Q1 GDP Revised To 2.2%, Misses Across The Board

HELLO!!!

Try reading your own graph.

The line represents the FINAL GDPNow Forecast. That is the one they make about 2 weeks before the 1/4 ends.

That is NOT the one they make when the 1/4 begins.

Here is how the GDPNow progressed in 2018 Q1

GDP-Now-Mar-2018.jpg

You see where it started? Do you see where it ended?

Your precious graph above is referring to where it ENDED.

Got it now?

Here is some free advice...you do not understand what you are talking about...AT ALL. Quit before you continue to make yourself look foolish on this.
/----/ First of all it's a forecast from the Fed Reserve NOT Breitbart. And you call me a moron. BWHAHAHAHAHAHA And their chart shows they are close to the final numbers. Now go have a nice cry.
View attachment 196345

Holy shit are you dumb...I never said it was from Breitbart. I posted it from their site...how can I not know it is from them...DUH?
But your article you quoted above IS from Breitbart. That is why I mentioned Breitbart.

Hello? Can you not read?

Your graph refers to the FINAL ESTIMATE OF THE ATLANTA FED. That is not until the quarter is almost over. It is NOT referring to their initial quote...which you used above.

Holy shit are you stupid (apparently).
/——/ Go back to your post #5 and stop lashing out: “Stop getting your economic information from the MSM/Breitbart...they are CLUELESS.” You may now apologize.
You idiot...I was referring to the website the article was from. Not the data source the article used. That is why I said 'MSM/Breitbart'...DUH.

The point is that MSM/Breitbart have not a clue how to interpret economic data...like the GDPNow.
Got it now?

So have you learned yet - you economic ignoramus - that your first post in this thread has NOTHING to do with a forecast for the entire Q2 AND that the graph you posted has NOTHING to do with the present GDPNow statistic?

You probably have no idea what I am even talking about.

Run along you macroeconomic moron...you are WAY over your head here.
/——/ Ypu told me to “Stop getting your economic information from the MSM/Breitbart...they are CLUELESS.” then you deny posting it then you claim you meant something else. What a blithering idiot. Bwhahahaha Bwhahahaha

OH JEEZ!!! You posted an article from Breitbart. That means you got your information from Breitbart...DUH!!!

If you had posted directly from the GDPNow website...I would not have said that.

For God's sake's man...think. Obviously Breitbart did not put out the stats...but they reported them like they are a big deal...which they are not.

THAT is my point...that Breitbart AND the MSM (both left and right-leaning) have NO IDEA how to interpret economic data.

Now are you going to admit your first post was irrelevant to the final 1/4 GDP growth or not?

Or are you going to keep ducking the fact like a coward?

Last edited:
After 2009, Obama's GDP ANNUAL growth rate was 2.14%. Trump's ANNUAL GDP growth rate has been 2.38% (a different number from the OP - it takes too long to calculate the OP-used number for Obama's post-2009 Presidency).

You said Trump's average GDP growth was 2.52% in your OP, and you put it in bold letters. How you downgraded that to 2.38% is beyond me and what that number has to do with Obama's post-2009 presidency is nonsensical. But I can tell you that Obama's GDP growth after 2009 was a paltry 2.1%, and that ain't close to 2.52% under Trump. And Trump's numbers are going to get better and better going forward too, thanks to the tax cuts and de-regulation. And spare me the crap about any trade wars until they actually happen. Right now it's all just talk, Trump's just trying to get us better deals than what we had pretty much since WWII.

You say you're not a lib? Bullshit. You can claim whatever you want, but your words speak for themselves about where you sit ideologically. And that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion.

After 2009, Obama's GDP ANNUAL growth rate was 2.14%. Trump's ANNUAL GDP growth rate has been 2.38% (a different number from the OP - it takes too long to calculate the OP-used number for Obama's post-2009 Presidency).

You said Trump's average GDP growth was 2.52% in your OP, and you put it in bold letters. How you downgraded that to 2.38% is beyond me and what that number has to do with Obama's post-2009 presidency is nonsensical. But I can tell you that Obama's GDP growth after 2009 was a paltry 2.1%, and that ain't close to 2.52% under Trump. And Trump's numbers are going to get better and better going forward too, thanks to the tax cuts and de-regulation. And spare me the crap about any trade wars until they actually happen. Right now it's all just talk, Trump's just trying to get us better deals than what we had pretty much since WWII.
Obviously, you are too ignorant to even know the difference between 'GDP Growth Rate' and 'Annual GDP Growth Rate'.

United States GDP Growth Rate | 1947-2018 | Data | Chart | Calendar

United States GDP Annual Growth Rate | 1948-2018 | Data | Chart | Calendar

DUH!!!

