Purely Hypothetical

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
My question to those on the right who support Palin/McCain: Would you support banning books in public libraries based on my religious or a mayor's religious beliefs?

WASILLA, Alaska - The McCain campaign is defending Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's much-criticized inquiry into banning books at her hometown library, saying her questions were only hypothetical.

Shortly after taking office in 1996 as mayor of Wasilla, a city of about 7,000 people, Palin asked the city's head librarian about banning books. Later, the librarian was notified by Palin that she was being fired, although Palin backed off under pressure.

Palin alleged attempt at book-banning has been a matter of intense interest since Republican presidential nominee John McCain named her as his running mate last month.

Taylor Griffin, a spokesman for the McCain campaign, said Thursday that Palin asked the head librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, on three occasions how she would react to attempts at banning books. He said the questions, in the fall of 1996, were hypothetical and entirely appropriate. He said a patron had asked the library to remove a title the year before and the mayor wanted to understand how such disputes were handled.

Records on the city's Web site, however, do not show any books were challenged in Wasilla in the 10 years before Palin took office.

Palin notified Emmons she would be fired in January 1997 because the mayor didn't feel she had the librarian's "full support." (Full support from the town librarian. What the hell does that mean? A bully in a skirt is still a bully.) Emmons was reinstated the next day after public outcry, according to newspaper reports at the time.

GOP campaign downplays Palin book-banning inquiry - Yahoo! News

My question to those on the right who support Palin/McCain: Would you support banning books in public libraries based on my religious or a mayor's religious beliefs?

GOP campaign downplays Palin book-banning inquiry - Yahoo! News

In other words, Palin did not try to ban any books and this is just the usual spin from one of the koolaid gang.

Your question is definitely contrived and attempting to force a black or white only issue when it's one for the gray area, and has nothing to do with supporting McCain/Palin and/or banning books in public libraries based on your or the mayor's religious beliefs.

There is literature inappropriate for public libraries.

What would REALLY be scarier than anything else as far as this concerned is if books were banned in libraries based on YOUR political beliefs.

The right has always opposed thought. Human Events actually ran a list of books that were too controversial for them. The list included classics and books that helped people-kind more that human events ever will. Today you see revisionist historians funded by corporate think tanks rewriting history. They particularly dislike, the McCarthy era, the banning of dangerous insecticides, anthropology, and regulatory infrastructure.

America for Dummies: A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote to sanction book banning and creationism as science.

There is literature inappropriate for public libraries.

I agree. But who decides that based on their religious beliefs? The mayor? The townspeople? Dick Chainey?

It is a valid point. She was going to fire a frigging librarian for not giving her full support. What does that mean? It sounds a little too much like a control freak who makes people sign loyalty oaths to them personally.

I'll venture to guess that nobody will come out in support of banning books.

They're gladly vote for someone else to do that for them, but they won't admit that they like it.

The right has always opposed thought. Human Events actually ran a list of books that were too controversial for them. The list included classics and books that helped people-kind more that human events ever will. Today you see revisionist historians funded by corporate think tanks rewriting history. They particularly dislike, the McCarthy era, the banning of dangerous insecticides, anthropology, and regulatory infrastructure.

America for Dummies: A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote to sanction book banning and creationism as science.

And another wingnut chimes in. There's a difference between thought and trash.

The only revisions of history I've seen have been from leftnuts like you. You and the extremist BS you believe and spew are a perfect example of being indoctrinated by the drivel.

I agree. But who decides that based on their religious beliefs? The mayor? The townspeople? Dick Chainey?

It is a valid point. She was going to fire a frigging librarian for not giving her full support. What does that mean? It sounds a little too much like a control freak who makes people sign loyalty oaths to them personally.

Tell me who WOULDN'T decide that based on their BELIEFS, period? No such person exists.

Sounds like she was going to get rid of someone who may have reflected the previous Governor's beliefs but not hers. Politics as usual.

She was the mayor and was going to fire the librarian who didn't give her full support.]

You are in denial Gunny. What the hell is full support from a librarian.

Do you agree that she should have all her staff sign a loyalty oath to her?

That's not leadership, that dictatorship.

Forum List

Back