Question about Sea Turtles.

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
So I just watched a story about people taking Sea turtle eggs from Florida's gulf Beaches, and transporting them to the Atlantic side where they will be Buried so they can hatch and enter the Atlantic.

My question is this. Don't sea turtles return to the same beach they were born at every year to spawn. If so isnt it going to royally fuck them up to end up in the Atlantic? Are they going to successfully spawn next year? Or will they be to disorientated to do it?

Seems like a short sighted attempt to help that might be hurting IMO.

They are at least trying to give them a chance and it is better then doing nothing. I agree though that the migration homing beacon is going to be a problem. I do think they should be released half into the gulf and half into the Atlantic.

They are at least trying to give them a chance and it is better then doing nothing. I agree though that the migration homing beacon is going to be a problem. I do think they should be released half into the gulf and half into the Atlantic.

Yeah I mean the story said if left in the gulf there was a chance they could die. Not surely they will. So the question is how much of a chance is there they are going to die if they hatch on the wrong beach.

Thinking more about it though I think maybe it wont matter. Were talking about eggs here. Wont they simply home in on the new Atlantic beach when they go to spawn since they were born there, or do they use some deep six sense to return to the same beach mommy was born on.

I am thinking the first one so my post is meaningless.

They'll be fine. If you ever visit Grand Cayman, be sure to visit the sea turtle farm. There they are collecting endangered Sea Turtle eggs, hatching them inside an enclosed compound in an artificial beach area, growing them in tanks inside the same compound until they are big enough to be unappetizing to most predators, and then turn them loose. They return to natural beaches where they are released to lay their eggs with no problems.

If you visit the turtle farm though, be careful not to dunk your expensive digital camera in the turtle tank. Hubby did that. Doesn't do a camera any good at all.

Yeah I mean the story said if left in the gulf there was a chance they could die. Not surely they will. So the question is how much of a chance is there they are going to die if they hatch on the wrong beach.

Thinking more about it though I think maybe it wont matter. Were talking about eggs here. Wont they simply home in on the new Atlantic beach when they go to spawn since they were born there, or do they use some deep six sense to return to the same beach mommy was born on.

I am thinking the first one so my post is meaningless.

I am unsure about the homing/spawning mechanism. I do know that the vast majority of baby turtles don't make it in the first place. Maybe they should try and raise them up a year or so and then release them. *shrugs* I don't know what the best answer is.

I would think that the gulf stream would be the biggest problem. Swimming back around to the gulf would mean going against the current, and its a damn strong current.

Watching them hatch and heading to the water is always something Ive wanted to do :) so anything the try and help them along I am all for.

According to the folks at the turtle farm, they have turtle watchers watching the beach at all times during spawning season. And when Mama turtle lays her eggs and buries them they wait until she leaves them--she will be done with them at that point and doesn't assume any motherly duties--and they go get the eggs and rebury them at the farm. That way they have a 50 to 75% survival rate for the baby turtles where maybe 2 or 3 out of 75 to 100 eggs or more will survive if left in the wild.

According to the folks working with the turtles it doesn't matter where they were hatched. The turtles will return to the point where they were released.

So I just watched a story about people taking Sea turtle eggs from Florida's gulf Beaches, and transporting them to the Atlantic side where they will be Buried so they can hatch and enter the Atlantic.

My question is this. Don't sea turtles return to the same beach they were born at every year to spawn. If so isnt it going to royally fuck them up to end up in the Atlantic? Are they going to successfully spawn next year? Or will they be to disorientated to do it?

um, where will they be "born" now?

they will return to the beach they were born at
i see no problem there

um, where will they be "born" now?

they will return to the beach they were born at
i see no problem there

yeah not sure what I was thinking at first. Clearly they will just home in on the new birth beach.

They'll be born on the Atlantic coast. If they are "imprinted" to return to where they were layed by the time they are adults the Gulf may be cleaned up...it takes decades for them to reach sexual maturity and return to shore to spawn.

Last edited by a moderator:

They'll be born on the Atlantic coast. If they are "imprinted" to return to where they were layed by the time they are adults the Gulf may be cleaned up.

I usually return to the spot where I got laid too.

They'll be born on the Atlantic coast. If they are "imprinted" to return to where they were layed by the time they are adults the Gulf may be cleaned up.

I usually return to the spot where I got laid too.
:lol: I was careful to misspell that word.

I heard about this, too.

The guy in charge of this operation openly admitted that they DID NOT KNOW.

They're risking it because the alternative is to do nothing knowing that the beach they'd hatch from otherwise is going to be polluted with oil.

Forum List

Back