Puncturing Another Progressive Myth

Another profound post by PC. Imagine if you had to make an economic argument. You would be TOAST.

PC is zero for 30,974 so far. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a cogent argument from PC on any topic, not just economics. Her grasp of history is even worse. Add to that the fact she can't write.

Its always the same - the long and disjointed OP shredded by those who can actually read and think, followed by pages of childish name calling.

Why do some rw's work so hard to keep others down?

1. The only thing you've ever shredded is lettuce.

2. Liberal policies that encourage the behaviors that cause and maintain poverty are what 'keeps people down.'

3. Let's see you shred this, you moron:

The government conducted a study, 1971-1978 known as the Seattle-Denver Income Maintenance Experiment, or SIME-DIME, in which low income families were give a guaranteed income, a welfare package with everything liberal policy makers could hope for. Result: for every dollar of extra welfare given, low income recipients reduced their labor by 80 cents.
http://www.policyarchive.org/handle/10207/bitstreams/12794.pdf

[The results for husbands show that the combination of negative income tax plans tested in SIME/DIME — which represents on average a relatively generous cash transfer program with a guarantee of 115% of the poverty line and a tax rate of 50% — has a significant negative effect on hours worked per year.
]Overview of the Final Report of the SIME/DIME: Report

a. Further results: dissolution of families: “This conclusion was unambiguously unfavorable to advocates of a negative income tax that would cover married couples, for two important reasons.
First, increased
marital breakups among the poor would increase the numbers on
welfare and the amount of transfer payments, principally because the
separated wife and children would receive higher transfer payments.
Second, marital dissolutions and the usual accompanying absence of
fathers from households with children are generally considered unfavorable outcomes regardless of whether or not the welfare rolls increase.” http://www.bos.frb.org/economic/conf/conf30/conf30c.pdf

b. “When families received guaranteed income at 90% of the poverty level, there was a 43% increase in black family dissolution and a 63% increase in white family dissolution. At 125% of the poverty levels, dissolutions were 75% and 40%.”
Robert B. Carleson, “Government Is The Problem,” p. 57.

More proof that you are a moron:

4. The colloquial use of “poverty” implies a material deprivation, which hardly exists. But this is not to say that a poverty of social conditions does not exist, and this cannot be remedied with money.
In fact, the root cause of this poverty is the perverse, counterproductive incentives arising from the welfare system itself.

Charles Murray’s “Losing Ground” documented this effect using social indicators such as work, marriage, legitimacy, crime, and alcohol and drug abuse, and showing how the massive increase in government welfare programs worsened the problem.

Over and over, proof that Liberal policies are the cause of the problem, not the solutions.

How very libertarian of him!

HOW DARE THOSE POOR PEOPLE ENJOY A BETTER LIFER THAN THEY DID IN 1970! SHAME ON THEM!

AND HOW DARE THEY HAVE FANCY NICETIES LIFER REFRIGERATORS AND STOVES!!!

HOW DARE THEY!

The whole article went way over your head. Nice try though.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

Last edited:
I get such a kick out of Donald J. Boudreaux, professor of economics at George Mason University!

He regularly writes a letter to the editor of a major American publication in response to an absurdity, or an incorrect statement, offered up by a columnist or politician, and the following, totally skewers one of our Liberal White House hacks.

Here is one of Boudreaux's missives:

Editor, Washington Post
1150 15th St., NW
Washington, DC 20071

Dear Editor:

You report that Jason Furman, Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors, recently “displayed a chart showing how food stamps and other social programs had lowered poverty dramatically over the past half century.... But the graph also showed that the economy itself had done nothing for the poor: Only government dollars had” (“Economist Jason Furman is the wonkiest wonk in the White House,” Feb. 13).

.... Mr. Furman is mistaken to assert that, over the past half century, “the economy itself had done nothing for the poor.”

Here’s a link to a 2008 article with its own charts.... shows that the percentage of poor American households in 2005 to have refrigerators, stoves, color televisions, air conditioning, and automatic dishwashers is higher than was the percentage of all American households in 1971 to have these amenities. And my own research suggests an important reason for this happy fact: the amount of time that ordinary (“non-supervisory”) workers must work in order to earn enough income to buy these (and many other) products is today is much lower than it was decades ago.

