Pulling my hair out!

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Figuratively because there's little left to pull.
I have been trying to figure out how to set up a home server for files and a central e-mail repository.
I've tried to set up FreeNAS but I think you need VMware to run it, however since none of the instructions are clear...... :dunno:
I tried Ubuntu Server but here it's all terminal commands and again the instructions are not designed for n00bs, far to much Geekanese.
Other than buying Windows Home Server, which I really don't want to do, I see no way for entry level Geekanese speakers to figure this out.

I have been trying to figure out how to set up a home server for files and a central e-mail repository.
I've tried to set up FreeNAS but I think you need VMware to run it, however since none of the instructions are clear...... :dunno:
I tried Ubuntu Server but here it's all terminal commands and again the instructions are not designed for n00bs, far to much Geekanese.
Other than buying Windows Home Server, which I really don't want to do, I see no way for entry level Geekanese speakers to figure this out.

It has been a while since I have built one...but Redhat was king for this years ago.
When you install Redhat, you have an option of choosing "server or desktop".
If you choose server you have the option to choose pre-installed email servers, SAMBA for file servers etc.
I found this:
redhat.com | How to set up a home email server

You're ruined the illusion now... and with it, my day is a little less sunny. :evil:

I like shiney things

i-love-shiny-things.png

Have you considered just buying a home NAS?

You can pick them up for less than $200

FRYS.com | LG

Have you considered just buying a home NAS?

You can pick them up for less than $200

FRYS.com*|*LG
The idea was to spend no money, I already have an old P4 that would work fine if the online server instructions actually matched the install and setup without omitting steps the "author" probably forgot n00bs don't know about. :mad:

You're ruined the illusion now... and with it, my day is a little less sunny. :evil:
Who loves ya baby?

1063761_f520.jpg

The idea was to spend no money, I already have an old P4 that would work fine if the online server instructions actually matched the install and setup without omitting steps the "author" probably forgot n00bs don't know about. :mad:

5 years ago I was with you, but you'll spend $179 on a new SATA drive, more if the P4 needs an IDE drive.

Anyway, here is a pretty comprehensive instruction list for Ubuntu 11.4

Creating A Home Media & File Server With Ubuntu | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

5 years ago I was with you, but you'll spend $179 on a new SATA drive, more if the P4 needs an IDE drive.

Anyway, here is a pretty comprehensive instruction list for Ubuntu 11.4

Creating A Home Media & File Server With Ubuntu | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
Thanks, it's IDE configured and I have extra 40 and 20 GB drives. I read a while back Ubuntu desktop could also be used as a server, I just couldn't find the instructions. I'd prefer to use and older (and faster) Ubuntu version like 10.04.

Forum List

Back