Putin's Speech to Russia this evening

JIHADTHIS

Mar 31, 2004
Mowing a grassy knoll....
MOSCOW, September 4 (Itar-Tass) - President Vladimir Putin has addressed the people of Russia on major radio and television channels in the aftermath of the brutal hostage-taking in Beslan, North Ossetia, that ended in the deaths of about 350 people.

Following is the full text of the address.

“A horrendous tragedy has befallen our country. We all of us deeply suffered in the past few days, letting through our hearts all the developments in the town of Beslan.

“It was not mere murderers whom we had to face; we encountered the ones who had taken up arms against defenseless children.

“First and foremost, I would like to give the words of support to the people who lost the dearest of all the treasures one can have – children, family members, close friends. I share their grief with them.

“I would like to ask you to recall all those who fell at the hands of terrorists in the past few days.

“Russian history has had many tragic pages and has seen many tragic events. We are living in a situation that took shape after the disintegration of a giant state that turned out unviable in the conditions of a rapidly changing world. But in spite of all the difficulties, we managed to keep up the kernel of that giant and called it the Russian Federation.

“We expected a change – a change for the better, but we found ourselves unprepared for many of the things that came upon us. Why did it happen?

“We are living in a transitional economy, which does not meet the requirements or the level of development of society and its political system. Internal conflicts and ethnic contradictions, so toughly suppressed by the dominating ideology in the previous epoch, are mounting now.

“Our attention to the issues of defense and security started flagging, and we let corruption mute our judiciary and law enforcement systems. Our country used to have a most potent system of border defenses, and yet it became defenseless both in the West and in the East virtually overnight.

“Creation of tangible border defenses will take years and billions of rubles, but even there our performance could be more efficient if we reacted timely and professionally.

“I must admit that we did not give a close look to the processes unfolding in our own country and abroad, or anyway we failed to react to them properly.

“We winked at our own weakness, and it is the weak who are always beaten up. Some want to tear away saucy piece of our wealth, while others help these aspirants in so doing. They still believe that Russia poses a threat to them as a nuclear power. That is why this threat must be eliminated, and terrorism is just another instrument in implementing their designs.

“As I said, we encountered crises, revolts, and terrorist acts on many occasions, but what happened this time is a terrorist crime, the cruelty of which stands beyond precedence. This is not a challenge to the President, Parliament, or cabinet of ministers; this is a challenge to the entire Russian state and its people. This is aggression against us.

“The terrorists believe they are stronger than ourselves, that their cruelty will intimidate us, paralyze our will and degenerate our society. Here we have a seeming alternative – to rebuff them or to begin obeying their orders. The second means to give in and to let them partition Russia in a hope that they will somehow let us alone.

“As President of the Russian state, a person who gave an oath to defend the nation and its territorial integrity, and last but not least, as a Russian citizen, I am confident that we have no such alternative.

“The moment we give in to their blackmail and succumb to panic, we will plunge millions of people into an endless chain of bloodletting conflicts, like Karabakh [an enclave of Azerbaijan predominantly populated by Armenians – Itar-Tass] or the Dniester region [a part of Moldova that proclaimed itself independent in the early 1990’s – Itar-Tass] or other tragedies of the kind. One cannot but see that this is obvious.

“What we have on our hands is not the scattered acts of intimidation or odd terrorist sorties. This is direct intervention on the part of international terrorism in Russia. It is a total and full-blown war that keeps claiming the lives of our compatriots.

“But world experience proves that such wars do not end quickly. Given this situation, we cannot afford complacent treatment of it anymore.

“We must set up a much more efficient system of security and make demands to our law enforcement system that its actions become proportionate to the size of new threats.

“The main thing, however, is to mobilize the consciousness of the nation in the face of a common threat. Events in other countries show that terrorists get the most adequate responses in the places where they run into the power of the state, on the one hand, and organized and united civic society, on the other.

