Put up or shut up!

You seem to have your facts backwards. It's a well-known scientific fact that CO2 and other gases absorb energy in the infra-red range. How would extra retained energy result in lower temps? That seems to violate CofE. What you claim as "SCIENTIFIC FACT" is no more than the opinion of some, with even less actual scientific backing than the theory you're trying to discredit. Nice try, but mere declarations don't cut it. You've proven nothing. At least try to answer a simple question, "where does the energy go, if not to heat the earth?"

Ohh I don't know, perhaps that ICE COLD void that SURROUNDS the Earth?

God, you are that ignorant! That void has neither heat nor cold. That is a property that requires matter.

Apparently you are unaware that space is not empty, and that it does have temperature as a result.

Eddington's Temperature of Space

If you want to prove me wrong we can put you in a life support module aboard a shuttle, supply you with all the food, water, and air you need, and see how long you survive without heat.

The real issue is that you have no knowledge of what you speak. You ignore the result of hundreds of years of scientific thought and philosophical thinking that has been done to derive the scientific method. No one has denied that CO2 is a GHG. We know it is. The question is does it have a measurable effect. All evidence we have shows it is not. There is not one single piece of empirical data that supports your contention. Not one. There are many that support ours. There is a well documented paleoclimate history which supports our contentions.

That is not true for the alarmists side. The alarmists on the other hand must distort the historical temperature record to support their ideas. That is fraud. That is the alarmists legacy...fraud.

Oh come on, Walleyes, the real scientists all disagree with you. Here, again, is the American Institute of Phyics with real scientists explaining the history of the investigations of GHGs, and what we currently know. And none of it agrees with your lies.

The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

Well document paleo-climate can be found here, with a real scientist explaining the current knowledge.

A23A

Now you claim to be a geologist and a member of the AGU, so why aren't you up there, stating why this is not true? Because, if you tried it, you would be laughed off of the stage by the membership of the AGU.

Uhh because the meeting isn't till December you doofus! And I will. And your silly links have allready been disproven on numerous counts. Try again with some real science.

OK. So which lecture will you reply be in?

God, you are that ignorant! That void has neither heat nor cold. That is a property that requires matter.

Apparently you are unaware that space is not empty, and that it does have temperature as a result.

If you want to prove me wrong we can put you in a life support module aboard a shuttle, supply you with all the food, water, and air you need, and see how long you survive without heat.

If the outer skin of the shuttle is perfectly insulative, you will soon have to find a way of shedding heat, as you convert the energy in the food into heat.

And Eddington's temperatures are for the energy that matter in space would recieve from the light of the stars in space. Space, vacuum, has no temperature. The light, energy, passes through without affecting it.

You seem to have your facts backwards. It's a well-known scientific fact that CO2 and other gases absorb energy in the infra-red range. How would extra retained energy result in lower temps? That seems to violate CofE. What you claim as "SCIENTIFIC FACT" is no more than the opinion of some, with even less actual scientific backing than the theory you're trying to discredit. Nice try, but mere declarations don't cut it. You've proven nothing. At least try to answer a simple question, "where does the energy go, if not to heat the earth?"

of course it is..............

Just thought Id bring a tocuh of sobering reality to this philisophical debate..............

SinkingOilShip.jpg

I suggest you actually uhhh do a little research before you make an ass of yourself yet again there olfraud. The temperature of outer space is around 2.725 Kelvin just a tad above Absolute Zero where all atomic movement ceases. This is the Cosmic Background Radiation. Closer to our planets the tmperature rises to around 40 Kelvin, but that is still awful damned cold. So yet again you are wrong.

Fucking dumb, Walleyes, fucking dumb.
How does one determine the temperature of a vacuum?

Question

If temperature is 'The average kinetic energy of particles' (i.e. if you measure the temperature of a cup of water it is the average of all the water molecules in the cup), then how does one determine the temperature of a vacuum? (Division by zero error)

Asked by: Jeff Retty

Answer

One doesn't determine the temperature of a vacuum. Just as 'nothingness' has no color, taste, smell, etc. it also has no temperature. That is because, as you point out in your question, there are no particles whose kinetic energy can be measured or averaged.

Only objects within a vacuum can have a temperature, and that temperature will depend on the balance of incoming and outgoing radiation. Electromagnetic radiation can travel through a vacuum, so objects in space of any temperature above the near absolute zero (0 Kelvin = about -273 deg C.) temperature of cosmic background radiation (which is about 3 Kelvin) will radiate energy into space. Without another source of energy replacing that loss (a nearby Sun, for example) the object's temperature will decrease. That is why you read about 'the coldness of outer space'.

Once again, you ignore what real scientists state.

OOOOOPPPSSS olfraud made a booboo!

He specifically spoke about the space beyond the Earths atmosphere, however, your head is so far in rectal defilade you couldn't understand. Congrats, yet again you prove yourself an imbecile.

The Question
(Submitted March 01, 1998)

All I wanted to ask you is that if we put a thermometer in Space with no other light or heat source around and absolutely no background radiation there, what would it read? Would the temperature be really cold or what?

The Answer
Yes, it would be really cold. Temperature measures the energy per "degree of freedom" (i.e. way something can move) of whatever molecules happen to be around. So, it it becomes so cold that the molecules stop all together, then this is the "absolute zero" temperature. On the Celsius Temperature Scale (i.e. water freezes at 0, and boils at 100) this takes place at -273 degrees C.
We usually use the Kelvin temperature scale, where Zero Kelvin is this "absolute zero" temperature -- or -273 degrees C. Water freezes at +273 Kelvin and water boils at +373 Kelvin.

