Pulse of the Board: Abortion

What is your stance on abortion?

• Abortion should never be allowed unless the mother's life depends on it.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Abortion should be allowed only in the cases of rape, incest, or if the mother's health would be ser

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Abortion should be generally available through the first trimester of pregancy.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Abortion should be available upon demand at any time during a pregnancy.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Abortion should be illegal under any circumstance

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is my favorite veiw on abortion. Complaments to Maddox and his genius. http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=regressive

"I have a different stance on abortion: I'm against abortion, but for killing babies. That way everyone loses, and I win. I'm neither pro choice, nor pro life; I'm pro you-shutting-the-hell-up. The only way I'd be "pro choice" is if it meant I could choose which babies I could abort, and only then if I could lift the age restriction to 80. I was at this mall the other day watching some shitty documentary when I came out of the theater and saw old people dancing to country music in the courtyard. I couldn't remember the last time I saw a group of people begging this hard to be aborted. "

Pure Genius. And damned funny too. Safe stances suck. I think we should have NO ABORTIONS. unless the mother's health is in danger Rape victim's will have a child, they won't get to choose the father, but they will have a child. And crack-babies...sad, but they shouldn't be cast aside with abortion.

:confused:

i believe abortion to be morally wrong. this is deeply personal for me because i had a girlfriend who ignored my POV completely and went out and got an abortion. the baby wasn't even mine, but the product of a very bad decision from before we met. would not have changed the way i feel about her, and having known this person for ten years, i would have gladly raised the baby as if it were my own.

however, like many things in life, this is a personal covenant between the woman and whatever higher power (if any) she believes in. the decision to turn your womb into a tomb is a very serious one, and sadly many women are making this like a snap decision, because they lack quality counseling or are too afraid or embarassed to ask for help. a well intentioned section of society demonizes these women, instead of reaching out and helping them. perhaps more abortions could be prevented if these people had better assistance, advice and support.
keep in mind that quite a considerable number of girls and women who consider or have an abortion are not in a good, solid state of mind during their decision making process. they're not acting mature, not thinking things through, focused only on the consequences and dangers of having the baby, much like men of all races, creeds and classes who abdicate their responsibilties and become deadbeat dads (mainly on an immature reaction to the responsibility of becoming a dad and its consequences and changes to ther lifestyles.)

so its morally wrong to me, but i also think banning it via the federal gov't would cause these back alley abortions to increase substantially. after all, by banning it, they're just making the circumstances of the decision that much desperate and dangerous. and these people are generally not thinking things through very well.

so there should be a poll option for "its wrong, but i wouldn't ban it"

USMB Abortion Stance results pro-choice analysis, thus far:

Pro-choice:
1/30 voted that abortion should be allowed at any time.
8/30 voted that abortion should generally be allowed during first trimester.
14/30 voted that abortion should be allowed in cases of rape, incest or mother's serious health risk.

That's 23/30 or 77% voting for a woman's choice, in some instances and 35% of those people feel that abortion should generally be allowed in the first trimester.

flasher, I disagree. I believe that those who voted for the rape/incest/serious health caveats are really pro-life votes - and I was one of them. Generally, women do not choose to be rape victims, to get pregnant from an immediate family member, or to get pregnant despite serious health risks. If you want to analyze the pro-choice vote, take choices #3 and 4. The pro-life choices are #1,2, and 5. And currently, of 30 votes, 21 favor the pro-life position - 70%.

The most unnatural thing in the world is asking a woman whether she considers the flesh of her womb to be a fetus or a baby.

Rape victims are left to decide this for themselves.
Incest victims as well. What separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom? The right to decide who we want to have sexual relations with, among other things.

Very harsh punishments should be handed out for violent rape, and incest; treat it as a murder. If the woman was attacked by a stranger, not out on a date with that person, then that crime should be treated like murder. After all, you are then asking that woman whether or not she can decide what she wants to do with the 'new life' left inside her, and is that not asking her whether she believes it is ok to remove it, or whether she feels that is murdering this 'new life'?

Laws need punishments to fit the crime, no?

If we are able to decide whether a person has committed a murder in society, and then lock them up accordingly, then our justice system should be able to decide if a violent rape was committed, and do the same.

Rape committed on a date is a more questionable situation, where it is harder to decide whether a date was used to commit a rape, or whether consensual sex seemed like it was on the way and then someone backed out. (I'm trying to separate the two, without saying the latter is ok)

Society helps to confuse young people by sending out a message to use sexuality as power, dress sexually, speak sexually, tease, but this is done without all young people first deciding whether or not they want to be sexually active. Why not teach our young people to really think about whether or not they wish to have sex with a particular person before flaunting their sexuality with that person, and prepare them better for the situation they may find themselves in on a date with that person. Parents, talk to your kids. It's ridiculous to assume that just because you think your child should 'wait til an appropriate time, or age', or think that because you told them not to have sex that will keep them off each other. We are afraid to ask them to make adult decisions about sex because they are children but their bodies tell them to start thinking about it at age 10 nowadays, and we expect them to feel ready for their first back-seat experience as a teen?

And if a person is known to be sexually active, or even promiscuous, then that person should know that he/she puts him/herself in a position where they NEED to be more careful on a date. Because there are people out there who want to take advantage of your advertised promiscuity. You can back yourself into a situation where if you're not willing to have sex with someone, you just shouldn't go out on a date with that person.

As for asking a mother to decide between her own life, or the 'new life' inside her, I only hope the day comes when a doctor can remove the 'new life', set it up on it's own, and bring it to full term without using the mother's womb, before I ever have to make that decision.

I can't vote, because I don't want to choose unless I ever really have to.

Many interesting issues here but it still sounds to me like you are saying abortion should be treated as murder, no matter what manner the impregnation took place. Am I correct?

Originally posted by gop_jeff
flasher, I disagree. I believe that those who voted for the rape/incest/serious health caveats are really pro-life votes - and I was one of them. Generally, women do not choose to be rape victims, to get pregnant from an immediate family member, or to get pregnant despite serious health risks. If you want to analyze the pro-choice vote, take choices #3 and 4. The pro-life choices are #1,2, and 5. And currently, of 30 votes, 21 favor the pro-life position - 70%.

Well, there are all sorts of ways to interpret data. I chose one and had to do it on the fly as I was in class.

That said, you voted pro-choice with caveats. You may be pro-life, essentially, but if you believe abortion is okay in cases of rape/inbcest/health then by definition, in some cases, you believe in a woman's right to choose.

One day, maybe people will come to an agreement on what a woman can do with her body and what she can't. I'm just glad that no one is telling me what to do with mine.

Anyway, til later....
good day.

Originally posted by dilloduck
Many interesting issues here but it still sounds to me like you are saying abortion should be treated as murder, no matter what manner the impregnation took place. Am I correct?

Sorry, things are different for women who have already conceived and birthed children vs. those who don't yet understand what it's like to bring new life into this world. It's not fair for me to say.

Originally posted by nycflasher
Well, there are all sorts of ways to interpret data. I chose one and had to do it on the fly as I was in class.

That said, you voted pro-choice with caveats. You may be pro-life, essentially, but if you believe abortion is okay in cases of rape/inbcest/health then by definition, in some cases, you believe in a woman's right to choose.

I understand your point. But I believe it is more of a pro-life-with-caveats position for three reasons: first, it protects the baby's life in all but these three circumstances, second, those three circumstances account for about 2-3% of all abortions, and third, it is the position of most people that you would consider "pro-life."

New Topics

Forum List

Back