Putin Progessively More Bold and Punative

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I'm not sure he may not find himself in a revolution if he keeps this up:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071125/wl_nm/russia_vote_protest_dc

Russian police round up anti-Putin protesters

By Denis Pinchuk1 hour, 59 minutes ago

Russian riot police beat opposition activists on Sunday and detained nearly 200 people at protest rallies against President Vladimir Putin in St Petersburg, Russia's second city.

Riot police also detained Boris Nemtsov and Nikita Belykh, leaders of the Union of Right Forces (SPS) party who are both running in a December 2 parliamentary election. They were later released.

This correspondent saw riot police beating activists with batons and their fists before forcing them into police buses.

Dozens more were detained outside the Winter Palace, the residence of the Tsars, and at another rally in central St Petersburg, Putin's home town.

"They have forbidden us from discussing Putin," Nemtsov told the crowd. "But we have come here today to ask Mr Putin and the authorities why is there so much corruption in the country?"

He was promptly detained by five riot policemen as the crowd chanted "Russia without Putin."

Nemtsov told Reuters his detention was a breach of Russian law which forbids police from detaining candidates.

"Putin has total disregard for the country's constitution and laws," Nemtsov said. "He is afraid the people will find out the truth and so he hides behind the riot police."

About 500 activists made it to the marches but were vastly outnumbered by riot police. Most of those detained were later released, organizers said.

He is becoming, if he isn't already, a dictator. Russia is returning to it's status as a one-party state with Vlad playing Joe Stalin in the re-run.

Definately a case can be made here for 'the right of the people to bear arms...' Seriously though I wonder if he can keep up what is happening?

Do you know I haven't got a clue about firearms ownership in Russia. I've got a book about Soviet law laying around in my little library somewhere but I'm pretty sure it had nothing on firearms and I'm absolutely ignorant of Russian law (on any topic!).

I think Putin has the majority backing him, it's the parliamentary opposition and would-be parties that are taking him on - and not getting anywhere with it. From what I read (and what he hell would I know anyway, I ask myself) he seems to be the consummate populist. Of course he's no Joe Stalin (yet), no Katyn massacre, no starving millions in Ukraine, no Gulags (regular prisons are apparently okay though), no murder of the Cossacks. But give him time.

Do you know I haven't got a clue about firearms ownership in Russia. I've got a book about Soviet law laying around in my little library somewhere but I'm pretty sure it had nothing on firearms and I'm absolutely ignorant of Russian law (on any topic!).

I think Putin has the majority backing him, it's the parliamentary opposition and would-be parties that are taking him on - and not getting anywhere with it. From what I read (and what he hell would I know anyway, I ask myself) he seems to be the consummate populist. Of course he's no Joe Stalin (yet), no Katyn massacre, no starving millions in Ukraine, no Gulags (regular prisons are apparently okay though), no murder of the Cossacks. But give him time.

I don't have stats but I'd believe Russia would NOT have an armed civilian population, just a hunch. ;) Putin hasn't began gulags, yet. His opposition though seems to have problems staying well and free from germs, bullets, etc. In the past 2 days the police have arrested a few hundred protestors against his regime. Free assembly seems to be one of those other rights that's not cool there.

True enough. I'm wondering when he's going to go for Georgia and then start collecting the rest of the old Soviet republics.....

Both Georgia and the Ukraine worry. They also both have a substantial population that really do not know what to do with the freedoms, problem for Putin, they also now have those that are nearing 20 and have never known differently. There are also those whose minds were never captured, so I guess it may well come down to those that act or don't. My guess, will be bloodier there than the Cold War was.

True enough. I'm wondering when he's going to go for Georgia and then start collecting the rest of the old Soviet republics.....

If he invades he will start WW3. It may take a couple countries but it will happen even with a milksop Liberal in the White House and peace freaks in control of Europe. It will be like the 30's, the dumbshits in the west will let him get away with a couple before finally drawing a line and he won't believe them because they let him do it already.

