Pulp Fiction

I think first and foremost its about entertaining an audience with a tale about bad people doing bad things to each other.

I don't relly think it has an underlying theme much deeper than that.

Great movie, very entertaining, but that's about it.

It gives some insight, I suppose, to certain lifestyles that some of us would have little to no clue about, otherwise.

Hahahahahaha... and now I better understand why television usually bores me to pieces... unless, of course, I am looking for something specific.

Haha, gotta agree with Editec on this one. There's nothing particularly profound, intellectually or philosophically, that Tarantino was saying with Pulp Fiction as a film, even though a few of the conversations within the movie were dealing with topics in a manner that, compared to dialogue in most flicks, is fairly heady (the foot fetish thing for example). The sequence of events and style of filming, though, didn't seem to have any particular coherent point at all. Tarantino's movie making style in general (his filming tactics and the way he weaves complex stories non-chronologically and the way he separates his movies into labelled sections that seem like they might be more at home in a college art-house than a Regal Theaters franchise) tends to give his movies the appearance of artistic profundity despite a general lack thereof.

At any rate, the guy's specialty seems to be those drawn out dialogues, and they're usually witty and, in my opinion, highly entertaining. Also, the casting and coaching has to be on point, because the acting in his flicks is always top notch. He uses a lot of guys that aren't the currently insanely popular A list stars, but have solid acting chops or at least mannerisms that line up beautifully with their character parts. Other than the Kill Bill's (Good God watching Uma Thurman try to pull off the tough chick role was EXCRUTIATING), I've never watched a Tarantino flick that I didn't enjoy thoroughly.

Last edited:
The objective of theater is to stimulate the imagination, which can be done either tastefully or crudely. There is no philosophical point to be made in Pulp Fiction. Its only purpose is to provide a stimulating relief from the mundane reality of ordinary daily life in civilized society (I'm sure soldiers serving in combat zones would be bored by such movies).

Pulp fiction is a lot of attractive, pretty good actors engaging in interestingly unusual and uniquely violent activities. My only comment about that movie is it was very well done and thoroughly enjoyable.

Forum List

Back