Quadraplegic Illegal Returned To Mexico Against His Will

Originally posted by Angelhair
But of course - when all else fails, blame the 'evil' USA!!!! Ridiculous.

WORK ON YOUR READING COMPREHENSION, PLEASE!!!!

I didn't blame America, I just said:

THOSE WHO DEMAND ECONOMIC PROSPERITY FROM MEXICO SHOULD BE THE FIRST ONES TO SET A GOOD EXAMPLE AND BRING IT TO THE COUNTRIES UNDER THEIR CONTROL (Afghanistan and Iraq in America's case).

You cannot go around preaching the exact same thing you are unable to deliver yourself.

[/QUOTFor almost four months, doctors and nurses at Advocate Christ Medical Center cared for the young Mexican laborer who had fallen from a roof and lost the ability to speak, breathe or move most parts of his body.

But Quelino Ojeda Jimenez was in the U.S. illegally, and just before Christmas he was taken from the Oak Lawn hospital, loaded on an air ambulance and flown to Oaxaca, capital of the Mexican state where he was born.

His abrupt departure, which Ojeda says was undertaken without his consent, outraged a group of Mexicans living in Chicago who had rallied to his aid, tending to him in the hospital and encouraging him not to give up.

Florinda Marcial, one of his frequent caregivers, said she pleaded with authorities to stop as Ojeda was rolled away on a gurney, dressed in a hospital gown, crying. Authorities at the Mexican Consulate in Chicago also said they tried to intervene.

"They threw him out like he was a piece of garbage," said Horacio Esparza, a disability rights advocate who runs the Progress Center for Independent Living in Forest Park.

Now, the 20-year-old man is in a Mexican hospital that is so resource-poor that it is reusing filters for the breathing machine needed to keep him alive. After an investigation completed late last week, Advocate Health Care — the largest hospital network in Illinois — acknowledged it never obtained Ojeda's permission to transfer him to Mexico.

Undocumented quadriplegic returned to Mexico from Chicago area - chicagotribune.com

Please read the linked article if you have time; I think the tone of it is worth discussing.

My reaction is, this should not have happened. The man was almost certainly working without legally-required safety equipment and the subcontractor who hired him should not have found it so easy to evade its workers' compensation obligations.

But it did happen. If the injured man has any legal remedies here, by all means I hope he pursues them. However, he was not here legally, his condition was stable and he was moved in a medically safe fashion. I think returning him to Mexico was not only permissible, it was obligatory.

What say you? Should a serious injury in the US result in some sort of ad hoc green card for the patient?

I got two words.

Fuck him.

This seems to be a case of hospitals being forced to do what ICE should have done before the man was hurt.

They stabilized him, flew him back by medivac helo. This wasn't callous, just sending him back where the state has proper jurisdiction.

Funny how so many of those that think he should have been allowed to stay, complain about the lack of resources for our own poor.

Amazes me, the lengths many go to to justify the extension of rights and benefits belonging to American citizens to illegal aliens.

This is part of why I respect you as a liberal Madeline. You get this.

Originally posted by Big Fitz
This is part of why I respect you as a liberal Madeline. You get this.

Madeline is OK in my book too. I agree with 99% of what she says. The right to deport illegals, the adverse effects their presence cause in the US, etc, etc...

I just sense in her posts a veiled, hidden hostility towards Mexico that is totally unwarranted. The responsibilty for solving the problem of illegal aliens in America lies squarely on the US government.

Madeline has a PHd on the suffering of ethnic minorities in the USA. She's constantly creating threads about the trials of native and african americans.

So let's teach Madeline a bit about the History of Mexico. Let's teach her how this country was victimised by a bunch of anglo traitors and illegal americans who joined forces to perpetrate the second biggest landgrab in the history of the American Continent.

Let's teach her that Mexico was the victim of a brutal war of aggression waged by the US army that cost that country half of its territory.

Let's teach her that if America could fulfill her dream of becoming a continental country that dream was built on the blood and suffering of Mexico.

Maybe then she will drop her ignorant, childish, callous portrayal of Mexico as a nation that causes harm to the USA and will see that from a historical perspective Mexico was the first one to be victimised.

Last edited:
What angers me about this story is the fact he was working in construction and the Latinos in the story have no problem with this. I live in Chicago and I have a lot of blue collar carpenter and construction worker friends that have had a lot of trouble finding jobs and work! Yet an illegal alien found employment no problem. I am sure he isn't the only illegal taking a high paying construction job from American citizen in need.

I feel for the guy I really do. I must be horendous to lose control of your body. But as the story pointed out the hospital already gave the kid $650K worth of carry and will probably go well into the millions. The Mexican Government won't do anything but complain. But our hospitals are already go bankrupt and illegal aliens are the prime cause of it.