[link here: http://www.american.com/archive/2008/july-august-magazine-contents/how-are-we-doing/]

For example, to buy a 22 cubic feet refrigerator-freezer, such a worker in 1975 had to toil for 140 hours. To buy the same size refrigerator-freezer today, the typical American worker must work only 52 hours. To buy a 30” electric range and oven cost the typical American worker in 1975 125 hours of work; today such a range and oven costs the typical American worker only 21 hours of work.

Similar reductions in work-time costs have occurred for food, clothing, and countless other goods and services — a trend that is strong evidence that “the economy itself” continues to improve the living standards of middle-income and poor Americans.

Sincerely,
Donald J. Boudreaux
Professor of Economics
and
Martha and Nelson Getchell Chair for the Study of Free Market Capitalism at the Mercatus Center
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA 22030
Nothing? Nothing At All?

"....strong evidence that “the economy itself” continues to improve the living standards of middle-income and poor Americans."

So much for the 'poor are getting poorer' trope.

I know that the above won't convince our Liberal pals......facts never do.
I don't know who is more stupid, the author for assuming the poor buy all those appliances, the poor are mostly renters so it is the landlords who are buying the appliances, or you for swallowing it without thinking.

Hey....I can help you....I know who is more stupid: you are!

46 percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio. Poor Politics | National Review Online

Now, you may retreat to the "46%" still leaves 'mostly'....but that would be a quibble.

The truth is that you were implying that more is almost all.....weren't you.

Not knowing the above isn't what makes you stupid....

....it's the fact that you and I both know that, having been so informed, you will continue to post the drivel that you do.
Geez, you have to go back to 2007, before the Bush housing crash, and even then you come up short. In 2011, 62.2% in poverty were renters and 35.3% were owners.

I don't know who is more stupid, the author for assuming the poor buy all those appliances, the poor are mostly renters so it is the landlords who are buying the appliances, or you for swallowing it without thinking.

46 percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio. Poor Politics | National Review Online

Now, you may retreat to the "46%" still leaves 'mostly'....but that would be a quibble.

....it's the fact that you and I both know that, having been so informed, you will continue to post the drivel that you do.
Geez, you have to go back to 2007, before the Bush housing crash, and even then you come up short. In 2011, 62.2% in poverty were renters and 35.3% were owners.

"....before the Bush housing crash,..."

Surely you mean the Democrat Mortgage Meltdown....

1. Democrat FDR shredded the Constitution....ignoring article I, section 8, the enumerated powers.
He created GSE's Fannie and Freddie to do something the Constitution didn't authorize: meddle in housing.

2. Democrat Carter....the CRA, constraining banking policy

3. Democrat Clinton....strengthened the CRA
Under Clinton, HUD threatened banks, again, to give unrequited loans.
Henchmen: Democrats Cisneros and Cuomo.

4. Democrats Frank and Dodd barred any governmental discipline in this area.

One more example of the catastrophic results of following Democrat policies.

"....before the Bush housing crash,..."

Surely you mean the Democrat Mortgage Meltdown....

1. Democrat FDR shredded the Constitution....ignoring article I, section 8, the enumerated powers.
He created GSE's Fannie and Freddie to do something the Constitution didn't authorize: meddle in housing.

2. Democrat Carter....the CRA, constraining banking policy

3. Democrat Clinton....strengthened the CRA
Under Clinton, HUD threatened banks, again, to give unrequited loans.
Henchmen: Democrats Cisneros and Cuomo.

4. Democrats Frank and Dodd barred any governmental discipline in this area.

One more example of the catastrophic results of following Democrat policies.
One more example of pure bullshit! the CFR had nothing to do with the Bush housing crash. Bush's programs to put 5.5 million minorities in their own home by the end of the decade, even if they had bad credit, is what killed the housing market.

How could 2 members of the minority block anything?

In fact, a reform bill passed the House over Frank's objections and the GOP Senate majority refused to bring it up for a vote, killing it in committee. As always the GOP only talked reform but did the exact opposite! Once the Dems took over in 2007 they PASSED a housing reform bill that Obama SIGNED.

