Question for all you geniuses; what is the atmospheric pressure in the Sun ....

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Talking about the Photosphere's atmospheric pressure. I have googled for it and cannot find anything anywhere.

Does anyone have better Google-fu than I do and can find the atmospheric pressure of the Suns Photosphere?

images

At the center of the sun, barring a solid core but even if there is a small solid core, the atmospheric pressure would be approaching the pressure needed to become degenerate matter...

Degenerate matter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Talking about the Photosphere's atmospheric pressure. I have googled for it and cannot find anything anywhere.

Does anyone have better Google-fu than I do and can find the atmospheric pressure of the Suns Photosphere?

I think you need to Google physical properties of the Sun and take it from there, the only thing I found was this:

Where is the Sun's Photosphere?

The Sun's outer layer is called the corona and is the source of solar flares. It is hard to define because the pressure is so low -- it's practically like still being in space. Underneath this is the 2000-km-deep chromosphere, and beneath that is the photosphere. The exact place the photosphere begins is difficult to measure, because the Sun doesn't have a clear surface -- the Sun's particles just get less and less dense gradually until you're in space.

The photosphere is believed to have a thickness of approximately 400 kilometers and is where the transparency of the Sun changes from 100% down to 0%. At a depth of 200 km into the photosphere we are still able to see 89% of the light that is emitted. At a depth of 300 km we see only 64%. And by 400 km we only receive 4% of the light being emitted.

Properties of the Sun's Photosphere
The outer part of the Sun's photosphere has a temperature of 4465 K, and this is usually the quoted figure when people talk about the 'surface temperature' of the Sun. As you move through the 400 kilometers, this temperature gradually increases until it reaches 7610 K at the innermost part of the photosphere.

Graph Showing How Temperature (bottom axis, solid line) and Density (top axis, dashed line) Varies with Position Relative to Top of Photosphere (left axis)
422px-sun_atmosphere_temperature_and_density_skylab.jpg

The pressure of the gases and plasma in the Sun also gradually increases, starting at 0.0068 bar and increasing to 0.16 bar, which is a 24-fold increase. This is still much lower than the pressure on Earth, which is defined as 1 bar.
I hope this helps I enjoyed looking for it.

The pressure of the gases and plasma in the Sun also gradually increases, starting at 0.0068 bar and increasing to 0.16 bar, which is a 24-fold increase. This is still much lower than the pressure on Earth, which is defined as 1 bar.

I keep seeing references to the density of the Suns atmosphere, but density is only a third of the equation. The temperature and depth of the atmosphere are relevant also.

Did you see anything that gave any specific numbers for atmopspheric pressure in the Photosphere itself other than the above? And do you have a link for thatdata you did share with me?

Thank you very much for your help. Thisis the closest thing I have seen to any hard numbers, I just want to plug them into the broader picture of how the Photosphere, Chromosphere and Corona interlink with each other. I am thinking that they are not so much layers as intermixed 'weather' features in the Suns atmosphere and react to the magnetic storms and maybe electrical ones too? Lots of iron vapor and carbon particulate, it would seem as these temps are lower than the melting point of carbon and way below its melting point. Iron doped carbon ash might be a significant 'weather' contribution to the Suns magnetic gyros and implies more electrical flows on the surface rather than it all going on in the upper convection zone.

I keep seeing references to the density of the Suns atmosphere, but density is only a third of the equation. The temperature and depth of the atmosphere are relevant also.

Did you see anything that gave any specific numbers for atmopspheric pressure in the Photosphere itself other than the above? And do you have a link for thatdata you did share with me?

Thank you very much for your help. Thisis the closest thing I have seen to any hard numbers, I just want to plug them into the broader picture of how the Photosphere, Chromosphere and Corona interlink with each other. I am thinking that they are not so much layers as intermixed 'weather' features in the Suns atmosphere and react to the magnetic storms and maybe electrical ones too? Lots of iron vapor and carbon particulate, it would seem as these temps are lower than the melting point of carbon and way below its melting point. Iron doped carbon ash might be a significant 'weather' contribution to the Suns magnetic gyros and implies more electrical flows on the surface rather than it all going on in the upper convection zone.

