question for atheists, agnostics, other non-believers.

Do you think our rights are being violated by giving tax breaks to religious organiza

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
It's not really a draw. Si Modo seems unable to distinguish the reporting requirements for religious charities (the LDS Church has many, from social services to emergency food banks) from religious congregations. The LDS Church is required to engage in public financial disclosure FOR THEIR CHARITIES. They are not required to engage in public financial disclosure for their RELIGIOUS ACTIVITIES. Si Modo has equated the two as one, and they are not the same.

It's not really a draw. Si Modo seems unable to distinguish the reporting requirements for religious charities (the LDS Church has many, from social services to emergency food banks) from religious congregations. The LDS Church is required to engage in public financial disclosure FOR THEIR CHARITIES. They are not required to engage in public financial disclosure for their RELIGIOUS ACTIVITIES. Si Modo has equated the two as one, and they are not the same.
Damn, you really are a moron.

The IRS classifies the LDS as a split interest trust, not a non-profit. Most other churches are classified as non-profits and they ARE required to provide their information. You are just too fucking lazy to look for it or ask for it.

Sorry about your butthurt.

The IRS classifies the LDS as a split interest trust, not a non-profit. Most other churches are classified as non-profits and they ARE required to provide their information.

Provide evidence of the claim. The evidence you provided was for non-profits, but did not cover churches. You are now making an affirmative claim and should back it up with proof.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2006/marchweb-only/111-12.0.html

With such news stories and other perennial questions about the use of congregational funds, observers say the debate over requiring the disclosure of church finances isn't going away.

It has, however, suffered a major setback. The Massachusetts House rejected legislation January 25 that would have required religious organizations to file financial reports with the state. The bill was overwhelmingly defeated in the House by a 147-3 vote after passing in the Senate last fall.

The legislation would have required churches, synagogues, and mosques to file the same financial disclosure forms with the state that are required of other nonprofit organizations. Any organization with annual revenues of more than $500,000 would have needed to hire an independent auditor to file detailed financial reports every year.

Though the bill would have applied to all religious groups, the chief sponsor of the bill, Sen. Marian Walsh said frustration with the Massachusetts archdiocese sparked the creation of the bill. Lawmakers and lay Catholics have demanded more information from the archdiocese as it settled civil suits from the clergy sexual abuse crisis and closed several parishes.

"The incredible irresponsible events of one of the largest public charities were the genesis of this bill," said Walsh, a Democrat. "People want the books opened up. I just think it's going to take more time."

As of right now, July 2011, churches are not subject to the same financial disclosure laws that non-profits are.

There are a lot of denominations where congregants are calling for open financial disclosure, but it has not occurred, and it is not required under federal law.

Church of God: http://cogchange.blogspot.com/2010/01/proposals-for-tranparencyfull.html

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS): http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/lds-church-financial-disclosure/

Catholic Church: http://www.wickedlocal.com/roslindale/news/x902796931#axzz1RXsK5IHQ (particularly relevant in light of the child sex abuse scandals).

You're simply wrong. You don't know what you're talking about, and your posts on this thread make this abundantly clear.

Last edited:

The IRS classifies the LDS as a split interest trust, not a non-profit. Most other churches are classified as non-profits and they ARE required to provide their information.

Provide evidence of the claim. The evidence you provided was for non-profits, but did not cover churches. You are now making an affirmative claim and should back it up with proof.
I did. You are too lazy to even link to it.

No, snookems, you din't. You provided a link to laws regarding non-profits. Religious congregations and denominations are exempt from many of the requirements for non-profits, and they are not legally required to financially disclose where their donations are spent. A religious denomination, while it does not exist to make a profit, is not bound by the same requirement that a charity or non-profit is (and I use the terms in the legal sense). A congregation can file to become a non-profit (and then, donors contributions are tax-deductible), but they still don't have to disclose their financial records to the public.

One of the problems with the child sex abuse cases is this very issue. The plaintiffs/victims in these cases don't even know what the full extent of the church's income and assets are, because they are not required to publicly disclose this information.

