Quebec Reject Sharia'!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Who'd a thought?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050526.wsharia0526/EmailBNStory/National/

Quebec rejects sharia for legal system
Thursday, May 26, 2005
Updated at 1:21 PM EDT

Canadian Press

Quebec — Quebec has rejected the use of Islamic tribunals, which can be used to settle family disputes, in the province.

In a unanimous vote Thursday, the Quebec legislature passed a motion against allowing sharia to be used in the legal system.

“The application of sharia in Canada is part of a strategy to isolate the Muslim community, so it will submit to an archaic vision of Islam,” Fatima Houda-Pepin, a Liberal member of the legislature, said as she introduced the motion against use of the Islamic law.

“These demands are being pushed by groups in the minority that are using the Charter of Rights to attack the foundation of our democratic institutions.”

The debate over sharia surfaced in Canada two years ago when a Muslim group in Ontario proposed the arbitration of family disputes according to Islamic law.

That's good news, although not surprising to see in Quebec. Sharia isn't french nor does it promote french language and culture as is the long standing custom of french assimilation.

I liked Fatima Houda-Pepin's comments and would hope that had some influence on the vote, but lets get real, there will be no "blending" of other cultural legal systems with respect to Quebec law.

well in spite of assimilation french is still losing ground. year by year the percentage who use french at home or at work is dropping.

Wolfe said:
well in spite of assimilation french is still losing ground. year by year the percentage who use french at home or at work is dropping.

I will have to take your word for it, but that's something I would never have suspected in a million years. I don't think I need to explain why do I?

Forum List

Back