Putting Spending In The Center Of The Campaign

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
Romney goes bold with Ryan as VP pick | WashingtonExaminer.com

Mitt Romney is not known as a gambling man. When choosing a running mate, many observers expected Romney to make the safest, most cautious choice — most likely Ohio Sen. Rob Portman.* By instead choosing Rep. Paul Ryan, Romney is sending a clear signal that he intends to run a more daring and more ideologically vigorous campaign than he has run up to this point. And in that sense, Romney has now become a gambling man.

Although Romney had embraced the Ryan budget plan, he has now embraced its author, too — and in the process moved the issue of entitlement reform and controls on federal spending to the top of the Romney campaign agenda. It wasn’t in such a prominent position before.

Romney’s gamble is that in the midst of an economic downturn, voters are ready to accept Ryan’s prescription for fixing the federal budget, in particular his proposals for reforming Medicare. Romney and Ryan are right that major changes need to be made, and at some point the voting public will accept that view, too. That day is coming. The question is whether it will arrive by November 6.

It is a go for broke kind of thing.

Can Romney sell the independents who will like Ryan's proposals which are concrete...and will be in start contrast to Obama's failed stimulus ?

All the while convincing voters in Florida that he isn't going to throw them onto the street.

And will Ryan help gain some traction with young people who are pretty disgusted with Obama's crappy leadership ?

It's time to see just how right leaning this country really is.

This pick and the timing shows a remarkable level of bad planning and flawed strategy, it cannot be painted as anything positive except perhaps that Ryan has and can raise a lot of cash from Wall Street.

Of course Team Obama says it is delighted with Romney’s choice, because they believe they can destroy Ryan’s plan, and in the process the Romney-Ryan candidacy. And it seems likely that at the very least choosing Ryan has made winning Florida a little harder for Romney — and if Romney doesn’t win Florida, he doesn’t become president. What Democrats are overlooking is that Ryan is a truly formidable figure. He not only knows his stuff, he is able to communicate his ideas in a persuasive and appealing way. There’s a very good chance voters will like him. Democrats love to portray Republicans as angry. They won’t be able to do that with Ryan, who doesn’t give off even a hint of anger.

But the fact remains that there has never before been a national debate about entitlements like the one that is coming in this presidential campaign. Mitt Romney has decided it’s time for that debate, and that he can win it. That’s the biggest bet of his candidacy, by a long shot.

David Axelrod would not be safe in some parts of Kansas. I hope he never tests that ?

I don't see how he can appear on TV given the dismal leadership of Obama and the even more pathetic "recovery" of the past four years.

What an embarrassment our president is.

This pick and the timing shows a remarkable level of bad planning and flawed strategy, it cannot be painted as anything positive except perhaps that Ryan has and can raise a lot of cash from Wall Street.

It is nice to see that the occupy movement still considers complete ignorance a virtue.

I can only hope, we can't keep spending what we don't have. My wife and I are retirement age working full time and depend on the health care that we paid for over the years. Congress stole the money from the trust fund and we want it put back. If a new plan will reduce cost, and balance the budget we are all for it.

It is nice to see that the occupy movement still considers complete ignorance a virtue.

I bring up some good points, typical that they are ignored, This VP pick is going to cost more votes than it gains, can you give a good reason that they would pick someone with such a horrible public image early enough that the media and the Obama campaign has ample time to rip the guy to shreds before the conventions? I see it as a disastrous move for the GOP from a purely strategic standpoint, perhaps you see it differently, care to explain?

I bring up some good points, typical that they are ignored, This VP pick is going to cost more votes than it gains, can you give a good reason that they would pick someone with such a horrible public image early enough that the media and the Obama campaign has ample time to rip the guy to shreds before the conventions? I see it as a disastrous move for the GOP from a purely strategic standpoint, perhaps you see it differently, care to explain?

That is just what this thread is about.

Obama has been littering the campaign trail with distractions and is making some headway. However, more people will join in the conversation in the next several weeks.

Ryan is clearly going to spend the next three months hammering Obama on spending and his management of the economy.

It's time to see who really understands how this work

And BTW: your "good points" were nothing but an opinion.

Obama has been littering the campaign trail with distractions and is making some headway. However, more people will join in the conversation in the next several weeks.

Ryan is clearly going to spend the next three months hammering Obama on spending and his management of the economy.

Wanting to turn medicare into a deliberately sabotaged coupon program is the albatross around his neck, it is not going to go away and it is a foolhardy thing to add to the list of things that can be used to attack the Romney campaign. The psychotic urge to throw granny off the cliff or at least her 50-something children is never going to enjoy wide support no matter how it gets packaged.