“Dear fellow countrymen,

The people who sent the terrorists to commit that utterly heinous crime harbored a hope to set on our peoples to fight with one another and unleash a bloody feud in Northern Caucasus.

“I would like to tell you the following in that connection.

“First, an expansive set of measures aimed at strengthening the country’s unity will be prepared shortly.

“Second, I believe it is vital that we set up a new system of interaction between the forces controlling situations in Northern Caucasus.

“Third, we need a new efficient system of crisis management, based on completely novel approaches to the activity of law enforcement agencies.

“I would like make special stress on the intention to implement those measures in strict conformity with the Constitution”.

“My dear friends, all of us are living through mournful and painful hours now, and I would like to thank all of you for your self-restraint and civic responsibility.

“We have always been stronger than them and will remain so. I mean our morals, courage, and human solidarity. I saw it again this early morning.

“Beslan is literally imbued with grief and pain, but people there were so much caring for one another, so much cooperative.

“They were not afraid to risk their lives for the sake of others. They remained real people even in the most inhumane conditions.

“It is hard to reconcile oneself with bitter losses, but the ordeal has made us closer to one another and compelled us to reassess many things. We must be together nowadays, because that is the only way to defeat the enemy”.

(end)

May they join us in erasing the threat of Islamofascism :firing:

The difference between Russia and the USA is that Putin, if he decides to, won't ask (nor need to ask) for permission to go after these scumbags.

If you will recall, I believe it was Yamamoto that warned attacking Pearl Harbour would "awake a sleeping giant", perhaps this latest terrorist attack in Russia has awaken a sleeping giant that will smash radical Islamists.

If we (the USA) play this right, we might be able to get Russia to do a lot of our dirty work.....

Just a thought.

freeandfun1 said:
The difference between Russia and the USA is that Putin, if he decides to, won't ask (nor need to ask) for permission to go after these scumbags.

You don't think he'll ask the French for permission?

I'm shocked.

Maybe, just maybe, knowing that his country was not all that it used to be, Putin's thinking was to align Russia with the EU in the hopes of balancing against the US on the world stage.

Hopefully he now sees the light...........

Do any of you have a clue as to what this whole situation with Chechnya is about?

Read about the real issues:

http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/Chechnya.asp

http://www.mit.edu/people/fjk/essays/chechnia.html

It's pretty hard for me to feel sorry for the poor Russians after what they have been doing for the last decade. Why shouldn't the Russians simply get out of Chechnya? Just because the region has valuable assests does not mean it is right that it was included as part of Russia against the will of the indiginous population.

What is going on is that Russia wants to simply take the oil and mineral wealth of the region to bolster their faultering and corrupt economy. Why do you people act like Russia is in the right w.r.t. this war?

Wake up! Russia is the oppressor, not the oppressed!

Wade.

In a statement issued in the name of the EU presidency on Friday, Bot said all countries should work together to stop such tragedies, adding: "We also would like to know from the Russian authorities how this tragedy could have happened."
http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=577121&section=news

Wow....Putin will be pissed..ya think?
It looks like the EU is following in the footsteps of the UN to me..
That's a good thing, this One World Government crap needs to stop.

wade said:
Do any of you have a clue as to what this whole situation with Chechnya is about?

Read about the real issues:

http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/Chechnya.asp

http://www.mit.edu/people/fjk/essays/chechnia.html

It's pretty hard for me to feel sorry for the poor Russians after what they have been doing for the last decade. Why shouldn't the Russians simply get out of Chechnya? Just because the region has valuable assests does not mean it is right that it was included as part of Russia against the will of the indiginous population.

What is going on is that Russia wants to simply take the oil and mineral wealth of the region to bolster their faultering and corrupt economy. Why do you people act like Russia is in the right w.r.t. this war?

Wake up! Russia is the oppressor, not the oppressed!

Wade.

