Puzzled with Ad-Aware SE

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
My Ad-Aware SE starts with this message "Your definitions are 29 days old.
Would you like to check for updates now?"

Sure I do...The problem is the window gives me no option to do so, and is frozen.
I can't even close it without going to task manager and ending program.

Anyone have any idea what may be causing this strange behavior?
I did un-install/ re-install..It works for one scan then the problem starts again.

Mr. P said:

Sure I do...The problem is the window gives me no option to do so, and is frozen.

I did un-install/ re-install..It works for one scan then the problem starts again.
Not sure how to solve your problem but I have some problems with mine freezing at times and a friend who installed it is unable to delete critical files that have been found.

This is so strange...

I did un-install..Downloaded again and installed..
Ran the program without any problems..

Now just browsing around on the control panel of the program, I hit a button that gives me a screen that
is about 1 1/2' tall 7" long. It says "No updated components available".
Well, fine no problem..cept this window will not allow me to close it either!
It's like the window is to small and all buttons are not in view, but I can't resize it either.
Again, task manager is the only way to get rid of it.

Mr. P said:

Dude, you're down to three scenarios

1. The new program has kinks in it
2. Your system is infected with spyware
3. Your system is infected with a virus

The freezing comes from a result of too many programs activating themselves at a rate faster than the processor can keep pace. This can be the result of a complicated program, an outdated computer or a series of spyware program infections. The worse case scenario; you may have the trojan horse, or some form of computer viral infection.

My advice- worst case scenario

Nuke it! Save your files to disk, whip out your restore disk and reset your computer. From there, just click on any of the programs that came with your computer; they will automatically update themselves. Install your Anti-viral FIRST, your anti-spyware SECOND and your Ad-Aware SE THIRD! From there, load up your old files; once you have your files loaded, run your tests on them. If they're clean, you're clean.

My advice- best case scenario

Go back to the previous version and stay there until "they" work out the kinks.

Forum List

Back