Question about the Constitution

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
Hello.

I'm sure it's in there somewhere but can someone point me to the Article/Section that says it takes a MAJORITY to pass bills in Congress? Like it currently requires 51 Senators and 218 in the House.

Where in the Constitution does it say that you need a majority to pass a bill.

Hello.

I'm sure it's in there somewhere but can someone point me to the Article/Section that says it takes a MAJORITY to pass bills in Congress? Like it currently requires 51 Senators and 218 in the House.

It doesnt. each house can make up its own rules, and the only real way to make up a rule in a legislative body is to have more than half want to do it.

Majority rule in the house is by its own rules. This is why you have a filibuster in the senate, and the so called "60 vote" rule.

"Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a member."

Hello.

It doesnt. each house can make up its own rules, and the only real way to make up a rule in a legislative body is to have more than half want to do it.

Majority rule in the house is by its own rules. This is why you have a filibuster in the senate, and the so called "60 vote" rule.

"Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a member."

So, do you need a majority of "YEA" votes to pass a bill or a plurality.

Thanks for the response, BTW.

Hello.

You would need to get the rules for each house, I believe that each house requires a certain number of members present before a vote can take place.

You would need to get the rules for each house, I believe that each house requires a certain number of members present before a vote can take place.

Yes, there is a quorum (sp?) needed. What I'm interested in is that if the quorum is 70, could a bill pass with 36 votes for example.

If so, the founders overlooked a pretty big thing, I think.

it depends on the bill being presented, some require a majority vote of a certain number, others can be voted on with any majority passing the bill.

it depends on the bill being presented, some require a majority vote of a certain number, others can be voted on with any majority passing the bill.

Well a majority means over 50% such as 51% v. 49%
A plurality means the most of what is there...34% v. 33% v. 33%

When a bill is introduced for a vote, there is two choices (usually), YEA and NAY so that would result in a majority.

The question is that if the quorum is 70 senators for example, will 36 approve or defeat the bill?

Hello.

You have this a little convoluted. The Senate does not require 60 votes to pass a bill, just 51, if everyone is present. The 60 is necessary to end debate. The reason why it seems like it takes 60 is that filibusters are often threatened when that figure isn't met, hence gridlock in Congress.

Personally, I think it should take 2/3 of both houses to pass any legislation given how much effect the federal government can have on the entire country. This would force both sides to work together and compromise more in order to get anything done.

Great Stuff Guys...thanks. I'm shocked that the Constitution is silent on this. Obama voted "present" a number of times if I recall. What if of the 100, 41 vote yea, 40 vote Nay, and 19 vote "present". Does the measure carry?

Great Stuff Guys...thanks. I'm shocked that the Constitution is silent on this. Obama voted "present" a number of times if I recall. What if of the 100, 41 vote yea, 40 vote Nay, and 19 vote "present". Does the measure carry?

He voted 'present' 129 times while a state senator in Illinois.

"It’s very rare for a senator to vote 'present,' " said U.S. Senate historian Donald A. Ritchie. "That’s usually only if they are somehow personally involved in something."
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...says-obama-voted-present-us-senate-very-ofte/

There were and are a few errors in the Constitution. It was not a perfect document when finished and immediatly required a couple of amendments. But then again the Constitution was only a framework of government not a detailed operating plan. The framers probably expected the legislature to fill in a lot of the details, and it has. One of the minor flaws is found in Article IV, Section 2, clause 2. The word "shall" has been interpreted to mean "may."

Forum List

Back