You say you're not a lib? Bullshit. You can claim whatever you want, but your words speak for themselves about where you sit ideologically. And that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion.

LOL...people who try and put words in other people's mouth's are losers. I am an independent. And if a nobody, macroeconomic ignoramus like you thinks otherwise...guess how much I care?

But, for the record, I am a big fan of Ron Paul's economic (and foreign policy) theories. Small government, low taxes, low regulations, end the Fed, MUCH smaller military, balanced budgets (though I disagree with him about welfare - I think it is necessary, to a point).
Now if you are calling Ron Paul a liberal...then you really are COMPLETELY out to lunch on this.
But you sound so stupid on this...maybe you think Ron Paul is a 'lib' too.

LOL.

Last edited:

And where is your link to an unbiased source that FACTUALLY proves your statement 'Finally, cutting regulations has been a really major thing'?

I guarantee that you cannot provide one.

Now let's see if you have the maturity and the guts to admit it (I doubt it)?

Last edited:

And where is your link to an unbiased source that FACTUALLY proves your statement 'Finally, cutting regulations has been a really major thing'?

You don't have the guts or the maturity to admit you said one thing and then changed to another, so IMHO you have zero intellectual honesty and therefore are not worth the time or trouble to prove anything to. Your idea of an unbiased source is any source that you agree with, so it's an impossibility to prove anything to you. In short, you are a waste of my time.

Nonetheless, here you go:

The Wall Street Journal recently asked 68 economists in academia and in business about who is most responsibly for the booming economy. The overall consensus is that President Trump should be taking the credit, and not his predecessor, President Barack Obama.

Here is what the economists are saying:

– Trump was “somewhat” or “strongly” positive for the stock market gains, job creation, and gross domestic product (GDP) growth.
– Trump cutting red tape and taxes contributed to the latest boom.
– Economists are giving Trump a higher score than Obama because business confidence is higher and investments are increasing.
– Economists gave Obama “neutral-to-negative for GDP growth and negative for long-term growth”; Trump received a “neutral to positive for long-term growth.”

Even The New York Times, a chief critic of the Trump administration, conceded that Trump is revitalizing the U.S. economy as it is “beginning to translate into the sort of investment in new plants, equipment and factory upgrades that bolsters economic growth, spurs job creation — and may finally raise wages significantly.”

If you want to dismiss the WSJ and the NY Times, be my guest.

Last edited:

You don't have the guts or the maturity to admit you said one thing and then changed to another, so IMHO you have zero intellectual honesty and therefore are not worth the time or trouble to prove anything to. Your idea of an unbiased source is any source that you agree with, so it's an impossibility to prove anything to you. In short, you are a waste of my time.

I knew it...you don't have the guts...you come up with some lame excuse to get around it.
So now we all know that task0778 makes statements that he refuses to (or simply cannot) backup.

Oh...and you stupid f'ing moron....I DID admit exactly what you said I did not. This was my above post on the subject:

'After 2009, Obama's GDP ANNUAL growth rate was 2.14%. Trump's ANNUAL GDP growth rate has been 2.38% (a different number from the OP - it takes too long to calculate the OP-used number for Obama's post-2009 Presidency).'

If you can actually read, you will see that I freely admitted that I used a different number the second time AND why.

God...you are SO staggeringly stupid it is amazing. The facts are right in front of you...and you still miss them.

LOL...you Trumpbots are fun to debate with (especially on economic issues). You are so utterly clueless and usually so stubborn and/or stupid. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Last edited:
From the NY Times:

More recently, though, job growth has experienced an unexpected uptick. Employers have added an average of 207,000 jobs per month so far in 2018, up from 172,000 in the same five months a year ago. It’s too soon to say whether that acceleration is the start of a new trend or just a blip. But many economists expect the faster pace of growth to continue because of the tax cuts passed in December and the extra government spending approved by Congress in January.
All that hiring has gone a long way toward putting Americans back to work. The unemployment rate, now 3.8 percent, is the lowest since 2000. The progress is increasingly reaching groups that often face discrimination or other disadvantages in the job market: The unemployment rate for African-Americans hit its lowest level on record in May. The jobless rates for Hispanics, teenagers and those with less than a high school education are likewise at or near multidecade lows.
It’s important to note that wages are rising. Average hourly earnings were up 2.7 percent in May from a year earlier, faster than inflation. And while noisy and sometimes conflicting data make it hard to discern a clear trend, there are signs that the pace of growth is accelerating, especially for lower earners.

The Jobs Recovery: A Longer View

I'm pretty sure the average GDP growth under Trump is better than it was under Obama. From the Investor's Business Daily:

We're not quite at a sustained elevated growth rate of 3% yet, but the latest economy snapshot tells us we are knocking on the door. The growth rate over the last four quarters came in at 2.9% — which was higher than any of the eight years of the Obama presidency.

