Pull menthol cigarettes, FDA advisers urge

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Shadow, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    The availability of menthol-flavored cigarettes is linked to a rise in the number of children and African Americans who smoke and the cigarettes should be taken off the market, an FDA advisory committee said Friday.

The Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee met to evaluate the available science on the impact of menthol cigarettes on public health, including children, African-Americans, Hispanics, and other ethnic and racial minorities. The group determined menthol cigarette smokers do not have a greater risk of diseases related to smoking when compared with non-menthol cigarette smokers. But, menthol in cigarettes increased experimentation, raised the risk of progression to a regular smoker, increased smoking among kids, and their availability increased the chance of addiction–and even the degree of addiction in children.

"The TPSAC also found that the public health impact of menthol cigarette availability is substantial," said Dr. Jonathan Samet, chair of the advisory panel. "The availability of menthol cigarettes leads to an increase in the number of cigarette smokers and the burden of premature mortality."

Pull menthol cigarettes, FDA advisers urge – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

2. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,482
    Screw it.....why not just ban them all?

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Just make em all illegal and move on to the next thing that will save our lives.

4. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    Because...They are doing this to save the Children (and African American's) . Didn't you read the article. :)

5. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    I never understood why black people like menthols so much. This is one of those stereotypes that absolutely is true. Those things are so nasty.

6. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Better yet ban ALL tobacco and consumable alcohol products entirely.

7. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    Dilloduck states: "Just make em all illegal and move on to the next thing that will save our lives."

Yes, that next thing that will control our lives, sucking away one freedom at a time until we start needing government permission to do anything. "SALUTE!"

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    that's stupid

9. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    Not just Blacks, but a few Whites too. In fact, most of the people in my family who smoke, or used to smoke, prefer menthols for some reason, including my WWII vet grandfather. I think he smoked Salem(?) the rest are/were Marlboro types.

I quit smoking 22 years ago but when I did I occasionally smoked a menthol. I didn't like em because they usually gave me this sharp pain in my side and lungs. I guess there's some sort of chemical that gives em that flavor. Anyone remember True Cigarettes? My mom used to smoke those nasty things!

(Yes, yes I know! Cigarettes have many different chemicals in them, I've heard that lecture before.)

As far as cigarettes go, the should never be banned. I kind of look at it like a civil liberties issue. If you wanna' smoke, go ahead, that's yer choice.

The taxes should be removed as well. Poor, uneducated people smoke more than the educated wealthy types. It's a fact, look it up. So that tax affects poor people the most, and they are the ones who can least afford it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Shadow

Shadow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +926
    I think the tax increases were to manipulate people to quit. However, I did see an article where a few states were going to implement a decrease in cigarette tax. RI, NH and NJ if I remember correctly.

N.H. House Votes Cigarette Tax Decrease to Senate
    N.H. House Votes Cigarette Tax Decrease to Senate - Tobacco - CSNews - Tobacco Retailing

NH, RI, NJ buck trend, propose cigarette tax cut
    NH, RI, NJ buck trend, propose cigarette tax cut | Comcast.net