But nice attempted diversion though!

PC is zero for 30,974 so far. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a cogent argument from PC on any topic, not just economics. Her grasp of history is even worse. Add to that the fact she can't write.

Its always the same - the long and disjointed OP shredded by those who can actually read and think, followed by pages of childish name calling.

2. Liberal policies that encourage the behaviors that cause and maintain poverty are what 'keeps people down.'

The government conducted a study, 1971-1978 known as the Seattle-Denver Income Maintenance Experiment, or SIME-DIME, in which low income families were give a guaranteed income, a welfare package with everything liberal policy makers could hope for. Result: for every dollar of extra welfare given, low income recipients reduced their labor by 80 cents.

[The results for husbands show that the combination of negative income tax plans tested in SIME/DIME — which represents on average a relatively generous cash transfer program with a guarantee of 115% of the poverty line and a tax rate of 50% — has a significant negative effect on hours worked per year.

a. Further results: dissolution of families: “This conclusion was unambiguously unfavorable to advocates of a negative income tax that would cover married couples, for two important reasons.
First, increased
fathers from households with children are generally considered unfavorable outcomes regardless of whether or not the welfare rolls increase.” http://www.bos.frb.org/economic/conf/conf30/conf30c.pdf

b. “When families received guaranteed income at 90% of the poverty level, there was a 43% increase in black family dissolution and a 63% increase in white family dissolution. At 125% of the poverty levels, dissolutions were 75% and 40%.”

4. The colloquial use of “poverty” implies a material deprivation, which hardly exists. But this is not to say that a poverty of social conditions does not exist, and this cannot be remedied with money.
In fact, the root cause of this poverty is the perverse, counterproductive incentives arising from the welfare system itself.

Charles Murray’s “Losing Ground” documented this effect using social indicators such as work, marriage, legitimacy, crime, and alcohol and drug abuse, and showing how the massive increase in government welfare programs worsened the problem.

Over and over, proof that Liberal policies are the cause of the problem, not the solutions.
Wow. Look at this. PC starts things out with a STUDY. An actual STUDY. PC never uses impartial studies. Let's check it out. I am sure it is impartial. Not out of the bat shit crazy con web sites she normally frequents. So, who is the author, Robert E. Rector? Why, here we go:
Robert Rector, a leading authority on poverty, welfare programs and immigration in America for three decades, is The Heritage Foundation’s senior research fellow in domestic policy.
Robert Rector
What a surprise. I am so dissapointed in you, PC. I do not use sources like moveon, but you use the far right wing bat shit crazy sites like Heritage. Wasting my time again. And, a study produced by them, based on data from 45 years ago. Tacky, me dear. Another cut and paste job from the bat shit crazy con sites.

Then you refference a Robert B. Carlson. Who would that be. Not another con from yet another bat shit crazy con web site, I hope. You must have SOME integrity. Let's see:
Robert B. Carleson (1931-2006) was a key policy advisor on welfare issues to Ronald Reagan in California and the White House; he also founded a conservative alternative to the American Civil Liberties Union called the American Civil Rights Union in 1998.
Robert B. Carleson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Damn. I am so surprised. Another conservative, this one from the Ronald Reagan school of economic thought, as far right as possible. And here I was hoping that PC would show some integrity. But, alas, that hope was dashed again. Simply wasting my time.

Then, you top it off with a quote by Charles Murray. Must be an impartial source. Let's see:
Charles Alan Murray (born 1943) is an American libertarian political scientist, author, columnist, and pundit currently working as a fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Murray_(author)
Wow. Can you believe it. PC is, if anything, consistent. You do keep your head in the bat shit crazy con web sites. Nothing impartial about you, PC. Just consistent con drivel. Cut and paste, cut and paste, cut and paste. And waste people's time.

Wow. Can you believe it. PC is, if anything, consistent. You do keep your head in the bat shit crazy con web sites. Nothing impartial about you, PC. Just consistent con drivel. Cut and paste, cut and paste, cut and paste. And waste people's time.
Look who's talking. You didn't address the content, your response was purely character assassination. And then you're going to complain about a bias?

