Question about ACA fines/coverage dates

ArcherBull

Rookie
Nov 3, 2014
So, we were told that you had to enroll in a plan in March of this year if you weren't already covered, or risk facing fines. At the time, I was engaged and my fiance did not have coverage, but I did. We ran the numbers and figured the fine, even at a full 1% of his income, would be less money than coverage would be for the few months before we married. We married in August and now he has coverage through my employer.

At the time, I was thinking we'd still pay a fine for the gap in coverage. I figured they checked this by your social security number (I tried to ask this question to several of the people I talked to over the phone when we were looking into marketplace health care options, but nobody had a clear answer). However, now I've heard you just have to prove you have coverage when your tax return is actually filed in 2015?? If that was the case we may avoid fines altogether.

I'm confused by this and wanted to know if anyone had sources for this information. Obviously we'll be okay either way and will end up with a return either way, I'm just really curious. This leads me to a ton of other questions as well, for instance my employer has a 3 month waiting period after you start working before health insurance coverage begins, but once you quit you are only covered through the end of the month. Assuming this is a likely scenario with many employers, lots of people will experience gaps of 2-3 months when they change jobs (even without a gap in employment, just due to the coverage delay). I'm wondering if this will lead to fines as well? Will we be required to purchase insurance from the marketplace for only a couple months in order to avoid fines in a situation like this?

Anyway, any info you have (preferably with a source included) is appreciated.

Forum List

Back