Question About the President's Press Conference

krisy

Mar 30, 2004
Ohio
I didn't hear the whole thing,but did anyone catch the question by one of the reporters that seemed to really tick G.W. off? It was something about SS and rich people like Dick Cheney getting reduced checks?

Bush responded with something like "No need to get personal.we are on national t.v." He looked like he wanted to scatch the guy's eyes out.

krisy said:
I didn't hear the whole thing,but did anyone catch the question by one of the reporters that seemed to really tick G.W. off? It was something about SS and rich people like Dick Cheney getting reduced checks?

Bush responded with something like "No need to get personal.we are on national t.v." He looked like he wanted to scatch the guy's eyes out.

Didn't catch the guys name but you got the gist of the question--it was something to do with 'will it even effect guys like Cheney?'---it was pretty damn tacky but George handled better than I would have.

dilloduck said:
Didn't catch the guys name but you got the gist of the question--it was something to do with 'will it even effect guys like Cheney?'---it was pretty damn tacky but George handled better than I would have.

He did handle it well. I could tell he was angry tho,understandably. Those damn reporters think their God's gift to all of us and it's o.k. to be rude even to the President.

krisy said:
He did handle it well. I could tell he was angry tho,understandably. Those damn reporters think their God's gift to all of us and it's o.k. to be rude even to the President.

He brought his A game. He's still not great with words but thats' justa Texan sorta thingie.

CSPAN had a BBC show on last night in which a moderator and audience posed questions to the leaders of the three parties in the British election next week. It was an eye-opener! I understand the concern about speaking to the president respectfully, but we have a problem the Brits don't. Their head of state is Betty 2 and she is treated with the deference due to her role as the embodiment of the nation (and the head of the church!). Tony Blair is just another politician -albeit one who happens to be on top at the moment- and he has to defend and explain his policies to citizens who don't think him any better than they. Our president is both things: head of state and leader of the government. He is particularly fond of hiding behind his former role to avoid accountability for his decisions in the latter one. He preempted my favorite show and used the dignity of the White House just to plug his unpopular ideas on social security. I don't remember the Republicans wanting the press to bow and curtsey when Clinton was up there being grilled about phantom 20 year old scandals or his private life. Kinda makes you wonder if there is a double standard or anything...

mrsx said:
CSPAN had a BBC show on last night in which a moderator and audience posed questions to the leaders of the three parties in the British election next week. It was an eye-opener! I understand the concern about speaking to the president respectfully, but we have a problem the Brits don't. Their head of state is Betty 2 and she is treated with the deference due to her role as the embodiment of the nation (and the head of the church!). Tony Blair is just another politician -albeit one who happens to be on top at the moment- and he has to defend and explain his policies to citizens who don't think him any better than they. Our president is both things: head of state and leader of the government. He is particularly fond of hiding behind his former role to avoid accountability for his decisions in the latter one. He preempted my favorite show and used the dignity of the White House just to plug his unpopular ideas on social security. I don't remember the Republicans wanting the press to bow and curtsey when Clinton was up there being grilled about phantom 20 year old scandals or his private life. Kinda makes you wonder if there is a double standard or anything...

of course there is--didn't you know that---sorry bout your TV show

dilloduck said:
sorry bout your TV show

No shit - let's keep our priorities straight! Your taste in records seems to be warped along the same lines as mine, Dillo. Do you remember a comedy troupe called Firesign Theater?

They did a spoof of the old 1940s radio detective shows called, "Nick Danger - Third Eye". Just as the plot was coming to its climax, they had an FDR sound-alike interrupt the broadcast, announcing in somber and serious tones that the Japanese had just bombed Pearl Harbor, and that his irrevocable decision was to unconditionally surrender to the Japanese Empire. He closed by saying, "And now, I hope you'll join Eleanor and me for the thrilling conclusion of 'Nick Danger - Third Eye' ".

I guess you had to be there - and really, really high would have helped, too!

musicman said:
Don't screw with us right now, world - our SHOWS are on!

Amen! My 90210 rerun is on and I do not want to miss that! I mean, who does the leader of the free world think he is?

Some people...

Yurt said:
Amen! My 90210 rerun is on and I do not want to miss that! I mean, who does the leader of the free world think he is?

Some people...

You sure that show title is correct, isn't ''My Mother The Car" in syndication? :tinfoil:

Yurt said:

Some people...

I remember how all that fuss over 9/11 played hell with my Gary Condit coverage. The NERVE!

musicman said:
No shit - let's keep our priorities straight! Your taste in records seems to be warped along the same lines as mine, Dillo. Do you remember a comedy troupe called Firesign Theater?

They did a spoof of the old 1940s radio detective shows called, "Nick Danger - Third Eye". Just as the plot was coming to its climax, they had an FDR sound-alike interrupt the broadcast, announcing in somber and serious tones that the Japanese had just bombed Pearl Harbor, and that his irrevocable decision was to unconditionally surrender to the Japanese Empire. He closed by saying, "And now, I hope you'll join Eleanor and me for the thrilling conclusion of 'Nick Danger - Third Eye' ".

I guess you had to be there - and really, really high would have helped, too!

BRING BACK FIRESIGN !!!!!-------better than Saturday night live !!!!!

dilloduck said:
yuppers--and yes--velvet underground too------but firesign really made me :rotflmao:

LOL - total insanity!

So much of our culture is - by comparison to those times - bland, lame, sex-obsessed, homogenized, categorized, and just plain dumb. Too bad.

Oh, hell - I'm turning into my Dad!

Forum List

Back