You know, I thought you had slightly more intelligence then the occasional troll who shows up spouting his anti-Bush bullshit. With that statement, I will no longer waste time or keystrokes debating with you. You are a terrorist appeaser and sympathizer. You are politely asked to go fuck yourself :finger: :321:

So it is not terrorism when the Russians shell Chechnyan towns but it is terrorism when Chechnyan's attack Russian civilian facilities?

Yep, i'd expect that - don't look at both sides and ignore or shout down opposing points of view. Apply human rights and justice selectively. Turn a blind eye to fruad and corruption if it suits your position.

Typical.

Wade.

wade said:
So it is not terrorism when the Russians shell Chechnyan towns but it is terrorism when Chechnyan's attack Russian civilian facilities?

Yep, i'd expect that - don't look at both sides and ignore or shout down opposing points of view. Apply human rights and justice selectively. Turn a blind eye to fruad and corruption if it suits your position.

Typical.

Wade.

Yeah sure. Justify the slaughter of the innocent........

wade said:

Typical.

Wade.

You really are an embarrassment. Have you become so pavlovian in your responses that you view any action by terrorists as justifiable? Is it comfortable to wrap yourself in the arrogant, smug self-assertion that everyone besides you is stupid?

Nothing that the Russian government may or may not be doing in Chechnya justifies the cold-blooded, calculated murder of innocents, especially children.

Where is that vaunted liberal compassion and why does it evaporate the instant that it no longer suits you? If these are truly your honest opinions, then you are a pitifully pathetic excuse for a human being.

freeandfun1 said:

If you will recall, I believe it was Yamamoto that warned attacking Pearl Harbour would "awake a sleeping giant", perhaps this latest terrorist attack in Russia has awaken a sleeping giant that will smash radical Islamists.

If we (the USA) play this right, we might be able to get Russia to do a lot of our dirty work.....

Just a thought.

That's exactly what I thought. Im just waiting for the words from Putin, "America, let's do it!"

Merlin1047 said:
You really are an embarrassment. Have you become so pavlovian in your responses that you view any action by terrorists as justifiable? Is it comfortable to wrap yourself in the arrogant, smug self-assertion that everyone besides you is stupid?

Nothing that the Russian government may or may not be doing in Chechnya justifies the cold-blooded, calculated murder of innocents, especially children.

Where is that vaunted liberal compassion and why does it evaporate the instant that it no longer suits you? If these are truly your honest opinions, then you are a pitifully pathetic excuse for a human being.

I dispute that this was an act of Terrorism as we've defined it here on this board. Rather, it was an act of revenge, a very different thing.

The Chechin's have a long history of savage oppression by Russian rulers dating back to the Czar and including the Soviet Union through all its leaders, especially Joseph Stalin's forcible deportations. Today young Chechen men are the primary targets for arrest, torture and disappearance in Russia's harsh crackdown on separatist movements. Thousands of women who've lost their husbands and brothers to Russian murder are willing to give up their lives in revenge by suicide bombings.

"When the Russian incursion into Chechnya began in October 1999, Russia said its objectives were limited to subduing bandits hiding in Chechnya's mountains. However, over time it became apparent that in this second phase of the Chechen war Russia is evidently intent on reversing the humiliating defeat it suffered in Chechnya three years ago. The Russian authorities present the war in Chechnya as a crusade against terrorism and an ultimate attempt to avoid the secession of Chechnya from the federation. The fighting is the worst in the region since Russia's 1994-1996 civil war with Chechnya.

