puzzling George Washington item

tia

Rookie
Jan 13, 2012
Hello All!

This is my first time here, what a wonderful forum!
My name is tia and I would sure appreciate some input from you guys on something I've acquired.

It's a figural ivory toothpick of George Washington. The puzzling thing is, it's dated 1770 which is before he was president. Is there anything during that time period that you think might have some connection to this piece?

I have a picture, but I don't seem to have enough posts to put it up. Will post them at a later datel

thanks, tia

Try to send it (the picture) to me via PM and if it's not something in violation of forum policy I will post it for you- you have my curiousity up.

Last edited:
What kind of auction did you acquire it from?

Last edited:
Hello All!

This is my first time here, what a wonderful forum!
My name is tia and I would sure appreciate some input from you guys on something I've acquired.

It's a figural ivory toothpick of George Washington. The puzzling thing is, it's dated 1770 which is before he was president. Is there anything during that time period that you think might have some connection to this piece?

I have a picture, but I don't seem to have enough posts to put it up. Will post them at a later datel

thanks, tia

Welcome.

But I think you've accidentally come to the wrong website and you intended to go HERE.

Don't worry...it happens ALL the time.

Try to send it (the picture) to me via PM and if it's not something in vilotion of forum policy I will post it for you- you have my curiousity up.

done

Thank you Tia, link recieved- a picture is definitely worth a thousand words in this case.

gwashington.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Vengeance, and xotoxi I love that show!
I'm trying to figure out why something would commemorate Washington so long before he was president

Interesting Tia- I assume this is ivory? Curious though, what evidence is there that this is a toothpick? It's quite blunt for the job.

Edit to add: Washington was a citizen of note long before the revolution.

Last edited:
Interesting Tia- I assume this is ivory? Curious though, what evidence is there that this is a toothpick? It's quite blunt for the job.

yes, it's ivory, and the man I bought it from was told that what it is by the owner. It's very sharp at the tip and I've found similar carved toothpicks online

yes, it's ivory, and the man I bought it from was told that what it is by the owner. It's very sharp at the tip and I've found similar carved toothpicks online

I would take it to an antique dealer and have it appraised.

I may do that. Mainly I was interested in finding out what if anything that date signifies.

Another interesting thing, it's G. Washington not George Washington. I'm also thinking it may have been made for him by someone as a gift and the date only signifies when it was made.

I may do that. Mainly I was interested in finding out what if anything that date signifies.

Another interesting thing, it's G. Washington not George Washington. I'm also thinking it may have been made for him by someone as a gift and the date only signifies when it was made.

I initially thought the date might be when the carving was done too but it needn't be a discrepancy- Washington was born in 1732 so would have been 28 in 1760, about right for the features on the face I think.

In 1760, Washington took on the duties of a Fairfax County justice of the peace. He also found time for the amusements of a Virginia gentleman – fox hunting, snuff taking, plays, billiards, cards, dancing, and fishing. He delighted in bottles of Madeira, plates of watermelon, and dishes of oysters.

George Washington Biography : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History Site

So a gentlemans appurtenances , such as the object you now have, would be to be expected.

Whatever more you find out about it, would you be so kind as to report back to us? I would like to know what you find out.

Whatever more you find out about it, would you be so kind as to report back to us? I would like to know what you find out.

I sure will and thanks, I'll look over that link too, guess I'll be learning a lot about George Washington :)

I would have it authenticated b4 purchase 'lest you pay too much for it. You-know-who (the chinese) are good at forgeries ;)

I would have it authenticated b4 purchase 'lest you pay too much for it. You-know-who (the chinese) are good at forgeries ;)

Yes they are! hehe

I've actually already purchased this item, and can see that it's ivory and early so that's not a problem. It's just that date of 1770 that has me wondering, and thinking if it might even have been owned by him. That'd be something huh? :)

Forum List

Back