Last edited:

No, snookems, you din't. You provided a link to laws regarding non-profits. Religious congregations and denominations are exempt from many of the requirements for non-profits, and they are not legally required to financially disclose where their donations are spent. A religious denomination, while it does not exist to make a profit, is not bound by the same requirement that a charity or non-profit is (and I use the terms in the legal sense). A congregation can file to become a non-profit (and then, donors contributions are tax-deductible), but they still don't have to file public financial records.
Not according to the IRS transparency requirements on financial reporting. And, I linked to it. Just because you are too lazy to ask the church that interests you for the report doesn't mean it is not available to you. You obviously cannot read or are even more intellectually lazy than I originally thought.

Moron.

PS20 – Practical Solutions » Church & Non-Profit Explained (Part 4)

On the other hand, all non-church organizations seeking tax-exempt status must complete Form 1023 from the IRS. Once Form 1023 has been approved, non-church organizations then qualify as tax-exempt charitable organizations. The fact that all non-church organizations must apply for an Exemption letter leads many people to conclude that all churches must apply and receive the same Exemption letter as well. This is simply not true. Furthermore, all non-church charitable organizations must also file an annual Form 990, which includes the disclosure of detailed financial statements, including Officer compensation. Form 990, in its entirety, is listed in IRS Publication 78, which is publicly accessible on the web at GuideStar.org.

Churches that have completed Form 1023 are NOT required to complete an annual Form 990 return. Many churches file Form 990, even though they do not have to. We recommend that if you submit Form 1023 to the IRS, then be sure not to submit Form 990. As mentioned, Form 990 becomes public information and we believe the financial operations of the church and officer salaries should remain private. If you are ever challenged by a government or other organization to file Form 990, then refer them to IRC 6033(a)(3)(A)(i) and Reg. 1.6033-2(g)(1)(i) which expressly exempts churches from filing Form 990 and continues to apply even if the church files a Form 1023.

Finally, Form 1023 is similar to Form 990 in that it also requests officer compensation amounts and this information is also made “public”. However, this information is not nearly as accessible as Form 990
. One must file Form 4506(A) with the IRS and the IRS will send you the completed Form 1023.

No. Churches are not required to openly disclose their financials in the same way that non-profits are.

But, the paragraph above is chock full of numbers and big words. I do not expect you to comprehend it. I post this information purely for OTHERS on this thread who don't have their heads buried quite so deeply in their anuses as you do, Si Modo.

Last edited:
PS20 – Practical Solutions » Church & Non-Profit Explained (Part 4)

On the other hand, all non-church organizations seeking tax-exempt status must complete Form 1023 from the IRS. Once Form 1023 has been approved, non-church organizations then qualify as tax-exempt charitable organizations. The fact that all non-church organizations must apply for an Exemption letter leads many people to conclude that all churches must apply and receive the same Exemption letter as well. This is simply not true. Furthermore, all non-church charitable organizations must also file an annual Form 990, which includes the disclosure of detailed financial statements, including Officer compensation. Form 990, in its entirety, is listed in IRS Publication 78, which is publicly accessible on the web at GuideStar.org.

Churches that have completed Form 1023 are NOT required to complete an annual Form 990 return. Many churches file Form 990, even though they do not have to. We recommend that if you submit Form 1023 to the IRS, then be sure not to submit Form 990. As mentioned, Form 990 becomes public information and we believe the financial operations of the church and officer salaries should remain private. If you are ever challenged by a government or other organization to file Form 990, then refer them to IRC 6033(a)(3)(A)(i) and Reg. 1.6033-2(g)(1)(i) which expressly exempts churches from filing Form 990 and continues to apply even if the church files a Form 1023.

Finally, Form 1023 is similar to Form 990 in that it also requests officer compensation amounts and this information is also made “public”. However, this information is not nearly as accessible as Form 990. One must file Form 4506(A) with the IRS and the IRS will send you the completed Form 1023.
I'll go with what the IRS says on their site about churches and that they require disclosure. You can go with your Christian site (or whatever) on what the IRS requires, though.

But that still doesn't change the fact that you are lazy.

Last edited:
I'll go with what the IRS says on their site about churches and that they require disclosure. You can go with your Christian site (or whatever) on what the IRS requires, though.

IF the IRS legally requires disclosure, why are church congregations having to ask for it?

Are they lazy, too?

Or, is there something you're missing here with your simplistic little beetle brain?

I'm going to go with the latter.

IF the IRS legally requires disclosure, why are church congregations having to ask for it?

Are they lazy, too?

Or, is there something you're missing here with your simplistic little beetle brain?