Wanting to turn medicare into a deliberately sabotaged coupon program is the albatross around his neck, it is not going to go away and it is a foolhardy thing to add to the list of things that can be used to attack the Romney campaign. The psychotic urge to throw granny off the cliff or at least her 50-something children is never going to enjoy wide support no matter how it gets packaged.

Regardless of your absolutist claims, Romney has decided he is going to put this front and center. Ryan can explain it better than Biden can unexplain it.

I guess that what Nov 6 will come down to. Romney does not need you. He just needs enough.

Granny will find herself nowhere near the cliff when it's over.

Regardless of your absolutist claims, Romney has decided he is going to put this front and center. Ryan can explain it better than Biden can unexplain it.

I guess that what Nov 6 will come down to. Romney does not need you. He just needs enough.

We will see, you just need to realize that he gave the Obama campaign a club to beat him with. As far as spending goes, the GOP does not have a track record of cutting spending when it is they who have the checkbook, they do however like to explode the deficit in various ways that help very few people.

Not only are you an ignoramus, you actually think your opinion counts as much as mine. What was Romney supposed to do, wait for the night before the election to pick a VP? Do you have any idea how incredibly stupid pointing out that Obama can now try to dig up dirt on Ryan makes you look? Just an FYI, Obama has been digging up dirt on Ryan for years, and the best he could come up with was pushing grandma off a cliff.

We will see, you just need to realize that he gave the Obama campaign a club to beat him with. As far as spending goes, the GOP does not have a track record of cutting spending when it is they who have the checkbook, they do however like to explode the deficit in various ways that help very few people.

Very true. The right wing idiots just flat out lie to their easily mislead sheep that they actually care about less spending and getting the budget under control, but once in office they spend like drunken lunatics sending the deficit soaring.

The only one that has brought us controlled spending and paying down the debt in the past 30+ years has been the democrat Clinton.

Not only are you an ignoramus, you actually think your opinion counts as much as mine. What was Romney supposed to do, wait for the night before the election to pick a VP? Do you have any idea how incredibly stupid pointing out that Obama can now try to dig up dirt on Ryan makes you look? Just an FYI, Obama has been digging up dirt on Ryan for years, and the best he could come up with was pushing grandma off a cliff.

No need to dig up dirt, his stated polices are plenty bad, it's still the first day, it should become readily apparent in the next few weeks what a drag on the campaign this pick will become.

The whole of this campaign should be about how Obama did nothing to cut spending. He wouldn't even demand a budget.

In fact, he wanted to spend a bunch more money on another failed stimulus.

Even if the first one had worked, it still picked winners and losers. But it didn't work.

The whole of this campaign should be about how Obama did nothing to cut spending. He wouldn't even demand a budget.

Even if the first one had worked, it still picked winners and losers. But it didn't work.

The stimulus did work. Since it was implemented, the economy turned right around and now we've had 27 straight months of positive job growth, coming from losing 3/4 of a million a month caused by W and the GOP.

It's a failed idea and all Obama has to do is hammer Ryan on his budget (which is heavily unpopular) as well as Willard's tax returns.

Willard is making a desperation move like McCain, and it's going to give Obama another easy win :clap2:

Obama has an economic plan!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjbyzPcIYzU]Obama: Let's Repeat Auto Bailout With Every Industry - YouTube[/ame]

Laffer and Moore: Obama's Real Spending Record - WSJ.com

President Obama shocked us the other day when he said, "Since I've been president, federal spending has risen at the lowest pace in nearly 60 years." Having heard him champion the "multiplier effects" of deficit-financed stimulus spending, we saw him as an enthusiastic supporter of throwing other people's money at just about any problem.

Thus began our quest to see where we had strayed from the straight and narrow. Here's the picture.

In the chart nearby we've plotted federal government spending on a National Income and Product Accounts (NIPA) basis as a share of total U.S. GDP from 1990 to the present. The NIPA numbers are used here as opposed to appropriations or outlays to capture the actual periods when production occurs. The stories the chart tells are amazing.

The stimulus did work. Since it was implemented, the economy turned right around and now we've had 27 straight months of positive job growth, coming from losing 3/4 of a million a month caused by W and the GOP.

It's a failed idea and all Obama has to do is hammer Ryan on his budget (which is heavily unpopular) as well as Willard's tax returns.

Willard is making a desperation move like McCain, and it's going to give Obama another easy win :clap2:

The stimulus was signed 42 months ago, that leaves you with 15 months that you aren't counting when you claim the stimulus worked. Is there a reason for that?

New Topics

Forum List

Back