The death toll is certainly in the thousands, including several thousand innocent civilians. As of late November 1999, Russian forces claimed to have killed more than 4,000 rebels while losing 187 soldiers since the offensive began. Chechen officials disputed those figures, saying rebel fighters have suffered minimal losses while killing thousands of Russian troops. They said the heaviest casualties have been among civilians, with nearly 5,000 killed. None of the figures could be independently confirmed, and both sides have tended to exaggerate enemy casualties while minimizing their own. As of early 2000 the Russian side admitted that over 1,100 of its troops had been killed since August 1999, but the Russian Soldiers' Mothers Committee reports 3,000 dead and 6,000 wounded. Estimates of Chechen killed and wounded are far higher, and far less certain. Russian defense officials say at least 10-thousand rebels have died. Chechen sources put the figure at less than half that, but say the number of civilians killed is far higher. The number of internally displaced persons is put at more than 230,000 people. Some were kept from fleeing the fighting when Russian authorities closed the Chechnya-Ingushetia border."
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/chechnya2.htm

How would you suggest the Chechyns fight for their freedom? I agree these acts Terrorism are barbarous, but look at the overall picture - Russia has killed tens of thousands of civilians in it's war in Chechnya since the Soviet Union was disbanded. They not only willingly kill civilians by shelling indiscrimantly, but they won't even let the civilians move out of the target areas before doing so. As a simple matter of perspective - at most a couple of hundred Russian civilians killed vs. so many thousands of Chechyns, I don't see how you can be so outraged by the recent revenge attack but not be outraged by the systemic genocide being carried out by the Russians.

"Atrocities in Chechnya

Since the beginning of the conflict, Russian forces have indiscriminately and disproportionately bombed and shelled civilian objects, causing heavy civilian casualties. The Russian forces have ignored their Geneva convention obligations to focus their attacks on combatants, and appear to take few safeguards to protect civilians: It is this carpet-bombing campaign which has been responsible for the vast majority of civilian deaths in the conflict in Chechnya. The Russian forces have used powerful surface-to surface rockets on numerous occasions, causing death tolls in the hundreds in the Central Market bombing in Grozny and in many smaller towns and villages. Lately, Russian commanders have threatened to use even more powerful explosives, including fuel air explosives which could have a disastrous casualty count if used against civilian targets. The bombing campaign has turned many parts of Chechnya to a wasteland: even the most experienced war reporters I have spoken to told me they have never seen anything in their careers like the destruction of the capital Grozny.

Russian forces have often refused to create safe corridors to allow civilians to leave areas of active fighting, trapping civilians behind front lines for months. The haggard men and women who came out of Grozny after a perilous journey told me of living for months in dark, cold cellars with no water, gas or electricity and limited food: their little children were often in shock, whimpering in the corners of their tents in Ingushetia and screaming in fright whenever Russian war planes flew over, reminding them of the terror in Grozny.

Men especially face grave difficulties when attempting to flee areas of fighting: they are subjected to verbal taunting, extortion, theft, beatings, and arbitrary arrest. On several occasions, refugee convoys have come under intense bombardment by Russian forces, causing heavy casualties. Currently, tens of thousands of civilians remain trapped in the Argun river gorge in Southern Chechnya, stuck behind Russian lines without a way out from the constant bombardment and rapidly running out of food supplies.

For many Chechens, the constant bombardment was only the beginning of the horror. Once they came into contact with Russian forces, they faced even greater dangers. Human Rights Watch has now documented three large-scale massacres by Russian forces in Chechnya. In December, Russian troops killed seventeen civilians in the village of Alkhan-Yurt while going on a looting spree, burning many of the remaining homes and raping several women. We have documented at least fifty murders, mostly of older men and women, by Russian soldiers in the Staropromyslovski district of Grozny since Russian forces took control of that district: innocent civilians shot to death in their homes and their yards. In one case, three generations of the Zubayev family were shot to death in the yard of their home.