Look who's talking. You didn't address the content, your response was purely character assassination. And then you're going to complain about a bias?
Well, me poor ignorant boy, IF PC used a source that was impartial, I would address the subject of the article. But, me boy, and listen carefully, there was no impartial data. Just dogma. Presented as actual pertinent findings.
So, I could address the "study". Question is WHY? It is simply a waste of time. Like someone going out and finding a biased article from, say, moveon. And wasting your time. But then, since I have integrity, I do not. Integrity. Look it up, me boy. It is that thing that PC, and you, have none of.
And, me boy, it is not character assassination by me. It is simply PC assassinating her own character. Which you would understand if you had character. Or, integrity.

Last edited:
Well, me poor ignorant boy, IF PC used a source that was impartial, I would address the subject of the article. But, me boy, and listen carefully, there was no impartial data. Just dogma. Presented as actual pertinent findings.
So, I could address the "study". Question is WHY? It is simply a waste of time. Like someone going out and finding a biased article from, say, moveon. And wasting your time. But then, since I have integrity, I do not. Integrity. Look it up, me boy. It is that thing that PC, and you, have none of.
And, me boy, it is not character assassination by me. It is simply PC assassinating her own character. Which you would understand if you had character. Or, integrity.

The above: An example of satire.

Look it up, worm......

....you might move up in the world....become a book worm!

First, increased

Wow. Look at this. PC starts things out with a STUDY. An actual STUDY. PC never uses impartial studies. Let's check it out. I am sure it is impartial. Not out of the bat shit crazy con web sites she normally frequents. So, who is the author, Robert E. Rector? Why, here we go:

What a surprise. I am so dissapointed in you, PC. I do not use sources like moveon, but you use the far right wing bat shit crazy sites like Heritage. Wasting my time again. And, a study produced by them, based on data from 45 years ago. Tacky, me dear. Another cut and paste job from the bat shit crazy con sites.

Then you refference a Robert B. Carlson. Who would that be. Not another con from yet another bat shit crazy con web site, I hope. You must have SOME integrity. Let's see:
Robert B. Carleson (1931-2006) was a key policy advisor on welfare issues to Ronald Reagan in California and the White House; he also founded a conservative alternative to the American Civil Liberties Union called the American Civil Rights Union in 1998.
Robert B. Carleson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Damn. I am so surprised. Another conservative, this one from the Ronald Reagan school of economic thought, as far right as possible. And here I was hoping that PC would show some integrity. But, alas, that hope was dashed again. Simply wasting my time.

Then, you top it off with a quote by Charles Murray. Must be an impartial source. Let's see:
Charles Alan Murray (born 1943) is an American libertarian political scientist, author, columnist, and pundit currently working as a fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank.

Unlike you, a worm, everyone noted is a respected expert in the field.

And that is exactly why the OP is unassailable......as you found.

First, increased

That would be your opinion, me girl. And you know how much I respect your opinion.
Perhaps you just do not know what impartial means. Perhaps if you looked it up. Really, taking studies from well known conservative sources like aei and heritage, and a quote from a policy adviser for ronnie hardly count as impartial or unassailable. Cmon, me girl, just does not pass the giggle test. Hardly unassailable. Perhaps you meant to say highly assailable!!
But no big deal. Just par for the case for you, just like your typical post.

That would be your opinion, me girl. And you know how much I respect your opinion.
Perhaps you just do not know what impartial means. Perhaps if you looked it up. Really, taking studies from well known conservative sources like aei and heritage, and a quote from a policy adviser for ronnie hardly count as impartial or unassailable. Cmon, me girl, just does not pass the giggle test. Hardly unassailable. Perhaps you meant to say highly assailable!!

"That would be your opinion,..."

No, actually, it is reality, worm.

If you care to continue with the attempt to marginalize any voices that don't conform to the Liberal view, i.e., that speak the truth.....

....how about you find any reputable sources that agree with your slander of the links in my post.

After you can't do so.....

....consider suttee....

Was that supposed to look smart?

If you care to continue with the attempt to marginalize any voices that don't conform to the Liberal view, i.e., that speak the truth.....

....how about you find any reputable sources that agree with your slander of the links in my post.