Halfway through this current quarter, which began on April 1st, the Atlanta Federal Reserve estimates growth at 4%. If that persists through the end of June, we will have reached an average growth rate of 3% under Trump.

Not bad, given that nearly every liberal Trump critic, trashed Trump's campaign forecast of 3% to 4% growth as an impossible dream.

Economists like Larry Summers, Obama's first chief economist gloomily declared that we were mired in a new era of "secular stagnation" and that 3% growth was unachievable.

Paul Krugman of the New York Times said it was more likely we would see flying cars than 3% to 4% growth.

Now for the even better news. We are already starting to see a fiscal dividend from Trump's tax, energy, and regulatory pro-business policies.

The Congressional Budget Office reports that tax revenues in April — which is by far the biggest month of the year for tax collections because of the April 15th filing deadline — totaled $515 billion which was a robust 13% rise in receipts over last year.

MoneyWeek reports that the $218 billion monthly surplus (revenues over expenditures) this April was the largest ever, with the previous record being $180 billion in 2001. (April is always the one surplus month.)

What's the simple lesson here? More growth, more tax revenue.

But there's another lesson and it is about how wrong the bean counters were in Congress who said this tax bill would "cost" the Treasury $1.5 to $2 trillion in most revenues over the next decade.

If the higher growth rate that Trump has already accomplished remains in place, then the impact will be well over $3 trillion of more revenue and thus lower debt levels over the decade. Putting people to work is the best way to balance the budget. Period.

Critics will dismiss the importance of these higher revenue collections by arguing that the new receipts are for 2017 tax payments, which don't take account of the tax cut which passed in December.

This ignores that some of the growth we have seen was a result of the anticipation of the tax cut. Moreover, the fact that the tax cuts ‎are just sinking in, means we should get even higher growth rates for the next several years at least.

Alas, it is not all good news in the April surprise. The inexcusable omnibus spending bill increased federal spending by some $300 billion in 2018 and we are starting to feel the impact of that splurge. Federal outlays are up 8.7% in April.

That's unforgivable given that Republicans run everything in Washington these days.

No one thought that Trump could ramp up the growth rate to 3 percent or that his policies would boost federal revenues. But he is doing just that — which is why all that the Democrats and the media want to talk about these days is Russia and Stormy Daniels.

Trump Policies Are Bringing Back Economy's Lost Mojo — 3% Growth Is Possible
The GOP in Congress didn't sequester the budget with Trump just Oblama...See where that got us? They were willing to make the taxpayer suffer for political gain.

I knew it...you don't have the guts...you come up with some lame excuse to get around it.
So now we all know that task0778 makes statements that he refuses to (or simply cannot) backup.

Oh...and you stupid f'ing moron....I DID admit exactly what you said I did not. This was my above post on the subject:

'After 2009, Obama's GDP ANNUAL growth rate was 2.14%. Trump's ANNUAL GDP growth rate has been 2.38% (a different number from the OP - it takes too long to calculate the OP-used number for Obama's post-2009 Presidency).'

If you can actually read, you will see that I freely admitted that I used a different number the second time AND why.

God...you are SO staggeringly stupid it is amazing. The facts are right in front of you...and you still miss them.

LOL...you Trumpbots are fun to debate with (especially on economic issues). You are so utterly clueless and usually so stubborn and/or stupid. It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

So tell me, you dipshit asshole, how does one change the number for Trtump's annual GDP based on some calculation of Obama's post-2009 presidency. You're such a dick.

So tell me, you dipshit asshole, how does one change the number for Trtump's annual GDP based on some calculation of Obama's post-2009 presidency. You're such a dick.

What an idiot you are...you don't even know what you are talking about.

HELLO!!! GDP growth rate and Annual GDP growth rate are TWO DIFFERENT DATA POINTS...DUH. They measure the same thing but in slightly different ways.

United States GDP Growth Rate | 1947-2018 | Data | Chart | Calendar

United States GDP Annual Growth Rate | 1948-2018 | Data | Chart | Calendar

After 2009, Obama's ANNUAL GDP growth rate was 2.14%. Trump's ANNUAL GDP growth rate has been 2.38%.

Trump's GDP Growth Rate (which is a slightly different data point) was 2.52%. I cannot easily find the same data for Obama post 2009 as I cannot be bothered to take the time to calculate it. But I guarantee you the results will be similar...with Trump only slightly better.

Just look up US ANNUAL GDP GROWTH RATE yourself...you lazy shit.

The point is - you macroeconomic moron - that the Annual GDP growth for Obama (post 2009) and Trump are almost identical (2.14% to 2.38%).

Now can you get your 72 IQ points together long enough to get that through your thick head?