I have sympathy for this and my kneejerk reaction is to let him stay, but then again what he is doing. (1) Taking a high paying job from an American construction worker, when that field has been gutted, (2) Costing a hospital (one my family goes to) a TON of money that will get pushed onto me and the other patients there, (3) No doubt the money he makes is not getting spent in America and is getting sent home and (4) Lastly, this encourages others to break our system!

Make sure you apply the law to the person who hired him.
Maybe the person who hired him did not know he was illegal??

There's a federal law says employers must verify eligibility before hiring, LilOlLady. Not knowing is not a defense unless this man used believable forged or stolen documents.

Forged and stolen documents are quite plentiful - and a staple of the underground economy in the U.S.

There's a federal law says employers must verify eligibility before hiring, LilOlLady. Not knowing is not a defense unless this man used believable forged or stolen documents.

Forged and stolen documents are quite plentiful - and a staple of the underground economy in the U.S.

Yes, I know. Arizona has a fairly new state law calling for E-Verify, where an employer would have to check with INS before hiring, but the federal government is not cooperating and I am fairly sure the AG is suing to have the law declared unconstitutional.

Your tax dollars at work, eh?

Criminals that injure themselves commiting a crime can't hold anyone responsible, but themselves.

This group that's crying for him should be thanking us for caring for him as long as we did. Legally speaking we had no obligation to do anything for him. Fortunalty we are a far more moral country than Mexico.

The person that employed him should face the normal fines, and be serioulsy investigated to find out if he's being careless or if this was just bad luck.

Criminals that injure themselves commiting a crime can't hold anyone responsible, but themselves.

This group that's crying for him should be thanking us for caring for him as long as we did. Legally speaking we had no obligation to do anything for him. Fortunalty we are a far more moral country than Mexico.

The person that employed him should face the normal fines, and be serioulsy investigated to find out if he's being careless or if this was just bad luck.

I disagree in part, Two Thumbs. One reason illegal immigration flourishes is employers avoid the cost of complying with workplace safety laws, endanger their employees and then evade penalties and prosecution for doing so because the victims are not citizens. How much would the harness a roofer should have cost? These shitheels are risking men's lives to make a fiver or so more a day per worker? I find that depraved.

If that doesn't stop, their traitorous and evil acts will sink us.

Make sure you apply the law to the person who hired him.

Bullshit, Meg Whitman hired her "Illegal" from an employment agency, the "illegal" stole ID, fraudulently signed papers that verified her "legality" and still Mrs. Whitman paid the political price. Is the illegal still in this country? Yes she is? Is she employed somewhere? I bet she is.

José;3294755 said:
Originally posted by Angelhair
But of course - when all else fails, blame the 'evil' USA!!!! Ridiculous.

WORK ON YOUR READING COMPREHENSION, PLEASE!!!!

I didn't blame America, I just said:

THOSE WHO DEMAND ECONOMIC PROSPERITY FROM MEXICO SHOULD BE THE FIRST ONES TO SET A GOOD EXAMPLE AND BRING IT TO THE COUNTRIES UNDER THEIR CONTROL (Afghanistan and Iraq in America's case).

You cannot go around preaching the exact same thing you are unable to deliver yourself.

You mean like the way Germany and Japan prospered after the US bombed them down to the ground?

I disagree in part, Two Thumbs. One reason illegal immigration flourishes is employers avoid the cost of complying with workplace safety laws, endanger their employees and then evade penalties and prosecution for doing so because the victims are not citizens. How much would the harness a roofer should have cost? These shitheels are risking men's lives to make a fiver or so more a day per worker? I find that depraved.

When a Tyson chicken meatpacking plant in Austin, MN (IIRC) was raided by ICE, over 200 jobs were suddenly vacant because the illegals working them at sub standard wages were taken away and deported with their families.

The company moaned that they'd never find anyone to fill jobs "that Americans won't do". The next day when they opened the HR office for hiring, they had 1000 applicants.

If you pay a fair wage, Americans will line up around the block for the job. If you wish to engage in pseudo slavery, which is what hiring illegals all but amounts to, you should be up on criminal charges.

You know Madeline, Penicillin takes care of a case of the clap that severe.

Thanks though. ;)

I see what you are saying

What I'm saying is that he should not have been there. If he thought it was unsafe, he needed to stop. that doesn't excuse the empoyer. Each man knew the risks, one lost big time, the other is probably getting remmed right now.

Keep in mind, we have vast safety rules. Following them all is not just costly, but very very hard to do.

Real life;

I was stationed on a ship. Someone spilled a bucket of grease while we had OSHA abaord. No fine for dropping the bucket, but while the SA was cleaning it up, he set one of the soaked towels in a buckett. The OSHA inspector asked him if he was done with the rag, to which the SA said yes. That cost us $275,000. Why? B/c waste oil was not properly stowed.

well actually, the tax payer paid. The ship has no actual money of it's own.

Forum List

Back