Pumpkins

syrenn

Rookie
May 10, 2010
I was wondering what pumpkins are going to in your areas. Ive always been curious about this. Here in San Fransisco large pumpkins are going for $4.99 each. They consider a large pumpkin to be a bit bigger then a basket ball.

I end up getting about 14 of them. I also like the "Cinderella" pumpkins and get a few of those too. I love the rich deeper orange color.

Last edited:
I haven't priced them in the stores, we're going to the farm hopefully on Sunday to pick our own. Last year I paid $3 each for approximately 25" diameter, plus an hour or so of entertainment for the little people and a free hayride through the orchard thrown in for good measure. Worth it. :thup:

I have to be honest ... I have no idea what I paid for my pumpkins. Per pound I'm sayin'. When I go looking for my fall pumpkins, I of course look at the shape and size. Depending much on what I'm going to do with them. But the main factor in purchasing the ones I do, is the stem. Yes, the stem. I like a funky twisted stem on my pumpkins. It drives me insane when I go to pay for them and the person weighing and ringing picks them up by the stem! WTF? Don't do that! Don'tcha know it could snap off? Before I know it, my mouth opens and a suggestion to pick it up from the bottom excapes.

I like to have a variety of traditional orange and lumina white.

Last edited:
We don't buy them around here. When we want a pumpkin, we wait until Harold, up the road, has gone to town and we go to his pumpkin patch and snatch us one. All the neighbors do it. Harold knows we raid his pumpkin patch and is a good sport about it. He does the same thing to our sweet corn in the summer. We all get along somehow.

Not sure actually!
I am taking my son up to Green Bluff a farming community that has a lot of farms where you can pick your own pumpkin, along with apples, and you can go on hay rides. One place has a shop and a maze etc.

What are pumpkins? Is that where the cans come from? How do they grow them in the sealed cans? I didn't know they had cans that big. Can we make a pie? I'll bring the whipped cream. Do you have any dishes? Spoons? I like to eat mine with a fork, how about you...........

$2.90 per in west central Indiana at the store. Guy at the outside the National Guard Armory has several hundred sitting out there, not sure what he charges but if you go out and pick them in the field they are probably a lot cheaper.

I see a lot of people just draw a face instead of carving it up. That is part of the experience with carving a "Jack a Lantern." That and the proliferation of plastic pumpkins with lights in them. Without the flickering candle inside of a real pumpkin the effect gets lost. Ahhh ... technology!

... named after the phenomenon of strange light flickering over peat bogs, called ignis fatuus or jack-o'-lantern.
from Wikepedia

.40 per lb at the pick your own place. $5 (on sale last week for $4) per pumpkin at the food store. Gourds were .79 at the food store last week. Someone stole our tall, pale one. Fukin' pitas.

The big pumpkin festival around here is in half moon bay. I always baught my pumpkins there thinking that they would be the better price and quality. Fresh off the farm so to speak. I never thought to consider the pirce of them as i just didnt pay much mind. You would go out into the patch, pick a pumpkin and set it on the table and they would tell you what it cost. $25 bucks.....oh ok. $30 bucks...oh ok. !3 pumpkins at that price adds up. It never dawned on me that i was getting RIPPED! Then one year we went a week eairly to get the pick of the patch and what to our surprise....they were off loading the pumpkins form a truck! They were not grown there at all.

Then one day i looked at safeway :ack-1: :wtf::wtf: A large pumpkin for $4. Ive been reformed! To hell with the patch! :lol:

I like the tall ones better then the short round ones, much better for carving.

Ive also gotten a few "Big mac" pumpkins. At the farm it was $200. I just saw them today at safeway for $50. They are HUGE and really heavy...but very effective and impressive. I dont carve the big macs just sit them at the doorstep. One year we got it to last for two Halloweens. :)

I know, yes i am crazy. Its a lot of money to carve up and toss. But the kids all love them and it makes great memories. :)

I have to be honest ... I have no idea what I paid for my pumpkins. Per pound I'm sayin'. When I go looking for my fall pumpkins, I of course look at the shape and size. Depending much on what I'm going to do with them. But the main factor in purchasing the ones I do, is the stem. Yes, the stem. I like a funky twisted stem on my pumpkins. It drives me insane when I go to pay for them and the person weighing and ringing picks them up by the stem! WTF? Don't do that! Don'tcha know it could snap off? Before I know it, my mouth opens and a suggestion to pick it up from the bottom excapes.

I like to have a variety of traditional orange and lumina white.

ooohhh me too, i love the stems! the really curly ones are just the best! One year i was so disappointed that the stem dried up and feel off. My very kind husband hot glued it back on for me! :lol:

What are pumpkins? Is that where the cans come from? How do they grow them in the sealed cans? I didn't know they had cans that big. Can we make a pie? I'll bring the whipped cream. Do you have any dishes? Spoons? I like to eat mine with a fork, how about you...........

There are better ways and places to eat pumpkin pie with whipped cream. ;) And it does not require spoons or forks! :lol:

We don't buy them around here. When we want a pumpkin, we wait until Harold, up the road, has gone to town and we go to his pumpkin patch and snatch us one. All the neighbors do it. Harold knows we raid his pumpkin patch and is a good sport about it. He does the same thing to our sweet corn in the summer. We all get along somehow.

I see, so your a pumpkin rustler! hehehehe. SSSSHHHH i wont tell.

WOW, how much fun is that. I need to come live where you live. :)

.40 per lb at the pick your own place. $5 (on sale last week for $4) per pumpkin at the food store. Gourds were .79 at the food store last week. Someone stole our tall, pale one. Fukin' pitas.

For an ornamental corp. They sure are making out good. Ok that sucks having someone steal you pumpkin! I know how you feel its happen to us on a few occasions.

Not sure actually!
I am taking my son up to Green Bluff a farming community that has a lot of farms where you can pick your own pumpkin, along with apples, and you can go on hay rides. One place has a shop and a maze etc.

LOL....ok the rules are if you cant carry it you cant have it. :lol: Ok i hate sitting on the hay bales! They are always poking me.

There are better ways and places to eat pumpkin pie with whipped cream. ;) And it does not require spoons or forks! :lol:

What about spooning and forking...........

What about spooning and forking...........

Totally different subject :lol:

Punkins is one thing.......but if I had a field of sweet corn, anyone stepping foot on it is getting a buttload of buckshot! Just sayin'. That's like sleeping with another man's wife.

Forum List

Back