Here is the link: The Sun's Photosphere: Definition & Temperature | Study.com You might find what you're looking for on NASA pages Layers of the Sun

Here is the link: The Sun's Photosphere: Definition & Temperature | Study.com You might find what you're looking for on NASA pages Layers of the Sun
"The pressure of the gases and plasma in the Sun also gradually increases, starting at 0.0068 bar and increasing to 0.16 bar, which is a 24-fold increase. "

Thanks, I did Google that, but the quote on the atmospheric pressure is not specifically stating that this is the Photosphere that they are talking about, though in context that seems the likely reference.

Thanks again for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

After six months of researching, Mason announced in a group meeting, "I never found it [rain in the helmet streamers] — I see it all the time in these other structures, but they’re not helmet streamers." Nicholeen Viall, a solar scientist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, and a coauthor of the paper published in the Astrophysical Journal Letters on April 5, 2019, who recalls the moment clearly, said, “And I said, ‘Wait…hold on. Where do you see it? I don’t think anybody’s ever seen that before!"

The structures Mason was referring to are called null-point topologies. These magnetic loops are very different in structure from the helmet streamers and measure just tens of thousands of miles high. “These loops were much smaller than what we were looking for,” said Dr. Spiro Antiochos, who is also a solar physicist at Goddard and a co-author of the paper. “So that tells you that the heating of the corona is much more localized than we were thinking.”

As for how the plasma rain forms? Mason believes the process is similar to that on Earth. On our planet, the water cycle begins when liquid water from the oceans, lakes and streams evaporates due to the sun's heat and rises into the atmosphere. The cooler air above causes the water vapor to condense into clouds, which eventually get heavy enough to be dragged down by gravity and fall as rain.

In the Sun's case, the electrically-charged plasma follows the magnetic loops emerging from the hot star's surface, similar to a rollercoaster on tracks. As it gets close to the endpoints, where the loop meets the Sun's surface, the thousand-degree gas gets superheated to over 1.8 million degrees Fahrenheit. This causes the plasma to expand and gather at the top of the loop. As it moves away from the sun's intense heat, the gas cools, condenses, and helped by the Sun's gravity, falls along the loop's sides as coronal rain!

I think you need to Google physical properties of the Sun and take it from there, the only thing I found was this:

Where is the Sun's Photosphere?

The Sun's outer layer is called the corona and is the source of solar flares. It is hard to define because the pressure is so low -- it's practically like still being in space. Underneath this is the 2000-km-deep chromosphere, and beneath that is the photosphere. The exact place the photosphere begins is difficult to measure, because the Sun doesn't have a clear surface -- the Sun's particles just get less and less dense gradually until you're in space.

The photosphere is believed to have a thickness of approximately 400 kilometers and is where the transparency of the Sun changes from 100% down to 0%. At a depth of 200 km into the photosphere we are still able to see 89% of the light that is emitted. At a depth of 300 km we see only 64%. And by 400 km we only receive 4% of the light being emitted.

Properties of the Sun's Photosphere
The outer part of the Sun's photosphere has a temperature of 4465 K, and this is usually the quoted figure when people talk about the 'surface temperature' of the Sun. As you move through the 400 kilometers, this temperature gradually increases until it reaches 7610 K at the innermost part of the photosphere.

Graph Showing How Temperature (bottom axis, solid line) and Density (top axis, dashed line) Varies with Position Relative to Top of Photosphere (left axis)
422px-sun_atmosphere_temperature_and_density_skylab.jpg

I hope this helps I enjoyed looking for it.

Actually the pressure on the sun is an unknown...………………..

So you feel you can make up anything

Forum List

Back