If we put a thermometer in darkest space, with absolutely nothing around, it would first have to cool off. This might take a very very long time. Once it cooled off, it would read 2.7 Kelvin. This is because of the "3 degree microwave background radiation." No matter where you go, you cannot escape it -- it is always there.

Jonathan Keohane
for Ask an Astrophysicist

Temperature in Space

Last edited:

If the outer skin of the shuttle is perfectly insulative, you will soon have to find a way of shedding heat, as you convert the energy in the food into heat.

And Eddington's temperatures are for the energy that matter in space would recieve from the light of the stars in space. Space, vacuum, has no temperature. The light, energy, passes through without affecting it.

Wrong again bucko, gosh are you ever correct?

If the interior wall of the shuttle locked in all infrared radiation the temp would go up even if we buried in a sold block of ice. Last time I looked nothing like that exists, so the temperature would go down in a vacuum.

Unless you managed to get your vacuum outside the universe it would have a temperature because it is exposed to radiation, and has particles of matter in it, thus giving it a temperature that equals the background radiation of the universe.

For both of you dingbats, the question was what was the temperature of space. Matter within space has a temperture, but space does not. It is neither hot nor cold. Those are properties of matter. The thermometer is matter, the particles mentioned are matter. Space is not matter, it cannot be either hot or cold.

For both of you dingbats, the question was what was the temperature of space. Matter within space has a temperture, but space does not. It is neither hot nor cold. Those are properties of matter. The thermometer is matter, the particles mentioned are matter. Space is not matter, it cannot be either hot or cold.

Nice try.

So the answer really depends on what you mean by vacuum. If you mean what’s left when all the atoms etc. are pumped out, yes it still has a temperature of electromagnetic radiation. If you want, though, you could choose to only call that a vacuum if the temperature is zero. By the way, the third law of thermodynamics says nothing can ever get to zero temperature, so by that definition there wouldn’t be any vacuums.

Ask the Van - Illinois Dept. of Physics

As I said before, the only way to get a real vacuum is go outside the universe, because the laws of this universe make it impossible to achieve.

Nice try.

So the answer really depends on what you mean by vacuum. If you mean what’s left when all the atoms etc. are pumped out, yes it still has a temperature of electromagnetic radiation. If you want, though, you could choose to only call that a vacuum if the temperature is zero. By the way, the third law of thermodynamics says nothing can ever get to zero temperature, so by that definition there wouldn’t be any vacuums.

As I said before, the only way to get a real vacuum is go outside the universe, because the laws of this universe make it impossible to achieve.

Being that the Universe is growing because of the big bang, but my question is what is the temperature of the area outside of the Universe? Any science or theory's on that?

Nice try.

Being that the Universe is growing because of the big bang, but my question is what is the temperature of the area outside of the Universe? Any science or theory's on that?

Once you get outside the universe you enter into the realm of science fiction. Multiple universes, planes of existence, all things are possible. In short there is no science but a lot of imagination beyond the bounds of physical reality.

Nice try.

Quite a few actually, none of them make much sense though.

'Oldsocks' still as abusive as ever I see, still as frustrated and full of frenzied petulance with all who don't have your AGW religions faith ! Priceless.
You still have not attempted to challenge, whats wrong, is it a cat/tongue thing or can you only abuse or just too gutless?
So Oldie, according to the most hyperbolic AGW estimates, ALL CO2 since 1850 is attributable to man, the IPCC says only 4- 5 % but lets go with the lunatic fringe and say its all evil mans doing.
So that makes it 288 parts per million in 1850 increasing to 385 ppm in 2010, so lets round it off again in your favour to be 100 ppm or 10 parts of mans CO2 to every 100,000 other atmospheric parts, agreed ?Or if you like, one lousy molecule of dastardly industrial CO2 for every ten thousand other parts, agreed ?
Now considering that H2O is a far more powerful Greenhouse gas and has at least 400 parts in that ten thousand, how does that one single CO2 molecule dominate the H2O and actually drive climate warming ?
Remember the absurd AGW hypothesis states our emissions DRIVE the warming, so how does the one weaker molecule overcome the 400 stronger ones and dictate climate ?

You believe that at best, One part per CO2 per 10,000 drives a vast climate system eh ?

And you think I am the lunatic ?

If it walks like a duck....let's face it, if one wants to believe anything at all, there is no convincing argument. Why not take care of our 'Mother' and not argue over personal beliefs that exist inside heads.

"We challenged two leading British scientists to try to prove the science of global warming to a group of people whose views very loosely reflect national opinions.

And, as if that wasn't tough enough we asked them to do it in my kitchen.

Can they do it? Well, you can see for yourself."

BBC - Ethical Man blog: In praise of scepticism

IPCC - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

400,000 year view global warming

James Balog: Time-lapse proof of extreme ice loss | Video on TED.com

If it walks like a duck....let's face it, if one wants to believe anything at all, there is no convincing argument. Why not take care of our 'Mother' and not argue over personal beliefs that exist inside heads.

"We challenged two leading British scientists to try to prove the science of global warming to a group of people whose views very loosely reflect national opinions.

Did they try to win the reward in the OP?

Did they try to win the reward in the OP?

Nope!

Forum List

Back