Question about severe back pain

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
So I've never really had any abnormal back pain beyond just aches and pains from work but this morning I woke up and the pain is unreal whenever I move. Especially when I try to sit, stand or bend over.

Is it possible to simply throw it out by sleeping in a bad position like can happen with your neck? And if so will it eventually return to normal sometime today?

Not sure if I should be concerned since I've never experienced this before.

Try putting a heating pad on it.
If it's a pulled muscle it will help.
If it's a pinched nerve or something like that, try ice.
If heat or ice doesn't help, it's something else. Then go to the Dr.

So I've never really had any abnormal back pain beyond just aches and pains from work but this morning I woke up and the pain is unreal whenever I move. Especially when I try to sit, stand or bend over.

Is it possible to simply throw it out by sleeping in a bad position like can happen with your neck? And if so will it eventually return to normal sometime today?

If the pain is in the back it is likely a muscle pain. Use ICE, not heat and stretch by bringing both knees to your chest while on your back several times a day and take NSAIDs. Freeze hand towel in a plastic bag, you might get almost immediate relief.

If the pain is in your legs, usually one leg, it might be a serious problem. See a Doctor and make sure you get more than an X-Ray, Disc Material pushing on the Sciatic Nerve can't bee seen on an X-Ray.

Between the shoulder blades or above your ass crack ? If either one of those that includes pain radiating forward to your abdomen ? Haul your ass to the ER.
Lower. Check for abdominal aortic aneurysm.
Up higher. Pancreas.
No pain travelling forward ? A fifth of Jack and a few bong hits.

If you notice any weakness or numbness in either leg, it's likely a pinched nerve from a disk out of place. Try hanging your weight from something about chest high. Crutches would work... If that gives you relief, I'd be checking the yellow pages for a Chiropractor.

Good point. Kidney stone.
Or reduced urination?
Is it sort of on one side?

And if Your nuts start aching it is pretty much for sure kidney stones.

Last edited:
Wry wrote: See a Doctor and make sure you get more than an X-Ray, Disc Material pushing on the Sciatic Nerve can't bee seen on an X-Ray.

Correct, it takes an MRI for that...

... don't say how old ya are, but if in the late 40's to early 60's it could be deteriorating vertebrae or disks...

... get to the doctor - soon.

If the pain is in the back it is likely a muscle pain. Use ICE, not heat and stretch by bringing both knees to your chest while on your back several times a day and take NSAIDs. Freeze hand towel in a plastic bag, you might get almost immediate relief.

If the pain is in your legs, usually one leg, it might be a serious problem. See a Doctor and make sure you get more than an X-Ray, Disc Material pushing on the Sciatic Nerve can't bee seen on an X-Ray.

I totally agree with Wry on this one.... get it looked at if it persists.

I have dis problems and ya dont want to let it get out of hand.

Good luck my friend... back pain sucks!

Did you take anything for it? Try Advil if you can tolerate it. 3, 3 times a day. I'm not a doc but I have had pain before.

If you have a bit of a pot belly I have a tip that might work getting the back in alignment. Lay a pillow or two down on your bed and lie down with the lower part of your stomach on the pillows. Then try to relax and let your hips naturally fall down towards the bed. I stumbled upon this method when I had a damaged disc and for a while couldn't move for a few months. The pain was through the roof.

If you have serious disc damage DO NOT GO TO A CHIROPRACTOR!!! They can cause even more serious damage to what is there already. My body healed but it took several weeks doing the above sleeping method.

I would go and get an x-ray AND an MRI before taking ANYONES advice on how to approach your injury.

It's lower back with no radiating pain. Thanks for the tips

I've thrown my back out numerous times and all of the occasions were the same except the most recent. All of the previous times, I had strained a muscle and in effect got a cramp and heat worked great to loosen it up and then correct it.

The most recent time, I strained a ligament or tendon which swelled up and pressed against a vertebrae. Heat made it worse. Ice packs helped big time. Stretching is what ultimately solved it though.

I tried to find the web site for you but could not. Stretching in the best case for me is a top to bottom regimen.

1. Standing up, relax your chin to your chest. You should feel a pull down the center of your back. Turn your head left and allow your head to fall that way stretching the shoulder muscles then right and do the same again. Repeat this.
2. Do shoulder rolls forward and backward. The article said as many up to 10 as is comfortable.
3. Stretch your sides by reaching up and over head pointing the finger of your right hand left over your head then point the fingers of your left hand right. Hold each stretch for a 10 count.
4. Keeping your leg straight, place your heel on a raised object. In the last event for me, that object was the fist step of a kitchen stool about the height of a shoe box. Hold it for a ten count on each leg.
5. Lay on your back with your legs bent up. Lace your fingers around your knee and pull one leg toward your chest and hold for a ten count. Do the same with the other leg.

All of these stretches will help a particular set of muscles for you and you'll feel where the stretch is happening.

Your back is a complex web of muscles, tendons, ligaments and these all act on the vertebrae which in turn can really affect your spinal cord.

I have done my stretching religiously for two years and have not had a reoccurrence. It was bad enough so i never want to go through that again. It was 4 weeks before I could move naturally again.

Good luck. Seeing a doctor will get you some muscle relaxers and these are often helpful to correct the event. The stretching will protect you into the future.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back