Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Paralyzed Indiana Man Chooses to End Life Support

My heart breaks for his family.

According to his sister Jenny Schultz, “We just asked him, ‘Do you want this?’ And he shook his head emphatically no.” Doctors repeatedly asked him the same question and were given the same response. So they removed his breathing tube and he died five hours later.

Bowers, just married in August, leaves behind his pregnant wife Abbey, stepson Greg Shively, and "Baby Bowers." The Associated Press reports that he had previously spoken with his wife about his desire to avoid life in a wheelchair should something ever happen.

And while his sister acknowledges that others might disagree with his decision, she knows it's what he wanted. "No outcome was ever going to be the one that we really want," she said. "But I felt that he did it on his terms in the end."

Last edited:
I am the main source of income for my family. And yes even put in a hospital that income would be there. As much as I want to not be alive I have made a commitment to support my family. I would never commit what is essentially suicide.

My hospital bills would be taken care of and my income would still flow. So no matter how shitty my life might be I would not end it that way.

According to his sister Jenny Schultz, “We just asked him, ‘Do you want this?’ And he shook his head emphatically no.” Doctors repeatedly asked him the same question and were given the same response. So they removed his breathing tube and he died five hours later.

Bowers, just married in August, leaves behind his pregnant wife Abbey, stepson Greg Shively, and "Baby Bowers." The Associated Press reports that he had previously spoken with his wife about his desire to avoid life in a wheelchair should something ever happen.

And while his sister acknowledges that others might disagree with his decision, she knows it's what he wanted. "No outcome was ever going to be the one that we really want," she said. "But I felt that he did it on his terms in the end."

The only reason your heart breaks is that his family does not die too.
He was weak, and you celebrate it. Parasite!

Crocodile tears.

really? Are you calling boop a parasite in the CDZ?

tysk.

"So they removed his breathing tube and he died five hours later"

5 hours?

How cruel, couldn't they just shoot him?

I'm worth more dead than alive.

Some days I wish I were dead. Other days, life is the tits.

Be patient and take the roller-coaster ride known as life.

Life is... the shit. No matter how perfunctory you become.

Is anybody going to answer the question? Just curious.

Far as I can see, you have posited no question.

In his shoes, I would do the same: Yes, no or don't know.

Thank you. Myself? No.

But a friend of mine did choose his own death under similar circumstances. He crashed his motorcycle several years ago. My brother went to visit him in THE hospital. Pete tried to rip the respirator hose from his own throat. He was restrained, and kept hooked up. He died slow. Pete was a rebel, but he was nice to me when I was a kid. He had a wife and kid and all that.

My life is the last thing I have. I wouldn't take it from myself.

I have met very few people who I consider have a life experience that would give them the perspective to comment on another human's quality of life/end of life decision, and all of them refuse to judge. I suspect that no one with the required life experience would feel capable of such judgment.

That said, emergency room staff and others who deal with situations considerably grimmer than the Indiana man sometimes have "last friend" understandings. If you are a party to one, you never EVER talk about it with anyone other than the other party.

There are family members and close friends of mine who have endured medical challenges more daunting than the gentleman in the news article who have chosen to endure and find their own meaning for continued life. I have been honored to know several who have looked into that dark place and found a courage to meet the despair. In my heart I know that beyond the courage there must be an end to each struggle, and that for each of us and everyone we care about, there is a point we must let go. The end of wisdom is knowing when that is.

I remain torn, but leaning toward yes. I would do the same.

In his shoes, at his age with his life? I think I would have at least tried to stay for the birth, and that may have given me the desire to stay put. But at my age, in my situation? it is more likely I would let go.

One of the big problems with answering such a question is that we may think we know the answer, but until we are actually faced with having to make that choice, we really do not know what we would do. Some people when faced with such a decision would easily choose death while others who said not to take extraordinary measures would fight to the end once placed in that situation.

The only reason your heart breaks is that his family does not die too.

He was NOT weak. He was very brave to leave this life after making such a decision. You forget that he was unable to move, and was reliant on a machine to keep him alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back