On February 5, a few days after Secretary of State Albright met with President Putin in Moscow, Russian forces went on a killing spree in the Aldi district of Grozny, shooting at least sixty-two and possibly many more civilians who were waiting in the street and their yards for soldiers to check their documents. These were entirely preventable deaths, not unavoidable casualties of war. They were acts of murder, plain and simple. Refugees are returning to Grozny to find their relatives or neighbors shot to death in their homes. And most disturbing of all, there is no evidence that the killing spree has stopped."
http://www.hrw.org/campaigns/russia/chechnya/peter-testimony.htm

Again, why is it right that the Chechyns do not have freedom and must live as a sub-state under Russian rule? The only reason Russia wants Chechnya is for it's oil, natural gas, and other mineral resources - and the profits from these resources are being salted away in western banks by individual russians with power. There exists a long history of Russian oppression in this region. The Chechyn's have as much right as anyone else to be free.

So who are the real terrorists here? For it to be terrorism, does it have to have to involve only small isolated attacks of short duration? I don't condone any such indiscrimnate killing, but I think you guys have things backwards as far as Chechnya goes. It is the Russians who instituting a constant war of terror against the Chechin's. The Chechins sometimes reply in kind, but again I think the Chechnyn attacks are more about revenge than terror. If they shot my unarmed family I'd be looking for revenge too - wouldn't you?

You said "Nothing that the Russian government may or may not be doing in Chechnya justifies the cold-blooded, calculated murder of innocents, especially children". Perhaps not, but if anything does, it's the cold blooded calculated killing of innocents on such a scale as the Russians have conducted that might. Why does the Chechyn killing of a few innocent Russians outrage you but the Russian killing of thousands of innocent Chechins doesn't seem to bother you at all?

All I'm saying is please try to look at the whole picture, and decide who is more wrong in this terrible conflict.

Wade.

Semper Fi said:
That's exactly what I thought. Im just waiting for the words from Putin, "America, let's do it!"

So you're saying you want the USA to become a terrorist nation like Russia?

wade said:

You know wade, I do hope that you and those of your ilk continue to think the way you do. That way, we will have the GOP running the house, senate and Presidency for oh, maybe the next 20 years or more.

Thanks for being such an ignorant fool.

freeandfun1 said:
You know wade, I do hope that you and those of your ilk continue to think the way you do. That way, we will have the GOP running the house, senate and Presidency for oh, maybe the next 20 years or more.

Thanks for being such an ignorant fool.

I think Bush will win this election, the economy will go into the shitter (there is no way to avoid the inflation that is comming - no matter who wins), the Iraq war will become a quagmire, and before the end of his term we will suffer another major terrorist attack.

The GOP will run the governemnt for one more session. After that, they will be out on their asses, thoroughly discredited. I fear is that Hillary will be our next president in 2008. She will run on an isolationist platform.

Wade.

wade said:

I agree with ff1. Keep on talking wade, your idiocy only alienates people with sense.

Hey wade. What about the 10 or so arabs who were there? were their brothers and husbands killed by russian oppression? You're silly. This is just part of the global jihad.

wade said:

Jesus Christ, someone slide this guy some more grass.

I'm waiting for Putin to send the words, "America, let's do it!" as in, let's crush terrorism with the might of the two world superpowers. How long did it take you to pass kindergarten?

It is amazing to see someone so indoctrinated in ideology that his responses have become autonomic reflexes which are generated without conscious thought processes.

:cuckoo:

Merlin1047 said:
It is amazing to see someone so indoctrinated in ideology that his responses have become autonomic reflexes which are generated without conscious thought processes.

I agree. These guys don't even bother to dispute the evidence, they just ignore it. I've shown them clearly that Russia is the agressor in the Chechin war, that Russia is by far the greater employer of terror, and that the civilian causalties are slanted thousands of Chechins for every single Russian civilian that has been killed, and that while Chechin terrorist activities are initiated by small unofficial groups, Russias terrorism is state sponsored.

It matters not, they cannot see the truth, they will not consider the issues, they only spout their right-wing diatribe like religion.

COME ON PEOPLE - THINK FOR YOURSELVES!

IF YOU WANT PEACE YOU MUST FIGHT FOR JUSTICE!

Wade.

Forum List

Back