....consider suttee....
Only you, and a few of your like minded con tools, believe in the use of totaly partial sites like the bat shit crazy web sites like aei and heritage, to prove anything. Sorry, me dear, useing a 1970's study by aei is desperate.
Relative to the rest, I will do what all rational people do, which is to ignore your drivel. How about you try using impartial sources like an actual rational human being. I know you are not paid to do so, which, me dear, makes you irrelivent.

....consider suttee....
Only you, and a few of your like minded con tools, believe in the use of totaly partial sites like the bat shit crazy web sites like aei and heritage, to prove anything. Sorry, me dear, useing a 1970's study by aei is desperate.
Relative to the rest, I will do what all rational people do, which is to ignore your drivel. How about you try using impartial sources like an actual rational human being. I know you are not paid to do so, which, me dear, makes you irrelivent.

So much fun skewering you....

..here, let's do it again:

"....how about you find any reputable sources that agree with your slander of the links in my post."

Dunce.

....consider suttee....

"....how about you find any reputable sources that agree with your slander of the links in my post."

Dunce.
Not only are you immaterial, but numb. That is you that you are skewering.
Nah. Lets just let you produce more right wing bat shit sites as references. Pretty soon it will be kind of like fox news on this site. Perfect for cons like you, me dear, who live in a constant world of right wing propaganda. The rest of us can continue to simply ignore you, since you are, after all, irrelevant.

Dunce.
Not only are you immaterial, but numb. That is you that you are skewering.
Nah. Lets just let you produce more right wing bat shit sites as references. Pretty soon it will be kind of like fox news on this site. Perfect for cons like you, me dear, who live in a constant world of right wing propaganda. The rest of us can continue to simply ignore you, since you are, after all, irrelevant.

"Lets just let you produce more right wing bat shit sites as references..."

Watch your language.

Twice I've given you the opportunity to provide any support for your drivel....

...but, with the NYTimes, WaPo, HuffPo, etc. available to you.....

...you still couldn't.

Why?

Not just because you are a dunce, but because you are a liar.

My sources are reputable, expert, and dispositive.

You, on the other hand, a Jay Leno punch line.

The only way for you to prevent the laughter.....as I suggested....is suttee.

I'll be glad to light the pyre! The 'worm roast!'

Is tomorrow good for you?

PC says:

...you still couldn't

Why?
It is not that I could not, but rather that I would not. Why would I argue what is being said by sources that are obviously agenda driven, posted by a paid tool who is agenda driven, causing me to use my time to find data about nonsense posted by right wing sources. You see, me poor ignorant tool, you do not pay me to educate you or to spend my time vetting already well known agenda driven sites to whom truth is an afterthought. The fact that you use AEI, Heritage, and a Reagan official simply shows that you have no integrity.
Think Tank Spectrum Revisited ? FAIR

So, you use the two most conservative sites in the country and a Reagan official as your ONLY sources. You could have used the NY Times, or Wn. Post, or perhaps a quote from Brookings, a site rated as centrist by FAIR.

First, me dear, sources are not dispositive. They may make dispositive pronouncements, given suffieient authority, but they themselves are not dispositive. And your sources are not reputable. Nor expert. They are, however, agenda driven and known to produce information that is untrue. Here is an actual impartial source, called Fairness and Accuracy In Rporting (FAIR). Conservatives tend to pretend the site does not exist. I am sure you are aware of it. So, how do your two sources stack up? Heritage is the number one conservative site. AEI is number two. And, even a tool like you knows that if you take a quote from a Reagan administration official, you have a quote from a highly conservative source.
If you use think tanks, you have more centrist than either conservative or progressive sites to chose from. Funny you never use them. Brookings Institution is the number one think tank over all, and the only one with more activity than aei or heritage. And it is centrist. Yet you use the con sites. Which is no surprise.
Because, me dear, using impartial sources is a sign of integrity. And you have none.

Last edited:
I get such a kick out of Donald J. Boudreaux, professor of economics at George Mason University!

He regularly writes a letter to the editor of a major American publication in response to an absurdity, or an incorrect statement, offered up by a columnist or politician, and the following, totally skewers one of our Liberal White House hacks.