Last edited:
There are too many weighted factors holding down true economic expansion, one is a tight-fisted control of wages and the second is credit being overdrawn...

There are too many weighted factors holding down true economic expansion, one is a tight-fisted control of wages and the second is credit being overdrawn...

There are also many weighted factors that increase economic expansion, i.e., lower taxes and de-regulation. Otherwise known as supply-side economics, if you lower the cost then you can lower the price and that stimulates demand.

There are also many weighted factors that increase economic expansion, i.e., lower taxes and de-regulation. Otherwise known as supply-side economics, if you lower the cost then you can lower the price and that stimulates demand.
Yet if employers want to withhold wage increases it ain't worth a damn to the workers or retailers.

That only works when everything else is stable. It is not.

Don't believe me? Then you should believe the guy I (assume) you voted for:

'Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is going after Janet Yellen again, claiming that the Federal Reserve is creating an investment bubble.

During the first presidential debate, Trump said that the economy is having "the worst revival of an economy since the Great Depression" and that nothing in the country is healing after the financial crisis.

Additionally, Trump said that because of record low interest rates from the Fed, the country's economy is "in a big, fat, ugly bubble," with debt increasing while the "only thing that looks good is the stock market."

Thus when interest rates increase, the bubble would burst and the stock market would crash.'

'We are in a bubble': Trump says the economy is unstable

Trump was dead right. The economy was (and is) a mess...primarily because of the Fed. They are distorting everything.

Unfortunately, even though Trump had the power to fix the Fed...he chickened out and has done little to alleviate the 'big, fat, ugly bubble'.

I guarantee you that America will NEVER return to consistent 3+% Annual GDP growth rates until the Fed 'normalizes' interest rates and ends it's QE. But that is nowhere in sight.
I said that years ago. And Ron Paul (and others like Jim Rogers) YEARS before that. And they was right.

Yet if employers want to withhold wage increases it ain't worth a damn to the workers or retailers.

Employers who withhold wage increases tend to lose employees, and end up having to pay more in acquisition and training costs. And lower prices ALWAYS helps the workers get more bang for their bucks. Helps the retailers too, that's why they have big sales events all the time.

'Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is going after Janet Yellen again, claiming that the Federal Reserve is creating an investment bubble.

During the first presidential debate, Trump said that the economy is having "the worst revival of an economy since the Great Depression" and that nothing in the country is healing after the financial crisis.

Additionally, Trump said that because of record low interest rates from the Fed, the country's economy is "in a big, fat, ugly bubble," with debt increasing while the "only thing that looks good is the stock market."

Thus when interest rates increase, the bubble would burst and the stock market would crash.'

Trump was dead right. The economy was (and is) a mess...primarily because of the Fed. They are distorting everything.

Unfortunately, even though Trump had the power to fix the Fed...he chickened out and has done little to alleviate the 'big, fat, ugly bubble'.

I guarantee you that America will NEVER return to consistent 3+% Annual GDP growth rates until the Fed 'normalizes' interest rates and ends it's QE. But that is nowhere in sight.
I said that years ago. And Ron Paul (and others like Jim Rogers) YEARS before that. And they was right.

All I know is, lower taxes and de-reg is boosting economic growth right now, up from what it was under Obama. I have read that some people think another recession is in the cards, perhaps next year from a debt bubble. I am not a fan of deficit spending by any stretch, and therein lies the problem: we don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem and nobody has the balls to do anything about it. Trump is talking about making his tax cuts permanent, but I wouldn't support that. Let future Presidents and Congresses decide what the tax rates should be down the road.

Personally, I think we're fucked. I think we're in for another bad recession/depression, and I think the gov't is going to fuck around doing everything else but the right things like we did back in the 1930s..

All I know is, lower taxes and de-reg is boosting economic growth right now, up from what it was under Obama. I have read that some people think another recession is in the cards, perhaps next year from a debt bubble. I am not a fan of deficit spending by any stretch, and therein lies the problem: we don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem and nobody has the balls to do anything about it. Trump is talking about making his tax cuts permanent, but I wouldn't support that. Let future Presidents and Congresses decide what the tax rates should be down the road.

Personally, I think we're fucked. I think we're in for another bad recession/depression, and I think the gov't is going to fuck around doing everything else but the right things like we did back in the 1930s..

We are actually growing less than we did under Obama.

I agree with you here completely.

But the sycophants are pushing the rah-rah sis boom bah for Trump. It's a rhetorical thing politicans like to do with their cheerleading experiences in college..

Oh, I don't think so. What makes you think so?

No government data that I have seen supports that.
The growth under Trump may not be hugely better...but it is slightly better.
What is your link to an unbiased source to the contrary, please?

Forum List

Back