Question: Does speed limit start at sign?

zzzz

Just a regular American
Jul 24, 2010
Yountsville
Does the speed limit start at the sign or so many feet in front of the sign or when you see it? I've always sped up as soon as I saw the speed limit sign but I've always wondered if there was a specific distance or if it meant that the limit was at the sign.

I got a warning ticket for speeding. Told the cop "well, look there's the sign - 55mph".
He said speed limit starts at the sign.
I was lucky. My buddy and I were just getting ready to fire up a joint LOL.

I got a ticket because even though I was on the brakes well before the sign, I did not slow down enough before I passed the sign. I was 20 feet past the sign before my truck reached the required speed.

I always started to slow down when I saw the sign. I figured the limit was at the sign slowing down but 100 feet or so before a sign speeding up. I know, I am not being consistant but that's the way I drive.

Speed Limit Signs are similar Stop Signs. The posted speed is in effect once your front bumper pass the sign. In my case I told the cop that I had slowed enough before my back bumper passed the sign & he said I should have been slowed down by the time my front bumper passed the sign. This was a hard assed cop in a little speed trap town well known for ticketing for 1 MPH over the limit. Their signs went 60, 55, 45, 35, 25 and then back up 35, 45, 55, 60 all in a 2 mile stretch of highway. The loved busting un-aleart people at each speed limit sign for 1MPH over.

Last edited:
Have you ever marvelled at the fact that we all drive by the same rules of the road? At least we're suppoed to.

We took a trip to Michigan over the summer and I was waiting in a left turn lane for the green arrow. Well, the arrow didn't light, but there was a red blinking light above it. It took me a while to figure out that it was ok to turn left as long as there was no oncoming traffic.

Have you ever marvelled at the fact that we all drive by the same rules of the road? At least we're suppoed to.

We took a trip to Michigan over the summer and I was waiting in a left turn lane for the green arrow. Well, the arrow didn't light, but there was a red blinking light above it. It took me a while to figure out that it was ok to turn left as long as there was no oncoming traffic.

Rules vary state by state. Just like the right turn on red. Always have to look for the sign prohibiting it in Indiana but I see plenty of people just disregarding it and turning anyway. People just do not have any patience anymore, espaically when they drive. Thats why when you drive you have to be on guard for what the other fellow is going to do. More and more these days they are not looking at anything but the phone texting or reading a text or dialing a phone. Wonder what they would think if all cellphones just stopped working. Maybe they would notice the world around them.

Forum List

Back