Q&A Advice Thread on Pets

TrinityPower

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2012
Fantasy island
I have this cat and he is neutered but recently he has decided to squirt all over the house. There are no other male cats in the home. There are two females but they are spayed and in their teens (human years). Looking for reasons he could be doing this. He didn't exhibit these traits before so any advice as to why he is now and what to do about stopping it? He is causing a lot of extra work cleaning up after him

I have this cat and he is neutered but recently he has decided to squirt all over the house. There are no other male cats in the home. There are two females but they are spayed and in their teens (human years). Looking for reasons he could be doing this. He didn't exhibit these traits before so any advice as to why he is now and what to do about stopping it? He is causing a lot of extra work cleaning up after him

he is marking his territory, either his testosterone levels have climbed back up( take to vet and get checked).

OR

He has had some type of painful injury / surgery, declawed recently perhaps??

Why Do Cats Urine Mark?

Animal species who live in social groups in which the members depend on each other for survival have sophisticated interpersonal communication. Particularly animals who can cause significant harm to each other—like dogs—have developed a social mechanism for preventing conflict through interpersonal ranking. They are prepared to assume either a leadership or deference position, and they can read another animal’s body language to interpret his intentions and react accordingly. But cats have a somewhat unique social structure in that they do not hunt, eat or sleep in groups like dogs.

Given the opportunity, cats go off on their own when they mature and claim certain areas or territories for themselves. They might share a territory with other cats, but it’s a time-share approach—they avoid each other whenever possible. They haven’t developed a social system or a communication system like dogs. Socially, cats who greet often handle things like two neighbors in an argument—although one might back down if he thinks he might get injured—neither individual will ever perceive himself as having lower status than the other. Cats have no system for working out face-to-face disputes, so face-to-face disputes can be dangerous for them. To avoid disputes, cats communicate indirectly—they leave messages.

Cats have numerous ways to leave messages for each other, and one way is through urine marking. By urine marking, a cat tells other cats of his presence and makes a statement about such things as what piece of property is his, how long ago he was in the area and, over time, when other cats can expect him to return. Cats can even advertise when they are looking for a mate. All this information is available to other cats in the urine. This way, cats rarely have to meet up with each other.

Cats who live in houses might not have to hunt for their food or find a mate, but they still look at their world in the same way as cats who must survive on their own. They can only use the social and communication skills that nature gave them. If their world is predictable, there are no conflicts, they are spayed or neutered and they don’t need a mate, cats have little reason to mark and probably will not. But, if they want a mate or they are distressed about something, they’ll deal with their distress like any cat: they’ll mark their territory. To a cat, marking helps keep unwanted individuals away—whoever and whatever those individuals may be—and it creates an atmosphere of familiarity that makes them feel more secure.

Urine Marking in Cats ASPCA

What kind of food are you giving him,male cats can develop urinary problems from a build up in ureter,he may be in some distress.

he is marking his territory, either his testosterone levels have climbed back up( take to vet and get checked).

OR

No he isn't injured, had surgery or declawed. He eats well, has 3 litter boxes to choose from plus he spends time outside. I changed food and monitored that, no problems. He isn't young but he isn't old either. He had a check up awhile back but found no issues. Having him checked out again is probably the step. I have never had a cat do this before after they were altered. If he had stones or crystals he would cry when urinating but that is not happening. There would also be blood in the urine which is not the case here.

OR

No he isn't injured, had surgery or declawed. He eats well, has 3 litter boxes to choose from plus he spends time outside. I changed food and monitored that, no problems. He isn't young but he isn't old either. He had a check up awhile back but found no issues. Having him checked out again is probably the step. I have never had a cat do this before after they were altered. If he had stones or crystals he would cry when urinating but that is not happening. There would also be blood in the urine which is not the case here.
We almost lost our male cat last winter,one day he was fine the next not,blocked ureter just because they don't act sick doesn't mean they are not,just saying,who could ever really know what goes through a cats mind!

OR

We almost lost our male cat last winter,one day he was fine the next not,blocked ureter just because they don't act sick doesn't mean they are not,just saying,who could ever really know what goes through a cats mind!
I lost a cat from something similar as well a couple years ago although I suspected he had a greater health issue and that's why someone dumped him in the neighborhood to start. This cat isn't behaving like the other one in that regard. I was hoping I could figure it out instead of taking him in to the doc again. I had to take him in awhile back because he decided that a bee looked like a fun thing to catch

Put him outside in the yard. That way you don't have to clean up the mess. Problem solved.

How to stop male cats from peeing in the house Yahoo Answers

Yo, how old?

"GTP"

He is fixed and has been long before he came to live with me. He has been here for almost 4 years and it has just been within the past few months he has decided to be a bucket face

Not totally sure. He wasn't mine from birth but at least 8. Maybe he is having a cat's midlife crisis lol

Yo, maybe you should show him how much you love him, before he is gone?

"GTP"
Does he look unloved? He is even laying on his love blanket
bubba.jpg

Forum List

Back