Putin Progessively More Bold and Punative

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I'm not sure he may not find himself in a revolution if he keeps this up:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071125/wl_nm/russia_vote_protest_dc

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    He is becoming, if he isn't already, a dictator. Russia is returning to it's status as a one-party state with Vlad playing Joe Stalin in the re-run.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Definately a case can be made here for 'the right of the people to bear arms...' Seriously though I wonder if he can keep up what is happening?

4. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Do you know I haven't got a clue about firearms ownership in Russia. I've got a book about Soviet law laying around in my little library somewhere but I'm pretty sure it had nothing on firearms and I'm absolutely ignorant of Russian law (on any topic!).

I think Putin has the majority backing him, it's the parliamentary opposition and would-be parties that are taking him on - and not getting anywhere with it. From what I read (and what he hell would I know anyway, I ask myself) he seems to be the consummate populist. Of course he's no Joe Stalin (yet), no Katyn massacre, no starving millions in Ukraine, no Gulags (regular prisons are apparently okay though), no murder of the Cossacks. But give him time.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I don't have stats but I'd believe Russia would NOT have an armed civilian population, just a hunch. ;) Putin hasn't began gulags, yet. His opposition though seems to have problems staying well and free from germs, bullets, etc. In the past 2 days the police have arrested a few hundred protestors against his regime. Free assembly seems to be one of those other rights that's not cool there.

6. Diuretic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    True enough. I'm wondering when he's going to go for Georgia and then start collecting the rest of the old Soviet republics.....

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Both Georgia and the Ukraine worry. They also both have a substantial population that really do not know what to do with the freedoms, problem for Putin, they also now have those that are nearing 20 and have never known differently. There are also those whose minds were never captured, so I guess it may well come down to those that act or don't. My guess, will be bloodier there than the Cold War was.

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,972
    If he invades he will start WW3. It may take a couple countries but it will happen even with a milksop Liberal in the White House and peace freaks in control of Europe. It will be like the 30's, the dumbshits in the west will let him get away with a couple before finally drawing a line and he won't believe them because they let him do it already.

I suspect even China would be uneasy at Russia reclaiming all its supposed lost territory.

9. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,354
    Imo, Putin has his eyes on restoring the Byzantine Empire. He has to step down according to Soviet law regarding his presidency, can't serve more than two terms. However, nothing can stop him from setting out the next term, running in four years, all the while staying in power in parliament. Those ex KGB's don't screw around.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    The world is getting more complex or is it getting simpler?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=502382&in_page_id=1811