I'm going to go with the latter.
Good grief. You want the churches to staple the disclosures to all the telephone poles and in store windows so that the lazy folks like you don't have to ask them for it?

Good grief. You want the churches to staple the disclosures to all the telephone poles and in store windows so that the lazy folks like you don't have to ask them for it?

I love it when people who don't know what they're talking about use my link to pretend to be tax experts. Speaking of lazy. ;)

I love it when people who don't know what they're talking about use my link to pretend to be tax experts. Speaking of lazy. ;)
What link of yours did I use?

I love it when the lazy persons bitch about not having something and when it's shown that all they have to do is ask for it, they get so emotionally torqued up that they become even more idiotic than they are normally.

And, I love it when they can't read and somehow think I said I am a tax expert.

I love it when the lazy persons bitch about not having something and when it's shown that all they have to do is ask for it, they get so emotionally torqued up that they become even more idiotic than they are normally.

Sorry, I thought you posted this one: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

They contain almost identitical information.

As far as reading comprehension fails, I never thought you were a tax expert. At this point, we all know you aren't. But, apparently you think you are.

Sorry, I thought you posted this one: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

They contain almost identitical information.

As far as reading comprehension fails, I never thought you were a tax expert. At this point, we all know you aren't. But, apparently you think you are.
Actually I don't think I am. At all. You're an idiot for thinking that.

And, you're quite lazy. If something doesn't get spoon fed to you, it doesn't exist.

And, if you're shown to be the lazy idiot that you are, you get emotionally torqued up about it.

You embarrass me like a comedian who bombs on stage. Cringeworthy.

And, if you're shown to be the lazy idiot that you are, you get emotionally torqued up about it.

Churches have means to protect information that they believe to be confidential, in regards to their expenditures, from public purview. The Catholic church has used these tactics in the child sexual abuse cases. The LDS Church does it all the time, as well. I've provided considerable evidence of this. The Catholic church has been so effective at this that it has really handicapped civil litigation against them.

What's really embarrassing is that you've staked out a know-nothing position, and you continue to defend it. Based upon that, your performance in this thread is a pretty epic fail.

If you were smarter, you'd realize this. Based upon this, what makes you cringe is essentially meaningless to me. I've provided the relevant facts, you've refused to comment on them or read them. If you have no shame about that, why would I worry about what makes you cringe?

Churches have means to protect information that they believe to be confidential, in regards to their expenditures, from public purview. The Catholic church has used these tactics in the child sexual abuse cases. The LDS Church does it all the time, as well. I've provided considerable evidence of this. The Catholic church has been so effective at this that it has really handicapped civil litigation against them.

What's really embarrassing is that you've staked out a know-nothing position, and you continue to defend it. Based upon that, your performance in this thread is a pretty epic fail.

If you were smarter, you'd realize this. Based upon this, what makes you cringe is essentially meaningless to me. I've provided the relevant facts, you've refused to comment on them or read them. If you have no shame about that, why would I worry about what makes you cringe?
First of all, and again, the LDS is a split-trust organization acccording to the IRS, yet you keep ignoring that. That's because you are an idiot, I must assume.

Secondly, all exempt organizations - including churches - provide the information you were bitching that they don't provide to anyone who requests that information. Those are the IRS rules. You are too lazy to ask for the information and you apparently want it spoon fed to you.

So, because you are in such turmoil that this information is not available to you, and now that you know it is if you make the effort to ask for it, you might want to start asking for it. I mean, you are so upset by all this, right?

Or, are you just upset that you look like the intellectually lazy idiot that you clearly are?

Do you think our rights are being violated by giving tax breaks to religious organizations?

We're taxed more in order to give churches/synagogues/mosques/etc tax breaks.

I want to give full disclosure on my opinion for those who don't already know it. I believe those organizations should get tax breaks on the individual charitable causes they do (feeding the homeless etc), but I don't like that I'm taxed more so that they can more easily afford new books, new building ammenities, decorations, etc. They also don't have to pay property taxes and we do, despite not following any of their beliefs.

Yes I understand that complaint and am somewhat sympathetic.

But that same complaint can be leveled at every NOT FOR PROFIT endeavor, can't it?

We pay higher taxes because private universities, clubs, benevolnnt organziations and so forth also do not pay taxes.

Why single our religious NFPs?

Forum List

Back