Put this in your first amendment and smoke it.

After authorities threatened arrests last week if the congregation lit up during the service, church founder and longtime marijuana advocate Bill Levin decided to keep pot out of Wednesday’s meeting. He says he wants to ensure that he can test the religious objections law in civil court rather than on criminal grounds. Mr. Levin serves as the “minister of love” of the church and also refers to himself as the “grand poobah,” a reference the character the Lord-High-Everything-Else from Gilbert and Sullivan's opera "The Mikado."

As I've said before, I believe its important to push the edge of the envelope concerning the First Amendment.

If a bunch of nutters can say they're a church while they wait to be sucked up to heaven, why not a church to worship pot?

We've already got a religion that worships peyote.

After authorities threatened arrests last week if the congregation lit up during the service, church founder and longtime marijuana advocate Bill Levin decided to keep pot out of Wednesday’s meeting. He says he wants to ensure that he can test the religious objections law in civil court rather than on criminal grounds. Mr. Levin serves as the “minister of love” of the church and also refers to himself as the “grand poobah,” a reference the character the Lord-High-Everything-Else from Gilbert and Sullivan's opera "The Mikado."

As I've said before, I believe its important to push the edge of the envelope concerning the First Amendment.

If a bunch of nutters can say they're a church while they wait to be sucked up to heaven, why not a church to worship pot?

We've already got a religion that worships peyote.

Yep. And we've got "protected classes" for a wide variety of interest groups. Pushing the envelope may be the very best way to underscore the folly of corporatism.

This should be a good test of our principles and practices regarding religious freedom. Or expose a little hypocrisy at least.

Holy smokes Indiana Church of Cannabis holds first service video - CSMonitor.com

Considering I think pot should be legal anyway, using Religion as an end run is moot for me.

Except I don't think that's what's going on here. This is a test of the RFRA nonsense. It's a challenge to the inverted logic of the modern conception of freedom of religion.

Forum List

Back