I suspect even China would be uneasy at Russia reclaiming all its supposed lost territory.

Imo, Putin has his eyes on restoring the Byzantine Empire. He has to step down according to Soviet law regarding his presidency, can't serve more than two terms. However, nothing can stop him from setting out the next term, running in four years, all the while staying in power in parliament. Those ex KGB's don't screw around.

The world is getting more complex or is it getting simpler?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ews.html?in_article_id=502382&in_page_id=1811

Putin rival held in psychiatric ward 'to prevent him protesting against government'
Last updated at 01:05am on 15th December 2007

A Russian opposition activist has been sent to a psychiatric hospital by authorities a day before a planned demonstration.

Artem Basyrov's detention is the latest in a series of incidents suggesting a punitive Soviet-era practice is being revived under president Vladimir Putin.

Mr Basyrov, 20, was ordered to be held at a hospital in the central region of Mari El on November 23, a day before planned demonstrations, said Alexander Averin of the opposition National Bolshevik Party.

The party is part of the Other Russia coalition which organised the so-called Dissenters' Marches across the country this year.

Mr Basyrov ran for the local legislature as an Other Russia candidate.

Police who originally detained him claimed he had assaulted a girl.

A local psychiatric board agreed, deciding the activist suffered from a mental illness and he was committed to the psychiatric hospital three weeks ago.

He was only transferred from an isolation ward and allowed to have visitors on Thursday, said Mikhail Klyuzhev, a National Bolshevik member from the city of Yoshkar-Ola.

The allegations against Mr Basyrov were "idiocy" and were "part of the hysteria" before Russia's parliamentary elections which were held on December 2, Mr Klyuzhev added....

Definately a case can be made here for 'the right of the people to bear arms...' Seriously though I wonder if he can keep up what is happening?
When the political opposition is non-existent or jailed, and the media is shut down or killed, then I would guess that he can keep it up for a long time. The FSB is running the show in the new CCCP. Post Putin = more Putin. Diuretic is right, the new Soviet dictatorship has arrived. And the most depressing part is that its ok with the majority of the Russian people.

If we could very significantly cut our consumption of oil and thereby cause a large drop in the price, then Putin's economic underpinning would crumble and his grip would loosen. But such will happen no time soon. The huge price of oil is stuffing Putin's pockets with petro dollars and his economy appears better to the average Russian than did the economy run by the non totalitarian Yeltsin. I think by far the most profound failing of the Bush Admin has been an energy policy that has done next to nothing to reduce American consumption of oil. If I saw a viable energy strategy emerging from any of the Presidential candidates, then I could almost become a single issue voter.

Looks like Putin has chosen his successor:

http://www.kansascity.com/340/story/406608.html
December 16, 2007
One hour ago

Russian President Vladimir Putin has nominated 42-year-old Dmitry Medvedev to succeed him — a move that all but guarantees Medvedev’s victory in the March presidential election.

The choice was something of a surprise. It was followed by a less surprising announcement: Medvedev would like Putin to serve as his prime minister.

If this comes to pass, the Russian hierarchy — or rather, oligarchy — will be shuffled, but in a way that isn’t likely to result in any substantive policy shifts. Putin will remain at the center of power.

Medvedev has been allied with Putin for nearly 20 years. Within Putin’s circle, he is considered more Western-oriented, although in the context of Russian politics that is a relative term.

Medvedev, now a deputy prime minister, also heads the energy giant Gazprom, which in recent months has outraged Russia’s neighbors with hardball rate-increase tactics and service cutbacks.

Russia’s constitution prevents Putin from running for a third term as president. But under the country’s rapidly evolving post-Communist regime, the title he carries probably doesn’t matter much.

Medvedev’s sudden rise is further evidence of Putin’s complete domination of Russian politics. He has stripped away many of the country’s democratic institutions, including the popular election of provincial governors, and effectively re-nationalized many of the country’s businesses.

His foreign policy has become increasingly hostile to the West, and now he has hand-picked his own successor. Russia is a democracy in name only.

Forum List

Back