Question about previous owners

Should the administrators put up a timeline/bio of USMB?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The second owner is the one that was repressive and almost destroyed this board in 2 weeks.

I'm just curious...what could someone do to almost destroy a message board in 2 weeks? I can't even imagine.

This was prompted by Shogun's suggestion on another thread. This board has changed so many owners so many times and gone through regimes that were more oppressive than the 3rd Reich to ones like the one we have now were there really is free speech and privacy. So it would be cool to see a short synopsis somewhere on the board itself as a feature of the board.

I think they should. Isn't that why they make the big bucks?

Some went 'with' Jim, some went 'with' the times. Gunny, you did both. To get a feel of Merlin1047, check out this:

US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum - Search Results

It's incomplete because of culling and the different owners, but there's a 'touch.'

Close. I stayed here until the issue of staff reading PMs came up. I didn't like the answers so I left. When Scott bought the board, he came over to DP and Jim let his do his selljob and I came back to give it a chance. When I got into it with a couple of the more moronic posters at DP who didn't know where to draw the line pushing people and Jim wouldn't reign them in, I quit posting there.

I have no problem with Jim. As I stated, he was a successful owner here, and at the time I quit posting at DP, it was successful. We just don't do things the same way.

I'll say here and now, no pm's were read from Gregg or any staff at that time. We chose not to respond to the accusations because of what had been brought up previously. Gregg's choice to give a rationale, was not mine, but was within his purview as owner.

I was caught inbetween a whole bunch of folks I liked, from about 5 directions. Spidey is trying to start something here, that is best left alone.

i wondered about the ribbon with merlin on it...i figured if i stayed long enough...someone would tell me why and what it was....nice way to remember someone...i read the memorial thread...

i dont care who ruled in the past etc...or which mods abused what...i prefer to live in the here and now

Maybe we should have a truth and reconciliation commission as well. Are there any active posters on here who used to be active members of one of the older, repressive regimes?

You have your history wrong, ST, and as I suspected, you want to do some namecalling.

The fact is, Jim was successful as owner of this board, like him or his politics or not. The second owner is the one that was repressive and almost destroyed this board in 2 weeks. After he sold the board to the third owner, he just left me alone with it. The leadership and staff have been constant since that time. Scott (the third owner) held a vote/poll and I was chose as a moderator by the members to replace Avatar. When he bumped me to admin since he was never on the board, I chose jillian as a mod and we have been the two constants on the staff since that time.

Nothing has changed through the last 4 owners except the technical support and advertising and adding moderators as the number of members and posts have increased.

Only a few of us are left from when Jim owned the board. Most went with him.

The 2nd owner wasn't the one who booted me because OCA told him to.

I understand that. You are entitled to your opinion. You're asking about the board, not the history of ST on the board.

If you wish to discuss another board's staff, you need to go to that board and do it. That kind of stuff is pointless, and starts board wars.

What I will discuss is this board now. That is what matters. I have yet to boot anyone because someone asks me to, and I don't allow partisan decisions on THIS board. If an asshole gets booted for being a disruptive asshole and/or repeated violations of the few rules we have, it's for THAT reason alone, and not their politics. I have probably banned as many so-called conservatives as I have so-called liberals, and again, not for their politics.

That should be your concern. What happens here now. What happened 2-3 years ago is water under the bridge.

The second owner is the one that was repressive and almost destroyed this board in 2 weeks.

I'm just curious...what could someone do to almost destroy a message board in 2 weeks? I can't even imagine.

Not pay attention to long-time members nor even ask their input and begin making arbitrary changes just because you feel like it. It's a marriage. There are no members without a board, there is no board without members. There's a kind of chemistry to a board and if you mess with it too much without cause, you can destroy it. People by and large don't like change.

Some went 'with' Jim, some went 'with' the times. Gunny, you did both. To get a feel of Merlin1047, check out this:

US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum - Search Results

It's incomplete because of culling and the different owners, but there's a 'touch.'

Close. I stayed here until the issue of staff reading PMs came up. I didn't like the answers so I left. When Scott bought the board, he came over to DP and Jim let his do his selljob and I came back to give it a chance. When I got into it with a couple of the more moronic posters at DP who didn't know where to draw the line pushing people and Jim wouldn't reign them in, I quit posting there.

I have no problem with Jim. As I stated, he was a successful owner here, and at the time I quit posting at DP, it was successful. We just don't do things the same way.

I'll say here and now, no pm's were read from Gregg or any staff at that time. We chose not to respond to the accusations because of what had been brought up previously. Gregg's choice to give a rationale, was not mine, but was within his purview as owner.

I was caught inbetween a whole bunch of folks I liked, from about 5 directions. Spidey is trying to start something here, that is best left alone.

There's nothing to start. If he has an issue with Jim or any of his staff, he can take it up with them on Jim's board where it belongs. I have not allowed USMB to be a sounding board for disaffected DP members nor am I about to start.

Not pay attention to long-time members nor even ask their input and begin making arbitrary changes just because you feel like it. It's a marriage. There are no members without a board, there is no board without members. There's a kind of chemistry to a board and if you mess with it too much without cause, you can destroy it. People by and large don't like change.

yep...that and too much drama.....which is why i left......i watched from a far as gunny and said rebuilt this place....and recently decided to re-engage because of what they achieved......

There's nothing to start. If he has an issue with Jim or any of his staff, he can take it up with them on Jim's board where it belongs. I have not allowed USMB to be a sounding board for disaffected DP members nor am I about to start.

I agree, that should have been the answer from the get go. In any case, way to old and Spidey is trying to cause trouble and some fell into it. Bad timing with all the newbies.

With that said, if EZ on top of KK is the new mods, :beer: two great posters and reasonable people from less than right.

came in and changed everything......people don't like change.....

"change may be constant but we can still gripe about it" calvin to hobbs

Point taken. However, there's a difference between a tweak here and there and wholesale change. When I try something new, I do it one thing at a time and look at the reaction and see how it works. If it doesn't, I have no problem saying so and changing it back.

But you don't have to log on here every day and wonder what you're going find, at least format-wise. I can't speak for what members post.:lol:

days.jpg

When it comes to soaps, I'm more of a Dark Shadows fan:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk9XIq8Ud2I]YouTube - Dark Shadows - Barnabas & Burke.[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back