Here is one of Boudreaux's missives:

Editor, Washington Post
1150 15th St., NW
Washington, DC 20071

Dear Editor:

You report that Jason Furman, Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors, recently “displayed a chart showing how food stamps and other social programs had lowered poverty dramatically over the past half century.... But the graph also showed that the economy itself had done nothing for the poor: Only government dollars had” (“Economist Jason Furman is the wonkiest wonk in the White House,” Feb. 13).

.... Mr. Furman is mistaken to assert that, over the past half century, “the economy itself had done nothing for the poor.”

Here’s a link to a 2008 article with its own charts.... shows that the percentage of poor American households in 2005 to have refrigerators, stoves, color televisions, air conditioning, and automatic dishwashers is higher than was the percentage of all American households in 1971 to have these amenities. And my own research suggests an important reason for this happy fact: the amount of time that ordinary (“non-supervisory”) workers must work in order to earn enough income to buy these (and many other) products is today is much lower than it was decades ago.

[link here: http://www.american.com/archive/2008/july-august-magazine-contents/how-are-we-doing/]

For example, to buy a 22 cubic feet refrigerator-freezer, such a worker in 1975 had to toil for 140 hours. To buy the same size refrigerator-freezer today, the typical American worker must work only 52 hours. To buy a 30” electric range and oven cost the typical American worker in 1975 125 hours of work; today such a range and oven costs the typical American worker only 21 hours of work.

Similar reductions in work-time costs have occurred for food, clothing, and countless other goods and services — a trend that is strong evidence that “the economy itself” continues to improve the living standards of middle-income and poor Americans.

Sincerely,
Donald J. Boudreaux
Professor of Economics
and
Martha and Nelson Getchell Chair for the Study of Free Market Capitalism at the Mercatus Center
George Mason University
Fairfax, VA 22030
Nothing? Nothing At All?

"....strong evidence that “the economy itself” continues to improve the living standards of middle-income and poor Americans."

So much for the 'poor are getting poorer' trope.

I know that the above won't convince our Liberal pals......facts never do.

How very libertarian of him!

HOW DARE THOSE POOR PEOPLE ENJOY A BETTER LIFER THAN THEY DID IN 1970! SHAME ON THEM!

AND HOW DARE THEY HAVE FANCY NICETIES LIFER REFRIGERATORS AND STOVES!!!

HOW DARE THEY!

If they've been living off my paycheck since 1970 - you're damn fucking straighht HOW DARE THEY !

PC says:

...you still couldn't

Why?
It is not that I could not, but rather that I would not. Why would I argue what is being said by sources that are obviously agenda driven, posted by a paid tool who is agenda driven, causing me to use my time to find data about nonsense posted by right wing sources. You see, me poor ignorant tool, you do not pay me to educate you or to spend my time vetting already well known agenda driven sites to whom truth is an afterthought. The fact that you use AEI, Heritage, and a Reagan official simply shows that you have no integrity.
Think Tank Spectrum Revisited ? FAIR

So, you use the two most conservative sites in the country and a Reagan official as your ONLY sources. You could have used the NY Times, or Wn. Post, or perhaps a quote from Brookings, a site rated as centrist by FAIR.

First, me dear, sources are not dispositive. They may make dispositive pronouncements, given suffieient authority, but they themselves are not dispositive. And your sources are not reputable. Nor expert. They are, however, agenda driven and known to produce information that is untrue. Here is an actual impartial source, called Fairness and Accuracy In Rporting (FAIR). Conservatives tend to pretend the site does not exist. I am sure you are aware of it. So, how do your two sources stack up? Heritage is the number one conservative site. AEI is number two. And, even a tool like you knows that if you take a quote from a Reagan administration official, you have a quote from a highly conservative source.
If you use think tanks, you have more centrist than either conservative or progressive sites to chose from. Funny you never use them. Brookings Institution is the number one think tank over all, and the only one with more activity than aei or heritage. And it is centrist. Yet you use the con sites. Which is no surprise.
Because, me dear, using impartial sources is a sign of integrity. And you have none.

"It is not that I could not,...."

Yeah, it is.

You have proven to be, and will remain, a lying, sniveling, worm.

Time for you to crawl back to the dumpster.

Forum List

Back