Q for USMB Progressives

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CrusaderFrank, Dec 12, 2011.

1. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,196
    We have the number 1 economy on the planet and got here in a relatively short time by adhering to free markets.

My question: Why do you think Redistribution is a better deal?

2. francoHFW

francoHFW Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Thanks for the deregulation depression and for gutting the nonrich and our infrastructure. Time for intelligent gov't again....Your party is batshytte crazy....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,990
    Let's think about this for just a minute. During the last 60 years, tax rates have been higher than they are now. We are now in the middle of the longest economic downturn since the Great Depression. If it weren't for all the government programs supporting those out of work, this would be Great Depression II.

In truth we got here, creating the largest economy in the world, with higher tax rates and even greater redistribution of income than we now have. And now that we have taken a step backwards by letting everyone keep more of their money, now our economy has tanked. Now, the truth is that it has very little to do with redistribution of wealth. However, paying for government programs without going into debt to do so, has created wealth over the years. Government spending money on this project and that, has put money into the private sector. Granted, first that money was taken out of the private sector, but then it was actually put to good use.

The problem with letting everyone keep more, and this holds the most truth with the very wealthy, is that the money does not end up back in the economy. It is held off to the side and left to do nothing. And this has been proven out by the fact that US businesses are sitting on over $2 trillion in cash that they refuse to put back into play. Now just think what would happen if half of that money was put into government revenue and then put back into the economy where it was actually in play. There would be more money floating around, people would be spending more, and companies would have to start hiring again to meet demand. You see, demand is what drives the economy. Investors do not invest unless there is demand, and since all the money is being hoarded and kept out of play, there is no growth.

Now there are other ways to put that money back into play, however none of them are realistic. For example, American businesses could give everyone of their employees a big raise, or they could just hire more people to get people working. Problem with that is that they won't do it if the demand is not there in the first place.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,163
    The idea that we got here with out creating debt is hilarious. We haven't had a balanced budget in 60 years. The debt was at 5 trillion before the wars. We increased our debt with 2 wars and unregulated Government social programs. It did not happen over night, or did it happen just under Bush or Obama.

By the way Obama is running up the debt twice as fast as Bush did.

5. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,542
    Why not ask when did they stop beating their wives, as well…

I know of no liberal/progressive who believes in ‘redistribution’ of any kind.

We have the number one economy on the planet as a result of both the public and private sectors working together: government regulation and oversight protects business from its darker side as well as providing the foundational infrastructure needed to allow businesses to succeed and flourish; tax dollars and sound public policy are as much contributors to a given business’s success as the hard work and dedication of that business owner.

That’s the essence of progressivism – a pragmatic approach rejecting blind dogma from both the left and right, having nothing to do with ‘redistribution.’

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +868
    A good old fashioned war will put the money back into the economy, for awhile, at the least. I'm in my winter retreat back in Yuma, and last month, the Army Proving Grounds, 20 miles north of my RV, set off some mega bunker busters. My RV shook, so did my neighbors RV's to the point where they were scratching their heads and talking about how did you hear and feel that, etc.
    Now, they didn't figure it out, but I have, and our Gov't may not like me posting this, but if I lived in Iran I'd be very afraid, and I will frankly be surprised if Iran is not attacked by the end of 2012!!!

7. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +868
    And, when it occurs, you can always say you heard it at USMB first!
    That's whatz cool about the so far unrestricted Interwebz, foreign Gov't's and our Gov't monitors it simultaneously.
    But B. Kidd has already been audited by the IRS this year and I had to pay........so whatever Gov't wants to take me down, domestic or foreign.......have at it Mofos!!!

8. MeBelle60

MeBelle60 Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,484
    Med cart please!

9. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +868

Meds can't take the place of direct house current!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,196
    You really should take your meds, it does no good to only pretend.

I asked about redistribution as economic philosophy and I'm sorry you and reality had such a bad falling out and are no longer on speaking terms