Putting GPS Chips In Children & Teens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmdr Sheppard

Rookie
Mar 6, 2011
I was on another forum, the official Star Wars: The Old Republic forum of all places, where someone made a thread make a ridiculous claim that at birth all people should be forced to have a GPS tracking chip inserted into their brain. His argument was that it would help stop abductions and kidnappings. He also said it would help stop teen sex, drug & alcohol abuse, breaking curfew, and other acts of civil disobedience. The entire community, save for Geshalt (another user) and the OP, then told him how horrible of an idea it was. People cited references to totalitarian government, human rights violations, how such a thing could be abused by the government/abusive parents/pedophiles who figure out how to track kids and teenagers.

People also said how it's like treating human beings like cattle. Some users said that it should be allowed up until they turn 13 and then it should be removed, and other users said that if you need a GPS locator to keep your children safe, then you shouldn't have kids. Personally I'm against such a thing, it's a very slippery slope after all, and I while I'm not a minor, I probably would have killed myself as a teenager if my parents and/or the government could figure out my exact location at any given time. I sarcastically told the OP that he might as well have thought police while he was at it. So, what do you think of this?

Last edited:
First off
I'm a little shocked such a forum exists. But now knowing that it does, and you are a member, it explains A LOT.

chips in the brain.

Aside from the fact that opening the skull will kill some people?
And that the signal will be blocked by the fluids and bone?

As long as it came with a minor tazer option for teens, I'd be all for it.
~~~~~~~~~~`

kidding
But it's not far off from what your cell does now. I know exactly were my teens phones are, and since they stop functioning when more than 6' away from them, I know where they are.

Why not just use the ankle bracelets tethered to sex offenders, parolees and other undesirables?
Could be removed at 18.

Why not just use the ankle bracelets tethered to sex offenders, parolees and other undesirables?
Could be removed at 18.

You don't have kids do you.

You can't, other wise you would know just how hard kids are on things.

And lets ignore the fact that kids like to run and play, and those clunky things would injure them.

I was on another forum, the official Star Wars: The Old Republic forum of all places, where someone made a thread make a ridiculous claim that at birth all people should be forced to have a GPS tracking chip inserted into their brain. His argument was that it would help stop abductions and kidnappings. He also said it would help stop teen sex, drug & alcohol abuse, breaking curfew, and other acts of civil disobedience. The entire community, save for Geshalt (another user) and the OP, then told him how horrible of an idea it was. People cited references to totalitarian government, human rights violations, how such a thing could be abused by the government/abusive parents/pedophiles who figure out how to track kids and teenagers.

People also said how it's like treating human beings like cattle. Some users said that it should be allowed up until they turn 13 and then it should be removed, and other users said that if you need a GPS locator to keep your children safe, then you shouldn't have kids. Personally I'm against such a thing, it's a very slippery slope after all, and I while I'm not a minor, I probably would have killed myself as a teenager if my parents and/or the government could figure out my exact location at any given time. I sarcastically told the OP that he might as well have thought police while he was at it. So, what do you think of this?

Well that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

You'd want to implant the chip when they hit 13, not take it out.

Duh.

Well that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

You'd want to implant the chip when they hit 13, not take it out.

Duh.

Lets start a movement!

Tazer belts for Teens!! Or TBT for short!

Oh, it would be easier to count the people that would not want that.
:clap2:

How often do you have to update the software based on construction? Pet peeve with my Garmin.

If parents want to buy GPS monitoring for their kids and keep it on them in someplace inconspicous, thats fine. But not a requirement.

If parents want to buy GPS monitoring for their kids and keep it on them in someplace inconspicous, thats fine. But not a requirement.

If that's what parents want to do, then they should be referred for psychiatric evaluation. :eek:

Talk about opening Pandora's box.

This is a bad idea. The risks far outweigh any benefits

No, it's not a slippery slope. We'd pretty much be already at the bottom if we consider doing this.

I notice people are quick to restrict other people's freedom if the rules won't affect them any. I also built up an immunity for emotion driven for-the-children arguments and it makes me look suspiciously at those braying it.

No, it's not a slippery slope. We'd pretty much be already at the bottom if we consider doing this.

I notice people are quick to restrict other people's freedom if the rules won't affect them any. I also built up an immunity for emotion driven for-the-children arguments and it makes me look suspiciously at those braying it.

I dont know... i Could imagine the bottom being lower. But then that bottom usually involves totalitarian governments and mass murder.... so we wouldnt be too far from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back