Purple Hull Peas

You boil them like you would red beans or white beans or chili. Add bacon or a meaty ham hock for flavor.

FYI: Purple hull peas were bred/created at LSU. They're purple by design. They're good climbers and make lovely flowers.

You boil them like you would red beans or white beans or chili. Add bacon or a meaty ham hock for flavor.

FYI: Purple hull peas were bred/created at LSU. They're purple by design. They're good climbers and make lovely flowers.

So are they dried?

Purple peas all in my brain
Lately vegetables just don't seem the same
Actin' runny but I don't know why
'Scuse me, but I got broccoli.....

I ran a search and came up with a band. :tongue:

So are they dried?

If so, hydrate them first like dried pinto (or any other bean) beans. If canned, add as is. If fresh, VICTORY!

Mash a few peas when stirring to thicken. With rice, it is a superfood.

I generally prefer yellow eyed peas but they are all more or less the same as black eyed peas.

I generally prefer yellow eyed peas but they are all more or less the same as black eyed peas.

Well, if they taste anything like black eyed peas then I don't want anything to do with them.

You guys ever heard of these? How do you cook them?

Wait...you've never heard of purple hull peas?

Never. For the life of me, I can't remember ever seeing a can in a store. AND I live in the land of pots of beans (albeit pinto beans) on a stove is the norm.

upload_2018-2-14_7-52-31.png

Well, if they taste anything like black eyed peas then I don't want anything to do with them.

They don't exactly taste the same. I find peas to have an unpleasant texture and gritty on the pallet. When I eat them, however, I go with yellow eyed, usually in the form of traditional Hoppin John.

Forum List

Back